c-series don

Can we discuss the C-171 again?

c-series don

I was just going through the pictures section and came across the never (I think) produced C-171. Somebody had some information on this tractor, speculation or fact I don't remember. I wonder if one was ever made and where did it go? Or was that just a C-161 with 171 decals for the brochure? I remember the first time I saw this tractor in the brochure and thinking " I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of a C-171!" It kinda looks like a Briggs in the picture but I thought someone said it was to come with a Kohler twin? I have a C-161 twin automatic so that's my reference. Also have both C-161 8 speed and automatic, so a C-171 in the collection sure would be nice! Maybe the only one ever made is sitting in someone's garage just outside South Bend? Maybe belonging to an old gentleman who worked at the factory and happened to be in the right place at the right time when they said "we're not going to produce this tractor so take this one of a kind home!" Here's the topic, run with it boys!.......

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Love the Black Hoods!

Even the one's that only the NSA uses for black ops...

:ph34r:

Racinbob

Interesting. According to the brochure all the C's had Kohler single and twins. It also indicates that the 171 was going to be produced. Just speculating here but possibly after the brochure was printed they had issues getting the Kohler twins and just decided to use a Briggs on the 161 and drop the 171. :dunno:

In any case that year was my favorite black hood. I like the headlights and the C-series hood stand. :)

gwest_ca

The C-171's even made it into the operator manual on the specification pages and this is a late version of the manual. We do not have the early #810001R1 manual.

Garry

• Like 1

cschannuth

Following...

NJhorses

It looks like it also uses a foot control for the trans. I see no lever like a 161.

c-series don

The tractor in the photo with the rototiller is an 8-speed. The top photo is an automatic. In the 1979 brochure it says it was going to be available either or. 

wh500special

I asked Ed cole about this a couple years ago.   Bottom line was the KT series Kohler was a known turkey so WH substituted a Briggs at the last minute.  

• Like 3

c-series don

After reading that now I remember that post. But I still wonder what the tractor in the brochure has in it? There's no picture of the left side of the tractor so I can't tell for sure what is. Surely if anyone knows the story here it's Ed Cole! 

• Like 1

ericj

I had talked to Ed Cole several years ago about the C161 twins, He said that Wheel Horse did durability and reliability testing on Kohler's new KT17 and it failed, surprise surprise surprise. :ROTF:Then for shits and giggles they threw the Briggs & Sration 16 twin on and tested it. Surprise it passed so they rushed it into production. He made it sound like they had to modify the C161 single chassis with a custom hood. But looking at these pictures they already had the hood design down. He had said something about becuase it was rushed into production they went with the fiberglass hood modified to fit the older C series for 2 years till the redesigned the dash on the C xx5 series tractors.. We have to remember to talk to Ed Cole about this at the big show, that leaves me out I can't remember what I did Yesterday let alone remember to ask him a question 4 months from now  :hide:    

eric j

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

cschannuth

I can tell you that dad‘s twin Briggs in his 78 has been a great power plant. We’ve never done anything except regular maintenance to it. Plus it sat in his basement for eight years before I got it out, cleaned it up, and got it running a couple years ago.  All we had to do was give it a tuneup and fresh gas and it started right up and has been running like a top ever since. 

Edited by cschannuth
  • Like 1

c-series don

I still would like to know if a real C-171 was ever built? Maybe Ed Cole knows? I hope he comes to the big show this year because I have some other trivial questions for him. 5 months to go.... 

R. L. Addison

I was sitting in the Wheel Horse seminar in Decatur Il. when one of the people putting on the presentation came back into the room and said that they would be going to Briggs, the Kohler just blew up. I was disappointed at the news, don't know how long either had been run, what conditions, no details were given that I remember. The only seminar I was able to go to sadly.   Ron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

c-series don

Thank you for that information Ron. This was the Kohler before the series one Kohlers is that correct? 

R. L. Addison

About all I can tell you @ this point is it was "79 - '80 winter. I do not know when the changes were made, I had a C160 hydro I bought new in '74 and I was not really following what was going on @ that point. I think I probably had around 12 I was setting up for custom work, Two with decks, & the rest various other attachments. Worked nights on my job, & days on lock & tractor work. Ron

ericj
1 hour ago, R. L. Addison said:

About all I can tell you @ this point is it was "79 - '80 winter.

is it even possible that it was 77 or 78, cause that's when they came out with the C161 TWIN ???

eric j

R. L. Addison

I bought a new pickup in '79 that I drove to Decatur to the seminar, except for that I would have no idea when it was.

Pollack Pete
7 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

I bought a new pickup in '79 that I drove to Decatur to the seminar, except for that I would have no idea when it was.

That's how I remember many events that have happened in my life...........by what I was driving at the time.

• Like 1

Criss

Hello...i have a c 171....🙂

i dont ils a original engine.

kohler 10ch. ?

20180610_121932.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Criss

Bonjour ... j'ai ac 171 .... 🙂

Je ne les ai pas un moteur d'origine.

Kohler 10ch. ?

20180610_122014.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Criss

20180610_121959.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Added your tractor to the list. Click on the picture.

Has the 3 forward speeds been replaced with 6?

Garry

RandyLittrell

Boom, pack your bags @c-series don, your going to Belgium!! 

@Criss, thanks for letting us know there are at least one of those out there!! 

Randy

c-series don

Holy cow! One really does exist! And it clearly was made over there. Now, how am I going to get that here? 🤔😂😂 

• Like 1

c-series don

We need more pictures please! Looks like the hood stand is from an early C-series?