Evil Archer 300

518-H Restoration

Evil Archer 300

I'm restoring a 518-H. It has the Eaton 700 Transaxle. I have located a Gentleman that has a replacement 1100. He also has all the parts to turn it into a 8 speed. I have a 310-8 that I love. I'm seriously considering making the change. What are your thoughts. I live on hilly property, The Tractor will be used for mowing and snow removal

wheel horse 1.jpg

wheel horse 2.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

I would go with the 1100. If you go to the eight speed you will be giving up the hydraulic lift. Unless you installed an electric lift from a 417-8 (hard to find) you would have to change the whole lift lever/rock shaft as well as the clutch and brake system. As tough as an Eaton 1100 is I can't see going to the eight speed.

This was my first winter plowing snow with a hydro (418-C) and i have become a fan of hydros. 

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

For mowing and blowing hydro all the way, but then again I use my 520H for everything, Jeff.

• Like 2

Jerry77
2 hours ago, Evil Archer 300 said:

I have located a Gentleman that has a replacement 1100.

By all means, go with the 1100 and leave the rest - you won't regret it and it is an easy swap...forget the 8 speed......:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

Try a foot controlled hydro with hydraulic lift for plowing or blowing snow and you'll never go back to shifting gears.

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:

Try a foot controlled hydro with hydraulic lift for plowing or blowing snow and you'll never go back to shifting gears.

I agree with only one caveat, twin side by side pedals, with the xi I had the toe/heel was awkward for ME, just my personal opinion, Jeff.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I have never had a two pedal  or a  toe / heel control  pedal, but I can see it would be cumbersome.

My foot controls only have one spring loaded pedal on the right side....push down to go forward and raise up to go backward. 

One pedal movement thru the complete range of forward and reverse.  

The neutral/brake pedal on the left side is still functional and will stop the tractors instantly when pushed.

I must add, my control can only be added to the console mounted levers.  It will not work on the levers mounted on the steering column.

• Like 1

Jerry77
26 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

My foot controls only have one spring loaded pedal on the right side

I saw Ed's homemade foot control and it is really neat - I bought a right side pedal and am going to set mine up just like the ones that Ed has done  ..can't wait for it to warm up so I can get started....  to clarify: the default position is reverse...that way you have control because the left side pedal takes it to neutral...easy/peasy.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

cafoose
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have never had a two pedal  or a  toe / heel control  pedal, but I can see it would be cumbersome.

My foot controls only have one spring loaded pedal on the right side....push down to go forward and raise up to go backward. 

One pedal movement thru the complete range of forward and reverse.  

The neutral/brake pedal on the left side is still functional and will stop the tractors instantly when pushed.

I must add, my control can only be added to the console mounted levers.  It will not work on the levers mounted on the steering column.

I'd like to see how you made this with some :text-coolphotos:I have a 520HC and I was thinking of adding foot control to it but I don't care for the heel reverse motion myself. I'm sure others would be interested too :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
8 hours ago, cafoose said:

I'd like to see how you made this with some :text-coolphotos:I have a 520HC and I was thinking of adding foot control to it but I don't care for the heel reverse motion myself. I'm sure others would be interested too :handgestures-thumbupright:

I have included you in a PM conversation I had with another member detailing this foot control.    Due to safety concerns with the automatic reverse default, I am reluctant to recommend it to the inexperienced operator.     If you don't get the link, send me a PM.     

Sorry for the   :text-offtopic:

cafoose
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have included you in a PM conversation I had with another member detailing this foot control.    Due to safety concerns with the automatic reverse default, I am reluctant to recommend it to the inexperienced operator.     If you don't get the link, send me a PM.     

Sorry for the   :text-offtopic:

:text-thankyouyellow:Ed I got it

index.jpg.4132c62eec3373921cff7e5478385a1f.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

cleat

I have converted all 4 of mine to Matt's foot pedal setup and love them all.

You use your toe for both forward and reverse, just move your foot back a bit and push the inner pedal for reverse.

In a short time it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it, it just becomes automatic.

Safe too, just lift your foot and all motion stops.

We have a Cub at work that has the two pedals side by side for forward and reverse and it does not work nearly as well.

I had an old Ford LGT165 that had heel and toe control and it was a little awkward as well.

Cleat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
47 minutes ago, cleat said:

I have converted all 4 of mine to Matt's foot pedal setup and love them all.

You use your toe for both forward and reverse, just move your foot back a bit and push the inner pedal for reverse.

In a short time it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it, it just becomes automatic.

Safe too, just lift your foot and all motion stops.

We have a Cub at work that has the two pedals side by side for forward and reverse and it does not work nearly as well.

I had an old Ford LGT165 that had heel and toe control and it was a little awkward as well.

Cleat

I have tried out a few SCUT with the twin pedal worked really well and very intuitive to use never tried the CC, but I ended up with gear drive units for price and PTO horsepower especially with the 3 acres of hill to mow here,good Jeff.