Joeputz

Transmission Shifter Question

Joeputz

Hey guys, I had a question about transmission shifter's for my project. I searched the sight and could not find any info regarding my question. I have a 1961 551 Suburban that I'm trying to do an as close as possible restoration on. I have two, two piece transmissions for it but, I'm missing both gear shift levers. I was wondering if a different model wheel horse gear shifter could be used, if I was able to bend it into the shape I need using pictures. I cant seem to find a shift lever anywhere and I was wondering if this is something anyone else has had to do before. Any help would be great. 

• Like 2

Racinbob

Yes, any unidrive shift lever will work providing it clears everything. Reshaping is an option.  I have one that was given to me that's a 68 with the flip back fenders. The shifter wouldn't pull back far enough to use 1st and reverse. Disassembly told me that it was a much earlier transmission and when it was swapped out they probably left the original shift lever in it.:)

• Like 3

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs:

953 nut

:WRS:             If you need any information on these take a look at this tread by @stevasaurus, he is the man on transaxles.

Joeputz

Thanks guys for the quick replys. Ill look and see if I can find any unidrive shifter then, and if need be i can try to reshape it. Ill definetly be using that thread stevasaurus has on the disassembly and bearing replacement too thank you for that post. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Hey Joe...the shifter you are looking for is a Wheel Horse #3577.  It has one bend, just above the boot, toward the front and is straight the rest of the way up.  :)  I may have one in the garage, but I really do not want to get rid of it.  I would bet @A-Z Tractor has one, or we could get one from the Big Show in June...if you are not in a huge hurry.  Let me know what you think.  :)

2011_12025007BRRLY0015.JPG

1.4.JPG

• Like 4

Joeputz

I actually just picked one up from member on here last week, along with a 702 belt guard that my grandfather needed. I really appreciate all the help you guys give here, this is such a friendly and great site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1