Walhonding520

Mounting a blade

Walhonding520

I have an atv blade that has the correct dimensions to fit under my 520. I’ve looked a good bit on here and google. From what I see, I just need to fab two mounting brackets for the rear axle and attach to the deck lift. Are the wheel horse model blades lifted by the hydraulic deck lift also? Are there any other areas of attachment I need?

Ed Kennell

Yes, the  Wheel Horse made snow/dozer blades attach to the rear axle and are lifted by the hydraulic lift.     The frame must be long enough to allow the blade to clear the front wheels when the blade is angled.

• Like 2

Tankman

Ed's got it nailed. I stretched a frame at the front to clear tires. My '90 520-8 has the swept forward front axle.

Formed 2 channels 4 1/2"  long, outside dimensions matched the blade frame.

2 more channels, dimensions matched the frame inside dimensions, 12" long.

1/8" wire for the angle release. 11/2" rod 4" long for the blade angle.

Some welding, easy enough. Works great. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Frame_Ext_Snow_Plow.png.158cc3cda89bc02b2524e29ae9d9bb26.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

I also made a front stabilizer to prevent left to right movement and to stop the frame from hitting the front axle.

IMG_5536.JPG.fad8a6f71106596ba04060153595ff8d.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

Here's the frame with extensions for the '90 and newer 520 with swept front axle and my rendetion of the anti sway bar not to mention you'll be missing out on the angle from seat convenience of the proper :wh: version, Jeff.

IMAG3673.jpg

IMAG3672.jpg

IMAG3757.jpg

IMAG3759.jpg

IMAG2553.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Not to dissuade you from recycling  existing  parts.     I and others really enjoy creating something out of existing junke.   Don't we John @wallfish?

But I have bought and sold many genuine Wheel Horse  plows for $80 to $150.    Just sayin.

• Like 2

Walhonding520

I know there are a few of the WH plows on Craigslist for a good price. But I am 1. Cheap and this atv plow was free and 2. Tight on time so finding on and getting one.

My 520 is an 89 and doesn’t have the front swept axles so from my measurements it should work but if not I guess I’ll be making some changes lol.

I like the idea of the front stabilizer. Side sway has been a problem in my head and I like those ideas.

Another problem I’m worried about is front traction. Tread isn’t bad and front tires are loaded (about 25 lbs total).  Is this enough? I’ve thought about putting larger tires on.

Ed Kennell

Front steering has not been a problem for me when plowing.     Some members install a sprocket chain around the center of the front tires to provide steering traction.

• Like 1

Walhonding520

Hillbilly, what size tires are those on the front?

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Walhonding520 said:

Hillbilly, what size tires are those on the front?

16x7.50-8 standard for the swept forward axle 520s 16x6.50-8 are easier/cheaper to come by, Jeff.

wallfish
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I and others really enjoy creating something out of existing junke.   Don't we John @wallfish?

Who, me?

I just put all that extra scrap iron on wheels so it can be moved around easier and faster! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

Who, me?

I just put all that extra scrap iron on wheels so it can be moved around easier and faster! 

And throw a motor in it. Voila!

:wh:Motorcycle. :wh:

• Like 2

Walhonding520

As I’m working on this blade, I’m curious about the dimensions of an actual wheel horse blade. I would someone who owns one that would fit my standard axle 520 mind posting its measurements? Length from mounting end (back) to back of the blade. Width at the back of the frame where it mounts to the rear axle.  

I know I can make it fit however I need to but I’m sore there is a reason for the dimensions on a wheel horse blade and I wouldn’t mind at least knowing them. Thanks in advance

Tankman
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Here's the frame with extensions for the '90 and newer 520 with swept front axle and my rendetion of the anti sway bar not to mention you'll be missing out on the angle from seat convenience of the proper :wh: version, Jeff.

Can you post a picture of the anti-sway bar loose? Or a dimensioned sketch?

I need one, shop time. Honest Hon. I'll be done soon then I'll fix your sewing machine. :ROTF:

WVHillbilly520H
8 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Can you post a picture of the anti-sway bar loose? Or a dimensioned sketch?

I need one, shop time. Honest Hon. I'll be done soon then I'll fix your sewing machine. :ROTF:

I'll get you one by tomorrow...

WVHillbilly520H

@Tankman, here's some close ups with the tape measure...Rod through the attach-a-matic 8" long, the top is 6" to fit inside the frame and 9" long to the blade frame (used the torch and vice to make 90° bend), 1/4" hole drilled about 1/2" from end for a bolt as stop, then 1/4" flat bar (I used the corner of box tubing) for the brace bolt to the blade frame, (and yes I need to get it to the powder coater), Jeff.

IMAG4199.jpg

IMAG4198.jpg

IMAG4200.jpg

IMAG4201.jpg

IMAG4202.jpg

IMAG4203.jpg

IMAG4204.jpg

Tankman
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@Tankman, here's some close ups with the tape measure...Rod through the attach-a-matic 8" long, the top is 6" to fit inside the frame and 9" long to the blade frame (used the torch and vice to make 90° bend), 1/4" hole drilled about 1/2" from end for a bolt as stop, then 1/4" flat bar (I used the corner of box tubing) for the brace bolt to the blade frame, (and yes I need to get it to the powder coater), Jeff.

Thank You Jeff!  Looks easy enough and like the project as well as the purpose. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Pray tell, what diameter rods are you using? Looks quite beefy!  Art

WVHillbilly520H
12 hours ago, Tankman said:

Thank You Jeff!  Looks easy enough and like the project as well as the purpose. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Pray tell, what diameter rods are you using? Looks quite beefy!  Art

5/8" diameter anchor in the hitch and 3/4" for sway bar itself, based off the Xi blade I had.

• Like 1

Walhonding520

That looks like a very simple but very functional sway bar. I will be adding one to my blade before I am done.

Currently I have it stepped down to what I want. Tomorrow I will be extending the frame with some gas line pipe and bending it to the correct width. I think the best way to get the length right will be to just put it under the tractor and see how it fits. I’m just going to use angle iron and some bolts to making mounting brackets on the axle.

Tankman

Looks a bit like this Jeff. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Anti-Sway.jpg

Anti-Sway.pdf

Edited by Tankman
  • Thanks 1

Tankman

Snow plow rear axle mounting.

40+ years ago, 1st Horse quickly picked up a snow plow.

Almost complete but no rear axle mount. Ouch! No internet to search for one.

Fab'd a few pieces 1/4" CRS. Mounted on the rear axle, large hole on the plow frame hanging rod.

To remove the plow, loosen one side and drop the frame. Tighten the loose hanger alter the plow frame was down. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Posted a dimensional drawing in the "Drawings" listing.  http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/68339-some-drawings/?page=2

Rear_Axle_Plow_Mtg.jpg

Edited by Tankman

Walhonding520

Extended the frame and built mounting brackets for rear end.  So far I’m good with my lift attachment. Going to finish up the anti sway bar when I get time. The bar is welded up and fits in tach mount on front but need to weld bracket onto the blade. Doesn’t sway bad anyway. Used it today a little to clean the driveway up and worked pretty good. Happy with it for free. I’m sure I’ll have some adjustments. Loaded atv tires seem to push pretty well. Almost wish it would snow one more time... almost.

7BE1D832-F8E1-49AA-A3A1-E2C87FE6DA8A.jpeg

108840C4-9CDD-427A-B5B8-117BE4EDB609.jpeg

E125CE3D-0CF4-4D2F-935F-2EED3469FECD.jpeg

• Excellent 1