sue white

Wheelhorse c-125 needing new home

sue white

Hello I was wondering if someone might help me please.

I have owned a Wheelhorse c-125 since 1988 and she wasn't new when I bought her.

"Betsie" has been much loved for many years and has done great work for us. Unfortunately neither I nor my husband are mechanical in the slightest so were not able to repair/service her when needed but did have a friend who did his best with her. He has sadly died so when  Betsie again needed bit and pieces doing to her we didn't have anybody to assist us and the local garden machinery outlet (John Deere) were not prepared to help!

She has sat doing nothing for about 3 years now and needs to find a home where someone would  want to restore her. She has a cutting deck but it has more hole in it than Swiss Cheese but maybe salvageable?

The only part of Betsie which is not original as far as I am aware is the seat. We got a replacement off a mobility scooter (very comfy it is too) and I think she has lost 1 of her headlights but would have to check that.She is certainly not in working order atm but before we stopped using her she was going fine except for the state of the deck.

What I don't know is where it would be best to sell her. Maybe Ebay or Gumtree? If there was someone local to me who wanted to restore her I would be interested in having her restored and keeping her as the John Deere 330x lawn tractor we bought instead of Betsie is complete rubbish in comparison. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I am not at all surprised there is a Wheelhorse club as they are such great old machines. My daughter (30 years old) learnt to drive on Betsie. She passed her driving test 1st go and then went on to pass her class 1 1st go to be able to drive artic lorries. She attributes her ability to drive well to Betsie!

Edited by sue white
  • Like 2

rjg854

You can place an ad in the Euro for sale section to see if that will get you any results

• Like 1

rjg854

you'll find it under the Classified section.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Welcome

post your location, it might help you find someone nearby who would get them back running for you. We all love our Horses an think they are great workers as it's evident you do to

ACman

@sue white you might also try posting it in our sister site http://myoldmachine.com/ as it’s more for our European friends (the U.k. In particular) . Good luck :handgestures-thumbupright: . I’m sure there’s someone that can surely help you out.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

sue white

Oh sorry I didn't realise there is a classified section. I will take a few photos of Betsie and post them there. Many thanks for your help everybody. I will certainly have a look at myoldmachine . Part of me really doesn't want to sell my Wheelhorse, hence why I've kept her for 3 years doing nothing but at the same time I honestly don't know anybody who would have the time and desire to get the old girl up and running again. Anybody fancy a trip over to Scotland to fix her for me:)?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ACman

There’s a following of :wh:Wheel Horse tractors all over the world :) . That’s a testament of how good these tractors are !

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:  @sue white.         :thanks: for the interesting story.    Please consider putting Betsie back in working condition.    Hopefully you will find another local  Wheel Horse owner that will be willing to offer help.      If not, there are many experts on this forum that will assist you with advice, photos and video.

Best of luck,

• Like 3

Stormin

Hi Sue. I'm just over the border near Carlisle. Bit far for me to come up to you. The C-125 are great machines. I have one that has been in regular use for a few years. There are some lads up your way who may be able to help. Go on MoM. myoldmachine.com. There's a link at the top of the page. Put your request on there. The Fife Plooman may be able to point you in the right direction.

There is a show near Edinburgh at the end of March. Tractorfest Scotland. I'm taking two of my Wheel Horses. May be worth a day out. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

I'm sure if you get into our Euro section or one of the other forums you'll find plenty of Wheel Horse collectors and those that can work on these machines and know what they are doing. There are quite a few here with plenty of skills in the UK mostly - as well as other sections of Europe. I'm sure one of them would tackle repairing the issues with that tractor and put it back into working service, their passion for these drives them to keep these machines alive for as long as possible. I understand your frustration with the Deere - they are not what they used to be , especially compared to your C-125 WH . That model is very tough and simple - nothing on it is all that hard to repair or replace if you can find/afford the parts and there are some parts folks have collected and saved in Europe, including decks.

Don't be too quick to sell it - there is no reason it can't be fixed and put in service again, these machines are known to perform for 50yrs or more easily.

Sarge

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good luck with her!

If you can - keep her going...Won't find new ones anywhere near as good quality...

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:             here is a link to the Euro. Classified section on here. http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds

There are lots of collectors on your side of the ocean that are looking for more :wh: to add to their herd.

• Like 2

Sarge

There is the reason fully restored, true heavy duty garden tractors are bringing premium prices well above what they originally were sold for new - they not only last but can do the job just as well as any shiny new machine and keep right on running long after the newer equipment is sent to the scrap pile.

You need to find a local that knows these machines and is around 40-60yrs old - just old enough to have grown up around them, still young enough to work on them. Personally, I'd just find someone to properly fix it and run it another 30yrs...

Sarge

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@sue white :WRS:

Very nice story about your Wheel Horse. Sorry there isn't anyone close to you that could help you keep your tractor in good running condition.