Artmilaca

2 stage snow blower question

Artmilaca

I picked up a 2 stage blower that I believe was on a 520H. Will it work on a 417A ? 

c-series don

Definitely, I have one on a 417-A and love it!! 

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:          This list will tell you what implements will fit each tractor.

WH Interchange 1955-2000 (1).pdf

• Like 1

Artmilaca

Thanks Don

,I  was thinking it should. Now hopefully I  have all the pieces..

I  will look for the manual.

Artmilaca

Confused as to what Manual to use.....

There are more than one model 79361 manuals, looks like different years.  Is there a way to tell by serial # ?

My serial number is 5901428 but I dont see any refrence or maybe dont understand how to use it.

Artmilaca
19 minutes ago, Artmilaca said:

Confused as to what Manual to use.....

There are more than one model 79361 manuals, looks like different years.  Is there a way to tell by serial # ?

My serial number is 5901428 but I dont see any refrence or maybe dont understand how to use it.

I figured it out... its a 1995

• Like 2

Artmilaca

Be nice if someone did a video of this install. Being somewhat dyslexic the manual is like a rubix cube

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Forest Road

When installing mine I usually have to put a couple blocks wood under the mounting bar at mid point hitch. Then I use a long prybar to push it into place and lock the attatchamatic. 

Check both gear cases for oil. You don’t want to burn them up.

The chain should be relatively tight. If the wear block is worn out get a new one, some guys have retrofitted idler pulleys in place of the tension block. If the teeth on with chain cogs are pointed that means they’re worn out and should be replaced. New chain costs $10-20. Replace it every few years depending on usage. I over oil mine religiously.

Good luck!  

Forest Road

Almost forgot. You will need 300-500lbs ballast hanging off back of tractor to get the most out of her. I’m 275lbs and I’d be stuck without the extra weight. 

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Forest Road said:

Almost forgot. You will need 300-500lbs ballast hanging off back of tractor to get the most out of her. I’m 275lbs and I’d be stuck without the extra weight. 

I have done well with fluid loaded tires 150# cast wheel weights and 120# suitcase weights hanging off the back the cab and my 180#, but the blower or cab hasn't came off since mounting 2.5 years ago since I have an extra 520, Jeff.

IMAG3953.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

roadapples

@Forest Road I assume you have to stand it on the auger and pull the plate off of the back gear box to check it? And what oil? Thanks

Artmilaca
2 hours ago, roadapples said:

@Forest Road I assume you have to stand it on the auger and pull the plate off of the back gear box to check it? And what oil? Thanks

I also need this info... manual  doesn't say anything

Artmilaca
4 hours ago, Forest Road said:

well this might get interesting.... I have nothing for weight right now and expecting a pretty good storm  today so got to go

WVHillbilly520H
40 minutes ago, Artmilaca said:

well this might get interesting.... I have nothing for weight right now and expecting a pretty good storm  today so got to go

The original owner of my deuce had it on a 314/5-8 with only chains and swore he did fine with it on a sloping gravel driveway/parking area, IMHO the hydrostatic should do better than the manual weight wise, Jeff.

Forest Road
3 hours ago, roadapples said:

I use regular gear lube. Whatever’s available. 75 to 90w whatever you can get your hands on. I’ve been know to put a bottle in a  pan next to my wood stove for the night. The front auger case I do w the machine sitting normal. It rarely takes much. The 90 degree gear case I pull the plug and so long as something runs out I’m happy. I’ve never taken the covers off it. 

As as for the weight my tires are loaded approx 100lbs each 55 lb wheel weights and I have a custom ballast box w a few hundred pounds. Weight hanging off rear is far more effective that loaded tires

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forest Road

I have 2 different ballast set ups. Both tractors have 2” receiver hitches. The racks are interchangeable. One on 314h has an original ballast box. I keep 5 gal gas can in there w some cast iron underneath and 4 suitcase weights to the sides. 

The Xi loader combo originally had a factory ballast box that just seemed to be in the way. The hitch and rack offer alot more versatility. 

My property is relatively level and all dirt and gravel. The road is 1/2 mile and requires me to cleanup a bit after my snow plow contractor, or pay for a backhoe to come in. With the drop offs weight in rear has been the difference in self extraction verses a tow from another tractor or truck. At times the snow it setup stiff and the weight gives me the extra traction to punch through

FAFDA98F-E51B-4B90-BE2E-F21A1E38E9F0.jpeg.03a438ba27996704edd8bc631a1e1695.jpeg

2519A55F-D6A7-4A31-837F-77061AEF07C1.jpeg

• Like 5

Artmilaca
On 2/23/2018 at 7:37 PM, c-series don said:

Definitely, I have one on a 417-A and love it!! 

Is the belt length different from the 520 with Onan than 417A  with KT17 ?

I got  the 2 stage blower mounted up in the middle of a blizzard and well after dark. Once I had it mounted up came the pain....The belt is about 5"  or more shy of going over the pully even with blower up.

As far as I  know it was mounted on a 520 with Onan

IMG_20180225_134053178.jpg

Kurt-NEPA

I have my two stage mounted on a 95 520H.  It has a Pix (TSC)  5/8" X 65" belt on it that fits well.  Not sure about your 417A, but its worth checking the belt length.  The tensioner on this beast has a lot of travel, so I would take all the tension off it first.  I know mine is a tight fit.

I'm a fan of ballast weights too. When I first set mine up, I used 70 lbs wheel weights in addition to chains and my 265 lbs.  It was not enough if I had to back up hill with the blower raised. I would just spin.  I added about 150 lbs of ballast weights and does just fine now.  I've even been able to use rubber chains.

My ballast weight.

5a9321fc05854_BallastWeights.jpg.18c1a8ff4fdf0f8c3ad77500fcb7518b.jpg

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
Add Picture
  • Like 3

Forest Road

To get that belt on you need a box wrench on the idler pulley. Think it’s 9/16 or 5/8 put it on the pulleys bolt and pull it back toward tractor. Then the belt should slip right onto smaller pulley on your motor. 

• Like 2

c-series don

116332 is the Wheel Horse belt number, I don't know the length 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

cleat

Belt is L565 or which is 5/8 x 65".

I believe B62 will fit as well.

Cleat

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
18 hours ago, Artmilaca said:

Is the belt length different from the 520 with Onan than 417A  with KT17 ?

I got  the 2 stage blower mounted up in the middle of a blizzard and well after dark. Once I had it mounted up came the pain....The belt is about 5"  or more shy of going over the pully even with blower up.

As far as I  know it was mounted on a 520 with Onan

IMG_20180225_134053178.jpg

The other thing not mentioned above is the belt guard next to the PTO needs to be removed while putting the belt on, when I got mine the belt guards were MIA and I never worried about finding a set, Jeff.

IMAG1702.jpg

• Like 3

c-series don

I got blower used and that was the belt that came with it. I'm not sure what the blower was on prior to me owning it. 

WVHillbilly520H

@c-series don, that's the correct Toro/WH part # and the belt is actually 64.5" , Jeff.

15197751688863539755679280976510.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2