stubs

kt17 II overhaul

stubs

where is the best place to get a full gasket bearing and ring kit? seems like theres not alot of places to get parts from

pfrederi

bakt4kids on Ebay has standard sets...Not Kohler but Stens/rotary.  I have gotten kits from him for other engines.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:  stubs.      Biglerville...wow, you can ride a tractor to the big show.

953 nut

:WRS:

3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

bakt4kids on Ebay has standard sets...Not Kohler but Stens/rotary.  I have gotten kits from him for other engines.

:text-yeahthat:             This link will take you there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-Kt17-engine-rebuild-kit-Gasket-set-std-rings-standard-rods/141325666675?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l264

When you do the rebuild please share as much information and detailed pictures as you can. There are not many Kohler twin builds documented on here. Brian Miller's site has quite a bit of good information on them and offers some Kohler and after market parts for them.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1miller.htm

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

stubs

yea i actually live less than a mile from the big show. thanks ill take a look at the guy on eBay. this is my first time rebuilding a twin. my original engine was a series 1, and last summer it started getting the death rattles so i figured this winter i would build a series 2 for it. so i bought a junk engine that broke a rod and im just in the middle of tearing it down now. so far it looks good just getting the crank tuned down .10 under and i should be good to go. the main things that im buying other than a kit is a new gov, oil pump gear, oil pump, and dicky bird to run the points. i wish i had a way of posting pics of my build but i don't. sorry fellas

953 nut
8 hours ago, stubs said:

wish i had a way of posting pics of my build but i don't. sorry fellas

Perhaps this will help.

stubs

that would work if i had an iPhone. i got a cheap $20 walmart flip phone though

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

How about a digital camera with a USB cord or an SD card?

• Like 2

classiccat
23 minutes ago, stubs said:

that would work if i had an iPhone. i got a cheap $20 walmart flip phone though

Welcome stubs, I'm new here myself!

Man... I'd be in a world of hurt if I didn't take pics / vids of an engine that I've never torn into before.  (ahhh...who am I kidding, I'm in a world of hurt even with pics & vids :ROTF:)

if it takes pictures and has a way to link to a PC (bluetooth, data cable, etc.), you can post them to free photo hosting site.  I used photobucket for years but they turned Martin Shkreli on us...  I've been using imgur for a few months and I'm very happy with it.

Edited by classiccat
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Kinda like this...red and black it might fit in with the :wh:...:think:, Good luck with your engine/project, Jeff.

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0633.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

stubs

i think that would take a little more work than id like to do stuffing a sbc in. haha nice build though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stubs

got another question here. is it possible to put m18 pistons and rods in a kt17? 

19richie66

KT 17 series 1 was splash lube and series 2 and M18 are pressure lubed. I am not sure if the rods would be drilled the same. If you look in the Kohler service manual, I believe the 17 and 18 were both the same bore and stroke. 3.12" bore and 2.75" stroke. 

KT17 service manual

http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2043_a.pdf

owners manual

http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2107_c_all.pdf

Magnum 18 manual

http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2204_b.pdf

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

953 nut

Here is some information from Brian Miller's site that should help.

New connecting rods for Kohler KT-series and Magnum engine models MV16, KT17, KT17 Series II, M18, MV18 with a wrist pin hole diameter of .625" and STD crank journal diameter of 1.3733"/1.3738". NOTE: Crank journal must be reground .010" undersize to match this rod. And new rods for model KT19 is no longer available. L Also, the KT17 cylinders are different than the M18 cylinders because the OEM KT17 rods are narrower than the M18 rods. To make the KT17 cylinders work with M18 rods, grind away (notch out) the lower portion of the cylinders until the rods clear. Or acquire a couple of M18 cylinders that's in good condition. (The OEM [US] manufacturers are phasing out many parts for flathead engines due to EPA smog emissions. But some parts may still be available in aftermarket.) The alternative to using undersize rods - If STD size or .010" undersize rods are in good condition, the matching crank journals can be reground so they're perfectly round again then if the original rod(s) isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized to fit to odd-size undersize journal(s) with .0025" oil clearance. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. IMPORTANT: To prevent scoring of the rods when the engine is ran for the first time, apply clean motor oil, gear oil or lubricating grease on crank journal before installing rod. This will better protect the parts until crankcase oil reaches them. IMPORTANT: Click here for proper break-in (wear-in) oils and procedure for rebuilt engines.
  • STD size.
    • High quality aftermarket. $70.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • OEM Kohler part # 52 067 67-S. $98.90 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .010" undersize (w/hole drilled in beam section).
    • High quality aftermarket. $90.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • OEM Kohler part # 52 067 68-S. $123.88 each, plus shipping & handling.

twin-rod.gifNew connecting rod for Kohler KT-series and Magnum engine models KT19 series II, M20 and MV20 with a wrist pin hole diameter of .750" and STD crank journal diameter of 1.4993"/1.4998". NOTE: Crank journal must be reground .010" undersize to match this rod. The alternative to using undersize rods - If STD size or .010" undersize rods are in good condition, the matching crank journals can be reground so they're perfectly round again then if the original rod(s) isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized to fit to odd-size undersize journal(s) with .0025" oil clearance. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. IMPORTANT: To prevent scoring of the rods when the engine is started for the first time, apply clean motor oil, gear oil or lubricating grease on crank journal before installing rod. This will better protect the parts until crankcase oil reaches them. IMPORTANT: Click here for proper break-in (wear-in) oils and procedure for rebuilt engines.

• STD size no longer available from any source. Not available in aftermarket. L (The OEM [US] manufacturers are phasing out many parts for flathead engines due to EPA smog emissions. But some parts may still be available in aftermarket.)
  • .010" undersize (w/hole drilled in beam section). OEM Kohler part # 52 067 72-S. $93.10 each, plus shipping & handling.
k482k532.jpgConnecting rods for Kohler engine models K482, K532, K582 and K660/K662 are no longer available from Kohler. Used and New Old Stock rods can be purchased off of eBay when available. And with the crankshaft rod journals reground to .010", .020" or .030" undersize, the K482, K532 or K582 connecting rods can be bored for installation of bearing inserts. Bearing inserts that's made for certain British MG Midget cars will fit the K482, K532 and K582 rods perfectly when the rods are bored to accept these (STD size, .010", .020" or .030" undersize) bearing inserts. The alternative to using undersize rods - if a STD size or .010" undersize rod is in good condition, the matching crank journal can be reground until it's perfectly round again, then if the original rod isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized (in a connecting rod honing machine) to fit or match the odd-size undersize journal with .0025" oil clearance. Bearing inserts cannot be used in this procedure. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. Contact Elson Nichols of Loop 70 Automotive Machine Shop, 14 Business Loop 70 East, Columbia, Missouri 65203 USA. Phone: 1-573-449-0893. Email: vjnen@centurytel.net. He can bore the K482, K532 or K582 rods and install bearing inserts for a reasonable price.
  • The K482 STD size connecting rod is OEM Kohler part number A-277130-S.
  • The K482 .010" undersize connecting rod is OEM Kohler part number A-277130-S-10.
  • The K532 and K582 STD size connecting rod in an engine with [K301 or K321 K-series] cast pistons (wide wrist pin hole) is OEM Kohler part number 48 067 12-S.
  • The K532 and K582 .010" undersize connecting rod in an engine with [K301 or K321 K-series] cast pistons (wide wrist pin hole) is OEM Kohler part number 48 067 13-S.
  • The K532 and 582 STD size connecting rod in an engine with [M12, M14 or M16 Magnum] Mahle pistons (narrow wrist pin hole) is 48 067 16-S.
  • The K532 and 582 .010" undersize connecting rod in an engine with [M12, M14 or M16 Magnum] Mahle pistons (narrow wrist pin hole) is 48 067 17-S.
  • The K660/K662 connecting rod is OEM Kohler part numbers: A-271741-S (aluminum rod); A-270890 (steel rod). Bearing inserts for these rods are no longer available from Kohler.
  • Excellent 1

stubs

Im building a series 2. Iv checked the numbers between the 17 and 18 and I thought they were different. Not sure if I remember correctly now or not? Supposably the crank journals are the same, but i can't find a spec of the width. So im not sure if they would work or not. The reason im asking is kt rods and pistons are very expensive and the m18 rods are reasonable. Im learning a lot as I go on this build. I had a series 1 engine that is in great working order except for a rod starting to get loose. So I bought a junk Series 2 and I'm taking my series 1 and turning it into a series 2. 

Edited by stubs
  • Like 1

stubs
32 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Here is some information from Brian Miller's site that should help.

New connecting rods for Kohler KT-series and Magnum engine models MV16, KT17, KT17 Series II, M18, MV18 with a wrist pin hole diameter of .625" and STD crank journal diameter of 1.3733"/1.3738". NOTE: Crank journal must be reground .010" undersize to match this rod. And new rods for model KT19 is no longer available. L Also, the KT17 cylinders are different than the M18 cylinders because the OEM KT17 rods are narrower than the M18 rods. To make the KT17 cylinders work with M18 rods, grind away (notch out) the lower portion of the cylinders until the rods clear. Or acquire a couple of M18 cylinders that's in good condition. (The OEM [US] manufacturers are phasing out many parts for flathead engines due to EPA smog emissions. But some parts may still be available in aftermarket.) The alternative to using undersize rods - If STD size or .010" undersize rods are in good condition, the matching crank journals can be reground so they're perfectly round again then if the original rod(s) isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized to fit to odd-size undersize journal(s) with .0025" oil clearance. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. IMPORTANT: To prevent scoring of the rods when the engine is ran for the first time, apply clean motor oil, gear oil or lubricating grease on crank journal before installing rod. This will better protect the parts until crankcase oil reaches them. IMPORTANT: Click here for proper break-in (wear-in) oils and procedure for rebuilt engines.
  • STD size.
    • High quality aftermarket. $70.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • OEM Kohler part # 52 067 67-S. $98.90 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .010" undersize (w/hole drilled in beam section).
    • High quality aftermarket. $90.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
    • OEM Kohler part # 52 067 68-S. $123.88 each, plus shipping & handling.

twin-rod.gifNew connecting rod for Kohler KT-series and Magnum engine models KT19 series II, M20 and MV20 with a wrist pin hole diameter of .750" and STD crank journal diameter of 1.4993"/1.4998". NOTE: Crank journal must be reground .010" undersize to match this rod. The alternative to using undersize rods - If STD size or .010" undersize rods are in good condition, the matching crank journals can be reground so they're perfectly round again then if the original rod(s) isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized to fit to odd-size undersize journal(s) with .0025" oil clearance. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. IMPORTANT: To prevent scoring of the rods when the engine is started for the first time, apply clean motor oil, gear oil or lubricating grease on crank journal before installing rod. This will better protect the parts until crankcase oil reaches them. IMPORTANT: Click here for proper break-in (wear-in) oils and procedure for rebuilt engines.

• STD size no longer available from any source. Not available in aftermarket. L (The OEM [US] manufacturers are phasing out many parts for flathead engines due to EPA smog emissions. But some parts may still be available in aftermarket.)
  • .010" undersize (w/hole drilled in beam section). OEM Kohler part # 52 067 72-S. $93.10 each, plus shipping & handling.
k482k532.jpgConnecting rods for Kohler engine models K482, K532, K582 and K660/K662 are no longer available from Kohler. Used and New Old Stock rods can be purchased off of eBay when available. And with the crankshaft rod journals reground to .010", .020" or .030" undersize, the K482, K532 or K582 connecting rods can be bored for installation of bearing inserts. Bearing inserts that's made for certain British MG Midget cars will fit the K482, K532 and K582 rods perfectly when the rods are bored to accept these (STD size, .010", .020" or .030" undersize) bearing inserts. The alternative to using undersize rods - if a STD size or .010" undersize rod is in good condition, the matching crank journal can be reground until it's perfectly round again, then if the original rod isn't badly scored or burnt, it can be resized (in a connecting rod honing machine) to fit or match the odd-size undersize journal with .0025" oil clearance. Bearing inserts cannot be used in this procedure. NOTE - The maximum a connecting rod can be resized to is .005" undersize. If it's resized more than .005", being the big hole in the rod will be made excessively oblong or egg-shaped, which will allow it to less bearing surface contact around the crank journal after being resized, due to the centrifugal force at 3,600 RPM, the big end of the rod could become elongated (metal stretch) and might eventually knock and possibly break. Contact Elson Nichols of Loop 70 Automotive Machine Shop, 14 Business Loop 70 East, Columbia, Missouri 65203 USA. Phone: 1-573-449-0893. Email: vjnen@centurytel.net. He can bore the K482, K532 or K582 rods and install bearing inserts for a reasonable price.
  • The K482 STD size connecting rod is OEM Kohler part number A-277130-S.
  • The K482 .010" undersize connecting rod is OEM Kohler part number A-277130-S-10.
  • The K532 and K582 STD size connecting rod in an engine with [K301 or K321 K-series] cast pistons (wide wrist pin hole) is OEM Kohler part number 48 067 12-S.
  • The K532 and K582 .010" undersize connecting rod in an engine with [K301 or K321 K-series] cast pistons (wide wrist pin hole) is OEM Kohler part number 48 067 13-S.
  • The K532 and 582 STD size connecting rod in an engine with [M12, M14 or M16 Magnum] Mahle pistons (narrow wrist pin hole) is 48 067 16-S.
  • The K532 and 582 .010" undersize connecting rod in an engine with [M12, M14 or M16 Magnum] Mahle pistons (narrow wrist pin hole) is 48 067 17-S.
  • The K660/K662 connecting rod is OEM Kohler part numbers: A-271741-S (aluminum rod); A-270890 (steel rod). Bearing inserts for these rods are no longer available from Kohler.

Thanks for the good info. So I have my rods figured out now. I was just at this site http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/engine.htm Now my question is pistons. Both the 17 and 18 have a 3.125 bore 

• Thanks 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, stubs said:

my question is pistons. Both the 17 and 18 have a 3.125 bore 

Same site, looks like it is a go.

Ring Sets for Kohler flathead twin cylinder engine models MV16, KT17, KT17 Series II, KT19, KT19 Series II, M18, MV18, M20 and MV20. The KT17, KT17 Series II, MV16, M18 and MV18 pistons have the same dimensions, same wrist pin hole size and same compression height, and accept the same rings. The only difference is the KT17 and KT17 Series II pistons are cast aluminum, and the MV16, M18 and MV18 pistons are made by Mahle. And the KT19, KT19 Series II, M20 and MV20 pistons have the same dimensions, same wrist pin hole size and same compression height, and accept the same rings. The only difference is the KT19 and KT19 Series II pistons are cast aluminum, and the M20 and MV20 pistons are made by Mahle. Although the Mahle rings will fit the KT-series cast pistons, the Mahle pistons are not available for these engines. Ring sets for KT-series cast pistons no longer available. L They are replaced with Mahle piston and rings. Priced per cylinder. Order two sets for one engine. IMPORTANT: Click here for proper break-in (wear-in) oils and procedure for rebuilt engines.
  • STD size (3.125" cylinder bore size.)
    • High quality aftermarket. $30.00 each set (for one piston), plus shipping & handling.
    • OEM Kohler part # 52 108 09-S. $76.90 each set (for one piston), plus shipping & handling.
  • .010" oversize (3.135" cylinder bore size.)
    • High quality aftermarket. $30.00 each set (for one piston), plus shipping & handling.
    • OEM Kohler part # 52 108 10-S. $88.35 each set (for one piston), plus shipping & handling.
  • .020" oversize (3.145" cylinder bore size.) OEM Kohler part # 52 108 11-S. $85.60 each set (for one piston), plus shipping & handling. (Not available in aftermarket.)
  • .030" oversize (3.155" cylinder bore size.) OEM Kohler part # 52 108 12-S. $98.50 each set (for one piston), plus shipping & handling. (Not available in aftermarket.)

mahle.gifPistons, ring set, wrist pin and retaining clips for Kohler opposed (flathead) twin cylinder engine models listed below with a STD size cylinder bore of 3.125" (3-1/8"). The KT17, KT17 Series II, MV16, M18 and MV18 pistons have the same dimensions, same wrist pin hole size and same compression height, and accept the same rings. The only difference is the KT17 and KT17 Series II pistons are cast aluminum, and the MV16, M18 and MV18 pistons are made by Mahle. And the KT19, KT19 Series II, M20 and MV20 pistons have the same dimensions, same wrist pin hole size and same compression height, and accept the same rings. The only difference is the KT19 and KT19 Series II pistons are cast aluminum, and the M20 and MV20 pistons are made by Mahle. Although the Mahle rings will fit the KT-series cast pistons, the Mahle pistons are not available for these engines. NOTE: The recessed hole or arrow on top of the piston faces the flywheel end of the engine. Pistons for model KT21 (snowmobile engine) are no longer available.

Cast Pistons, Pins, Clips and Ring Sets for models KT17, KT17 Series II, MV16, M18, MV18. Wrist pin diameter: .6247"/.6249". Compression height: 1.125". Priced per cylinder. Order two sets for one engine. To maintain engine balance and reduce vibration, two sets of matching oversize pistons and rings are required. The KT-series cast piston thrust face to cylinder bore oil clearance is .007"-.010". Not available in aftermarket. L

• STD size (3.125" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 01-S. $256.90 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .003" oversize (3.128" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 02-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
  • .010" oversize (3.135" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 03-S. $257.15 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .020" oversize (3.145" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 04-S. $249.30 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .030" oversize (3.155" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 05-S. $249.55 each, plus shipping & handling.

Mahle Pistons, Pins, Clips and Ring Sets for models KT17, KT17 series 2, MV16, M18, MV18. Wrist pin diameter: .6247"/.6249". Compression height: 1.125". Priced per cylinder. Order two sets for one engine. To maintain engine balance and reduce vibration, two sets of matching oversize pistons and rings are required. The Mahle forged piston thrust face to cylinder bore clearance is .0045"/.0062". Not available in aftermarket. L

• STD size (3.125" cylinder bore size.)
    • High quality aftermarket. $60.00 each set (for one piston), plus shipping & handling.
    • OEM Kohler part # 52 874 11-S. $170.80 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .003" oversize (3.128" cylinder bore size.) OEM Kohler part # 52 874 12-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
  • .010" oversize (3.135" cylinder bore size.)
    • High quality aftermarket. $60.00 each set (for one piston), plus shipping & handling.
    • OEM Kohler part # 52 874 13-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
  • .020" oversize (3.145" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 14-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
  • .030" oversize (3.155" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 15-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L

Cast Pistons, Pins, Clips and Ring Sets for models KT19, KT19 Series II, M20, MV20. Wrist pin diameter: .7499"/.7501". Compression height: 1.1875". Priced per cylinder. Order two sets for one engine. To maintain engine balance and reduce vibration, two sets of matching oversize pistons and rings are required. The KT-series cast piston thrust face to cylinder bore oil clearance is .007"-.010". Not available in aftermarket. L

• STD size (3.125" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 06-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
  • .010" oversize (3.135" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 08-S. $260.95 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .020" oversize (3.145" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 09-S. $260.95 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .030" oversize (3.155" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 10-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L

Mahle Pistons, Pins, Clips and Ring Sets for models KT19, KT19 series 2, M20, MV20. Wrist pin diameter: .7499"/.7501". Compression height: 1.1875". Priced per cylinder. Order two sets for one engine. To maintain engine balance and reduce vibration, two sets of matching oversize pistons and rings are required. The Mahle forged piston thrust face to cylinder bore clearance is .0045"/.0062". Not available in aftermarket. L

• STD size (3.125" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 16-S. $173.83 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .003" oversize (3.128" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 17-S. $168.83 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .010" oversize (3.135" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 18-S. $168.53 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .020" oversize (3.145" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 19-S. $163.90 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • .030" oversize (3.155" cylinder bore size.). OEM Kohler part # 52 874 20-S. Discontinued from Kohler. L
NOTE: High-quality ring sets, pistons and piston/rings assemblies are also available for other makes and models of small gas engines. And the piston assemblies that's offered here will work with a stock connecting rod and crankshaft without the need for rebalancing. And always match a billet connecting rod of a certain length to an aftermarket piston (Arias, JE, etc.) that has the correct compression height. These two parts must be matched for the piston to come flush with the top of the engine block, or have a few thousands of an inch pop-out. If using a Kohler connecting rod, the compression height may not be correct with an aftermarket piston (Arias, JE, etc.) that has the wrong wrist pin offset. The same is true with a Kohler piston and a billet connecting rod of a the wrong length. You can find piston ring compressors on eBay

Big_Red_Fred

I'm Dr Frankenstine, i'm trying to bring my KT17 back to life but the Blood Flow isnt operational Drac LOL, hope that fuel pump cures my engine illness

0310181118_HDR.jpg

• Excellent 1