AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup: Thing is looking sooo...sweet.    :icecream:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris T

Looks great! Hope to get my 657 to look that good!! :wh:

• Like 2

953 nut

:woohoo:               Looking good, need to ask @BOB ELLISON if he can hook you up with a seat back.             :text-coolphotos:

5a8ccd3f0bee2_1bobsupolstery.jpg.bd7e47de04779ba5f5059c2a4f7a7e75.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Sparky

Looks great! That sanding and clear coat really changed that tractor!

• Like 2

Chris G

Good job! The tractor looks great!

• Like 2

classiccat

She's a beauty!   Those rims really Pop!

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

The 857 turned out great , when you have time I have 4 units down here that could use your help

• Haha 5

stevebo

Looks great. What did you use for product (clear coat)?

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

• Thanks 1

dells68
57 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:woohoo:               Looking good, need to ask @BOB ELLISON if he can hook you up with a seat back.             :text-coolphotos:

I was wondering if anyone would notice it is missing.  I have the back, but the back panel was torn away almost all the way around.  A local upholstery guy is going to use the original horse embossed part and stitch me up a new back.  My bottom is in great shape with only 2 small cigarette burns and a small tear at the seam on a front corner.  I had this seat from another tractor and a set of springs, so I decided to put them to use!

dells68
4 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Looks great. What did you use for product (clear coat)?

I sanded it with 220, 400, and 600 and clearcoated with gloss Rustoleum clear.  It was cool the day I did the seat pan, so I got a few flow indicators;).

• Like 2

953 nut
11 minutes ago, dells68 said:

My bottom is in great shape with only 2 small cigarette burns

Image result for Too much information                         :ROTF:

• Haha 7

dells68

Oops!  I wasn't supposed to mention that in public:ROTF:.

• Haha 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

My bottom is in sad shape but I think it is due to age. My wrinkles have wrinkles.

• Haha 6

953 nut
4 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

My bottom is in sad shape but I think it is due to age. My wrinkles have wrinkles.

image.jpeg.0d07a43614f1e4b794e27494687e26e7.jpeg

• Haha 6

Sarge

That's a picture I didn't need floating around in my skull...wow.

Very nice, love how deep the red came back - nice job.

Bob and I have been discussing the nicer C series seats...not an easy job.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I am just filling in for @squonk clown duties. I think he is hibernating in New York some where. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

BOB ELLISON
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Richard I wish I had a pattern for that seat but after seeing a picture that Sarge showed me it would be a nightmare trying to do the seat and back. Maybe easier making the back.

If I can find a old seat I would try someday but not now. I'm still trying to master the Lawnranger seat.

Sorry @dells68 for getting off track.

But you did a remarkable job on that one.

• Thanks 2

Ed Kennell

Beautiful patina save.   The best ever.  Did you clear coat the entire assembled tractor including the decals?

• Thanks 1

dells68

Hey Ed.  I disassembled the tractor to the point of removing engine tin, seat pan, belt guard, hood, etc...  I didn't separate the engine or trans from the frame.  As for decals, yes I did clear over them as well.  Only the one on the right hood side was lifting any - slight corner fold, so I glued it back down.  There are some pits/chips under the old repaint on the hood, but I did decide to leave them.  The repaint was on the hood, some engine tin, steering tower, and belt guard.  It's off just a little, but had weathered and gotten quite a bit of patina itself.  I felt that leaving it alone and clearing would give a better result than stripping and repainting.  I'm very pleased with the outcome and am glad I left the red alone - original and repaint alike.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Homerun. Out of the park.

Glenn

• Thanks 1

squonk
11 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I am just filling in for @squonk clown duties. I think he is hibernating in New York some where. 

Far be it from me to sear a horrible image in a young man’s mind! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ohiofarmer

That is so cool. I will bet that the pictures do not show it justice. If you catch a tractor at the right time in the paint natural aging process, the black specks of primer showing through the red give it a very pleasing dark cherry color, like what I see on your Horse. Great job.

I am a experimenter, so I first tried clear on a true basket case of a seat pan.. you could not see a speck of red paint anywhere, so I just thought I would try something. First i sanded it with plenty of soap and 400 wet. Some of the worst areas, I even used a poly grit sander from Harbor freight.I treated the metal with oxalic rust converter, but washed it off to smooth metal after it sat for 15 minutes and repeated that a few times I used Rustoleum Matte Clear and noticed that it was easy to build up because it dries fast and is resistant to runs. Sanded it with 600 to 1500 to get it very smooth. Then hit it with gloss and sand with 2000 grit to take out any orange peel and buff with Meguiars. Even that old piece of crap seat pan just popped.

I tried to post pictures, but just noticed my Supporter status expired. The shame of it all.....

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
15 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The 857 turned out great , when you have time I have 4 units down here that could use your help

I was thinking the same thing except to Maine. Dell, if you get bored and need a place to go for vacation, I have a nice wooded lot available with plenty of tents and gear for you to stay in while you paint my two tractors.

I have more to add but I can see that the joke pool already hit - bottom...

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3