Sign in to follow this  
Suburban 550

Confused About Engine

Suburban 550

Does anybody know if a suburban 550 came with optional electric start? The one I am restoring has a Tecumseh 5.5 H.P H550-1313 which I had totally rebuilt including bored and new piston. I looked at the specifications of this tractor and it states it should have a Tecumseh H55B-1170 5.5 H.P. The motor that is on it looks like it has never been changed and very original because all belt covers, exhaust, and shields fit perfectly.

Rollerman

Might have to have BP step in here on this one, but as far as I know & "beleived" the Suburban 550/551 had a lauson "prerunner to tecumseh" & electric start. :P

1960 was the beginning of Wheel Horse's "numbers code".

The first number being horsepower, the 2nd type of starting...0=pull start/5= electric start, the 3rd number was the year of manufacture in the 60's.

There are some wildcards in the numbers system though...ie the 701,633,601, etc,etc. :D

So a 550 would be a 5HP electric start tractor built in 1960.

T-Mo

Stephen,

Thanks for the little lesson. I knew what the first and third numbers meant, but wasn't sure on the second number. Thanks.

BTW, this is post 1000! :D

Suburban 550

Thanks Stephen. You explained that pretty well. I didn't know what the middle number stood for. Who knows what they did years ago?

Rollerman

Well the numbers lie sometimes...I mean you have the 701 that has electric start?

A 603 & 633, plus the 1045 & 1046. :D

CasualObserver

Let's not forget those 1965 1054s! :D

combatmp29r

Yep this is why I have a copy of the Id sheet in the truck :D

TT

Does anybody know if a suburban 550 came with optional electric start? The one I am restoring has a Tecumseh 5.5 H.P H550-1313 which I had totally rebuilt including bored and new piston. I looked at the specifications of this tractor and it states it should have a Tecumseh H55B-1170 5.5 H.P. The motor that is on it looks like it has never been changed and very original because all belt covers, exhaust, and shields fit perfectly.

2 simple questions.....

Can you get photos on here?

Where is the battery located?

The 550 should have the H55B-1170. I'm guessing your number is posted correctly, but it bares resemblance to H55D-2113, which is a 5.5 Lauson for a 1961 551. That doesn't mean that a red Lauson engine with that number (from who-knows-what) wasn't installed on your tractor by a previous owner.

If the battery is mounted in the toolbox under the seat and the solenoid is mounted to the front of the toolbox, it's a 550. If the battery sits parallel with the framerails and is mounted directly in front of the engine and the solenoid is under the hood, that makes it a 551 (among many other differences)

I don't have any 550 pictures, but here's a 551:

001.jpg002.jpg

combatmp29r

OK so Terry you're saying on the picture you posted the battery would sit in front of the motor between the pedals?

TT

Yes........

The hoodstand on a 550 was stamped steel and solid. The 551's had a strap steel hoodstand that was made so the battery could fit in / under it.

Here's a better view: (sorry, no pics with the battery installed :D )

551battery.jpg

combatmp29r

Ok thanks Terry that pic made it clearer :D

Suburban 550

Sorry, I can't post pictures at this time. According to the pictures you posted my tractor is a 550. The battery was mounted in the tool box and the cellenoid is bolted to the front of the box. There aren't any room to mount the battery under the hood because of the solid iron that the hood mounts to. Still confused about the engine though. Don't know if the H550-1313 engine is correct or not. Thanks for all your help I am really learning alot from this forum about the older tractors.

Rollerman

I wish I could help you more. :D

Terry & BP seem to be the ones for the details though.

If you say the specs call for a Tecumseh H55B-11770 5.5HP I'd say the original wore out & was replaced somewhere along it's 48 years.

Your current H550-1313 5.5HP if not original (not saying it is or isn't) would allow the belt covers,exhaust,etc,ets to bolt on since they would both have the same mounting lugs an look the same from the outside.

If it were a Kohler powered tractor I'd be of more help....I'm still learning on the Lauson/Tecumsehs.

T-Mo

Now what's the odds a 48 year old Tecumseh wearing out? :D

I'm with Stephen here, can't be of much help in this situation. Looks like Terry (the other) and BP are knowledgeable enough to lend a hand and advice. :P