ebinmaine

What's the quietest stack Muffler? I'd like as much input as possible.

ebinmaine

I've searched a bit on the site here and I know this has been touched on before but I couldn't find a definitive answer and I want to get input from any of the newer members as well.

I do fully realize that a small engine makes quite a lot of noise without even counting for the exhaust notes. That said, I would like to keep my c-160 as quiet as possible.

I put a cub Muffler as a stand-up stack on my B 80 and I'm happy with that but it was a rather expensive Muffler and I'm trying to do something less expensive.

I'd really like to try to spend less than 50 or $60 for all the piping and clamps.

What are you all doing for exhaust that is quiet and works well?

• Like 1

squonk

Eric, I had the darndest time with the noise my 1267 made. It had a pancake to start off with. I tried a couple of stacks and it quieted some but the quietest is this muffler I got from Jim Kemp.

5a943b0c77842_show001.JPG.3ab1cd66304c1d6f6323396ec6e38e73.JPG

After the engine in this tractor went bad it was replaced and the new engine was quieter yet with this muffler. Since then I went with a short stack which is louder but not to the point of being obnoxious so I'm staying with the shortie. This stack pictured will be for sale at the show in PA. If interested PM me and we can talk.

• Like 1

Pullstart

My cherry bomb is... not that quiet.  Sorry for the poor quality, but you get the point. 

I welded a plate and a 3/4" pipe spud on the bottom to adapt to a street 90 and welded the stock baffle out of my 750 Honda Shadow in the outlet side, with a flapper on top.

jellyghost

I would love to hear answers to this question too!

C-101plowerpower

ive got this one, kind of the same as we've got on the cub but quieter since one cant look right through it(guess that means its baffled?) bought it at a show for 4 tenners

Joshn569

Im here to follow along. I normally like my stuff loud, but im looking to make my wheel horse as quite as possible with a stack.

Edited by Joshn569

953 nut

Nelson mufflers are not cheap, but they are good!

http://www.nelsonglobalproducts.com/catalogs/

Years back I had a portable welder with a 14 HP Kohler and I went to a local muffler shop and he sold me a used compact car muffler that quieted it down to where I could carry on a conversation while welding. Not that anyone wanted to hear what I had to say.   :ychain:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine Make sure you catch with with the @squonk at the day and time for the exchange of money and muffler or you shall be known as "where is that guy ,junior"  Don't ask you will find out at the Big Show .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

compact car muffler that quieted it down to where I could carry on a conversation

I thought about doing something like this but:

1. I like the stack look.

2. I don't want to mount it where it would a.) look stupid, or b.) be in the way such as below the frame or c.) be near anything that can't get hot.

3. I like the stack look.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine The quietest stack is the one when the engine is not running. Had to go there.:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

JPWH

@ebinmaine this is what I made for my custom 12. I am going to make a shorter version in the near future.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@JPWH Jay is the Raider going to make it to the Big Show?

JPWH
9 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@JPWH Jay is the Raider going to make it to the Big Show?

It will if I get to go. I'm still working on that. This is our 10th anniversary so we're going on an 8 day Alaskan cruise in mid May so I don't know if I can get the time off from work that soon after a week and a half off. If not it will be there next year.

• Sad 3

Sparky

The stacks that Bud Andrews was building are nice and quiet. I'm not sure if he is building them anymore. Picked up a couple of brand new ones from Aldon at Stevebo's meet-n-greet this fall and installed the first one on my Commando. Its definitely quieter than the original muffler which was 50 years old and rotted out near the bottom. These have 1" threads so they would work on a C-160....just not sure a 16 would be a quiet as my little 8hp Kohler.

I painted the chrome portion with hi-heat black....chrome just didn't look right.

Commando old muffler.jpg

Commando stack.jpg

Commando black stack.jpg

• Like 5

Chris G

This is one of the stacks Jim Kemp makes. It on a 701 7hp kohler. It's a 8 inch muffler with 8 inch chrome tip. 

20171017_160231.3gp

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 3

squonk

Bush's muffler on a 14 has a little bark to it. The stack I  have in my picture is quiter

• Like 2

wallfish

How about using 2 and stack them together?

A muffler with a much larger pipe diameter and reduce it down to fit the 1 inch pipe.

• Like 1

Sarge

The original C-series muffler is actually pretty quiet, some have adapted them in a flipped fashion and ran it more like a stack. That K341 is pretty tough to tone down due to the bore and stroke without restricting it too much and backing up heat to the exhaust valve.

Jim Camp's version works pretty well,  even with the alternating firing order on the D's K482 it's not all that loud - unless the governor kicks in.

Sarge

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

How about using 2 and stack them together?

A muffler with a much larger pipe diameter and reduce it down to fit the 1 inch pipe.

That's exactly what I might do on the other reason that I'm asking about these Mufflers. Remember the old antique generator that I posted? That has no Muffler. I'd like to get that as quiet as possible but I have lots of room to play with that. I could easily do as @953 nut suggested and use a car muffler and some flex pipe into it.

As far as the c-160, I think @squonk has the solution.

Thank you everyone who posted for this. And please keep them coming. I know I'm not the only one looking for information here so let's share as much as we can.

• Like 1

Sarge

Just keep in mind how the exhaust outlet is cast on that 341, too much weight on it can literally snap it off from vibration. Due to how the hood covers up the top of the engine it's tough to get a brace in there to help reinforce a stack  - just pointing that out..some stacks are quite heavy.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
18 hours ago, Sarge said:

original C-series muffler is actually pretty quiet

True enough. 

The one on there sounds ok but I'm not at all fond of it being so close to the carb and fuel line. It's also cooking the paint off the hood. 

It's a bit soft so I wouldn't take the time to flip this one. Replacement time. 

Ron Krause

I used a ih-1 from tractor supply for 30.00 bucks

WHX??

Geez all good input here EB but yer barkin up the wrong tree with me.... loud pipes save lives...... run with an open one and put on a set of ear muffs if yer a sally......huh....what did you say?!!???:ychain:

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3