littleredrider

Onan valve sear replacement

littleredrider

Picked up a pretty clean 520 last Friday. Pretty sure it popped a valve seat. Haven’t torn it down yet, but when I do what i need? Is there a seal/gasket set or just new head gaskets? Anything I should do or look for when I’m in there? 

Shynon

@boomers_influence will hook you up with everything you need, for a lot less than Toro. He took care of me when I needed help

richmondred01

https://www.onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_19&products_id=18

https://www.onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=32

These are the gaskets for the decarb operation.

if the valve seat needs to be replaced that will open up an entire different can of worms. If so get your wallet ready. Onan parts aren’t cheap. 

When I did the valve seats I would tear the entire engine down to the bare block. Very costly. I don’t do them anymore because of the cost of the parts. 

Edited by richmondred01

refracman

My engine guy does at least 3 or 4 a yr. 

The place local to me all you need to do is take the heads/ intake /exhaust and flywheel off. They charged  him $100 for the last one. 

• Like 2

ericj
6 hours ago, refracman said:

My engine guy does at least 3 or 4 a yr. 

The place local to me all you need to do is take the heads/ intake /exhaust and flywheel off. They charged  him $100 for the last one. 

I've been doing about 1 a year for about $ 100.00 also, using a local NAPA store that has a machine shop out back, never had any problems with them after, but haven't worked any real hard either. Thet custom grind a new seat to get correct fit.  I get my parts from either boomer's influence or onan parts.com   

eric j

Edited by ericj