SPINJIM

Kohler K engine versus Magnum ?

SPINJIM

I have a C-120 with the K engine, and a 312 with the Magnum.   Both are in very good condition, but I don't have space or need for both.   The Magnum doesn't have the issue of having to clean and adjust points, but I've heard some people like the K better than the Magnum.  The Magnum always seems to start more reliably, but I like the looks of the C-120 better.     Anyone have opinions on the two engines???

Jim

WHX??

Call me nuts Jim but as much as the magnums can be unstoppable  beasts I prefer the pre -'78 older K's. Just like the look of that belt guard and S/G hanging out there not to mention engines with old skool points too.    I also say this probably just because I have more experience with them! :) 

Sounds like you are thinking of selling one? We might need a pic or 3 if that's the case to help with that decision! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

pfrederi

I would take the C-120 over the 312 but not because of the engine. I like the larger wheels and tires on the C series.  As far the engine itself I would take the magnum.  No timing issues no points to mess with.  One thing.  Some magnums came with the fixed jet walbro carbs.  i do not like them as much as the adjustable jet carbs. 

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Shynon

K series all day

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Another  vote for the mighty K.

I've only had K's, 3 of them. Very impressed with the torque and love the sound.

I can see the "point" about the points and the maintenance but it doesn't bother me.

Also, I like the older model tractor's style. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, SPINJIM said:

The Magnum doesn't have the issue of having to clean and adjust points,

Honestly, once you have properly adjusted a set of points they will be good for several years. I have a few with Magnums and two with the much maligned trigger solid state ignitions. They are just as dependable as the several older ones that have breaker points. I may have to change out a set of points every three or four years, not a big deal

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I'm a K and C man all the way Jim.     I like to have the ability to adjust points and carbs.     Dislikes of the 312s (and I have two)   those puny 6"wheels and the under seat fuel tanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

properly adjusted a set of points they will be good for several years decades

:lol:

• Excellent 2

WHX??
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

ability to adjust points and carbs.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JoeM

Once I went golfing with a local pro. I ask him about the brand of club he preferred. His advice; "when you look down you have to like what you see"!  :think:  All will mostly get the job done. What we think doesn't mater, it is how comfortable you are in what you are using. I think you already know the answer.

If your looking for a survey between K and M, Its M for me. The lighter flywheel and other updates give it an edge in power recovery. :twocents-02cents:

I repowered a C120 with a M12 and it is amazing.

5a8dead31def3_C1208speed2.jpg.072b0b60251ca877929e88a41977ae6b.jpg5a8dead46526f_C1208speed4.jpg.f4091f979bb5027b040d422f683d5b85.jpg

• Like 4

SPINJIM

Maybe I'm just not very good at adjusting points and timing.   I'll try some more.   Here are pictures.  I put a lot of time and effort both WHs, so I hate to let either one go.

I also have a 1257 partly restored.   If I can get that running, maybe that's the one that will go.  Just not enough space and time for all of them.  It's taking too much time away from my fishing.   Thanks everyone for your input.

Jim

C-120 and 312 002.jpg

C-120 and 312 007.jpg

C-120 and 312 005.jpg

• Like 4

SPINJIM
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I would take the C-120 over the 312 but not because of the engine. I like the larger wheels and tires on the C series.

41 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Dislikes of the 312s (and I have two)   those puny 6"wheels and the under seat fuel tanks.

Yeh.  I agree about the wheels.  I already changed out the rears from 22.5 to 23".  And I'm planning to change the fronts also as soon as the weather is warm enough to mount new tires on some 8" rims.

• Like 2

clueless
40 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

Once I went golfing with a local pro. I ask him about the brand of club he preferred. His advice; "when you look down you have to like what you see"!  :think:  All will mostly get the job done. What we think doesn't mater, it is how comfortable you are in what you are using. I think you already know the answer.

If your looking for a survey between K and M, Its M for me. The lighter flywheel and other updates give it an edge in power recovery. :twocents-02cents:

I repowered a C120 with a M12 and it is amazing.

5a8dead31def3_C1208speed2.jpg.072b0b60251ca877929e88a41977ae6b.jpg5a8dead46526f_C1208speed4.jpg.f4091f979bb5027b040d422f683d5b85.jpg

Best of both. Magnum, plug and play:handgestures-thumbupright:.

• Like 3

roadapples

I have 3 C160's, one with a replacement magnum. Like'em all. I prefer the old style tractor. Never was crazy about the "bandit" hood's. Hey, that might catch on:banana-linedance:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Dibs on the 1257 Jimbo....no wait hey I already have a 1257...sure it's not a 1277?!?! ...thats on my bucket list!  Joking aside hey .... who you calling a bandit Jay!!?!?!?!? You was a thousand miles closer Apples yer FEL would be in my barn! :ph34r: :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

Dibs on the 1257 Jimbo....no wait hey I already have a 1257...sure it's not a 1277?!?! ...thats on my bucket list!  Joking aside hey .... who you calling a bandit Jay!!?!?!?!? You was a thousand miles closer Apples yer FEL would be in my barn! :ph34r: :ychain:

Hmmm.... Note to self: Invite Jim to Maine to prove I'm a nice guy.....  but... don't unlock shed.... yeah yeah... sounds good.

• Haha 4

squonk
9 hours ago, WHX14 said:

No wonder your points last for decades. You have too many to run! :)

• Haha 3

Sarge
14 hours ago, WHX14 said:

1277 is a hydro, btw.

I still prefer the K's , just wish they would have used a better oiling system but for the most part it's not a problem. Points don't bother me, but expensive trigger ignitions and the issues of finicky parts does....the M series is fine though, just prefer the K.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oldlineman

I have a 1979 c-101 bought new by me that has plowed snow and mowed grass most of its life. Has had one set of points in all those years, no trouble starting and running no idea hours, but has thousands i'm sure. Also have a 1989 414-8 Mag 14, 1200 hours, no problems, bullet proof. Turns a 48" deck and mowes 1.25 A and never has had a problem. I vote to keep them both, you will never regret that decision!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

richmondred01

I’ve been Rebuilding Kohlers for 40 plus years. 

Both are great. The downside to the magnum is expensive trigger ignitions. 

Ive got several nos ones on the shelf that I bought 20 years ago. I wouldn’t want to buy them now. 

I rather deal with points. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
5 hours ago, Sarge said:

1277 is a hydro, btw.

Yup ....  that's why its' on the list along with a 1077, 1267, 877, 657, L-157 & just to show I'm not prejudiced about verts a RR-67

• Like 1