lynnmor

OOps, 520H did it again

lynnmor

We had a very quick warming of the weather yesterday, and the tractor again peed out a lot of transmission oil from the fill tube.  I noticed that the tractor hand pushed with absolutely no resistance from the transmission.  I wonder if the filter empty's into the case from expanding air.  Maybe the NAPA filter has a faulty drain back valve.  Any ideas besides changing the filter and putting a diaper on this tractor?

Ed Kennell

No idea Lynn.     But if you put a "DEPENDS" on that Eaton,   I'll be up to get a picture.    :ROTF:

• Haha 2

cleat

If it has not ran in some time then hand pushing with no resistance is normal (oil drains out of hydraulic motor).

As for peeing up and out the dipstick, I have no idea. None of mine do this, actually I can pull the dipstick at any time with no oil spillage then get an accurate oil level reading very shortly after.

You are not overfilled are you ?

Cleat

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, cleat said:

You are not overfilled are you ?

Cleat

The tractor did sit for weeks.  The only time it has the incontinence problem is when there is a major temperature swing. The oil apparently pushes out of the tube past the dipstick.  The funny thing is that the oil appears to be at the correct level and not up the tube as one would expect.  I did push it out of the way before checking and that might have pulled some oil back down.  I guess it acts like a burp, kind of like when trying to fill it down the small tube.

Along with the Depends, it may need Alka-Seltzer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

wildman

I had this happen on a 417 found that the cooling fan fins disappeared 

eddiebunyan

Hey wildman,just a thought.I bought a 520h that the fins where missing on the fan.When I was replacing it I spun the fan after i secured it and the fins were hitting.I realized that the fan could go on either way but there was a 1/4 inch differance(towards the transaxle) as opposed to turning it around and it had clearance.The guy who put the replacement fan on didn't check that and the first time he used it ,it chewed all the blades off!

lynnmor

Just to be clear, the tractor that pushed out the oil was sitting in a barn for weeks with no oil loss.  Then after weather changes, the oil pushed out, the engine was never started.

Since you are talking about the fan, I have seen a fan slip easily behind the bolt.  While the bolt felt tight, the thread locking compound gave a false sense of tightness.  And yes, the hydro can get very hot with a slipping fan.

Skipper

As I see it / hear it, it must be an airfilled cavity that reacts to temperature, in a place that allows the expanding air to push out the oil. My guess would also be the filter to start with. Also check that all hydraulic functions is cycled thru, so no air pockets can be present there. If a new filter do not cure it, I would look into the valves mentioned earlier. Or build a nice worm garage for it ;-)

• Like 1

Macgyver

I have not got a good answer for you but if you are using the correct NAPA filter it is a hydraulic filter only and does not have a drain back valve. I can check the number of that filter tomorrow.

cleat

Filter is Toro Wheel Horse 108335 or Napa 1410.

Cleat

Ike

I have this exact same issue on my 97 520-h.  Two months ago I found a puddle of oil under my tractor and I thought it was related to me pushing it.  Used the tractor this winter for mainly goofing off and never any more leaks.  This tractor is stored in an unheated garage.  

Came me out today during an unusually warm day and found a puddle of oil again. The oil worked its way up the fill tube and was dripping profusely out of the end of the level indicator rod loop where you put your finger to pull the thing out of the transmission. 

I drained the oil and will change the filter. I am wondering if there was moisture in the crankcase that contributed to this.  It is a strange effect that looks like a large amount oil is just being siphoned out of the transmission.  

lynnmor

I had hoped that clearing the vent and letting it breathe would stop the peeing, but I too found a puddle on this warm day.  I now suspect that the oil level is a bit too high, although it is at the full mark, and it is forced up the tube by the expanding air when the temperature changes quickly.  I always try to keep oil in engines and transmissions as full as allowed, but that might be a mistake on these transmissions.  Perhaps some oil returns from the pump and raises the level over time as well.

AMC RULES

You don't have any other brand tractors sharing the same storage space do you?

Thinking your :wh: might just be marking it's territory...saying hit the bricks, no scabs allowed here! :clap:

Ike

Changed out oil in transmission today and replaced the hydro oil filter with OEM filter.  Filled it to just below the low level line and laid fresh cardboard on garage floor.  Fingers crossed. The old oil looked nasty.

Edited by Ike