WHX??

So got this pair of original sawtooth  :wh: tires that came off my 1257 that are the best shape I've seen from 61 year old rubber. Very few cracks, no major slices or anything.  Maybe a little worn in the center from a PO running 80 psi in them but that's about it. They cleaned up real nice with regular tire care products.

Since this tractor is going to be a dedicated furrow dog  tractor I put tri's on it and going to shelf these for a future trailer queen project. Thought it would make them pop by lettering the :wh: as I have seen on some other show tractors.

Problem is my lettering skills are not what you would call Olympic caliber not to mention I don't think I am using the right applicator or paint. With the smallness of the raised letters the paint has a tendency to run down the sides so I end up removing it with paint thinner and start over. Almost like the products I am trying are much too thin??  Anyone has suggestions on the best way to do it I'm all ears. Thought maybe there was an instructional here on this but if there is it escapes me.

20180221_172422[1].jpg

20180221_172238[1].jpg

20180221_172310[1].jpg

20180221_172324[1].jpg

• Sad 1

WHX??

Another thought is to find a paint pen with a ball point pen type applicator?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX14 try these, then you can do any color your hear desires at the moment...

Screenshot_20180224-121519.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

Should have known to try good old fleabay or the jungle site Jeffrey.....:lol: Most of those pens it appears to a chisel style tip like the one I am using.

Edited by WHX14

WVHillbilly520H

Jim,  used to sell them at AutoZone and Advance, might try there in the custom/tuner sections, Jeff.

WVHillbilly520H

These look more rounded sort of like the Markal brand of paint pens I use at work for marking metal ect.

Screenshot_20180224-123724.png

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

Just thinking out loud here Jim.      Could you cover the area with some type of peelable  liquid masking product (wax or...), then scrape off the letter faces with an xacto knife ?????

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

giddyap

I tried cutting out letters using vinyl stick-on baseboard. This material was too thick and I have found nothing thinner. Just thinking outside the box

• Like 2

953 nut
51 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just thinking out loud here Jim.      Could you cover the area with some type of peelable  liquid masking product (wax or...), then scrape off the letter faces with an xacto knife ?????

:bow-blue:     Or sand it off with a DA and a sheet of 200 +/-     :woohoo:

• Like 2

ACman

DD06B545-6196-4A2E-95CB-99978C87D79E.gif.8755dbced2d76835d155c27f084b0ea3.gif

You got this Jim :lol: !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

608KEB
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@WHX14 try these, then you can do any color your hear desires at the moment...

Screenshot_20180224-121519.png

WHX I'd try the green color!😆

• Haha 2

WHX??

You guys might be on to something here. How bout put spread something like peanut butter over it then carefully wipe the tops of the letters off. Paint, let dry then wash??? I do have another set to practice on....try Ed's wax thing.

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

ACman

Wouldn’t hurt to try... :confusion-shrug:

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, WHX14 said:

How bout put spread something like peanut butter over it then carefully wipe the tops of the letters off. Paint, let dry then wash???

Now I think you have the answer Jim.    Only I wouldn't bother to wash it off......just put em out in the barn and let the mice eat the Jiffy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

wallfish
3 hours ago, ACman said:

DD06B545-6196-4A2E-95CB-99978C87D79E.gif.8755dbced2d76835d155c27f084b0ea3.gif

You got this Jim :lol: !

Ha, can't wait to see Jim at the show with a fro like Ross's and hopefully some clean white letters on the tires of his trailer queen!!!!!! :lol:

• Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Ha, can't wait to see Jim at the show with a fro like Ross's and hopefully some clean white letters on the tires of his trailer queen!!!!!! :lol:

Or a fro like my stepson's...

26071226517141.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JoeM

almost seems like a steel or stiff roller applicator might do the trick?

Shynon

use grease or vasoline then wipe off the lettering and paint. Or paint the wheel white and then clean all the paint off leaving the lettering :ychain:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, WHX14 said:

spread something like peanut butter over it then carefully wipe the tops of the letters off.

Easy there; peanut butter is too valuable to waste washing it off, add some jam and have a snack!       :ychain:

• Haha 2