paxz71usa

Gas Shut Off Valve Leak

paxz71usa

Sorry to bring this up again. I know it's been on here before, but when I need the thread I can't seem to locate it. The metal gas shut off valve on my 1973 12 automatic decided to start leaking today while bringing in wood. I would like to repair it if I could, but of course I will replace it if needed. Anyone guide me in the right direction? I must caution though, when I go into my shop, my tool supply consists of my child hood HANDY ANDY tool kit. Anyone willing to show their age and admit they know what a HANDY ANDY tool kit is? The valve as shown in the photo is mounted on the left side dash panel, not under or through the tank as a couple of earlier threads that I've found.

Thanks

Gary

1.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
17 minutes ago, paxz71usa said:

Anyone willing to show their age and admit they know what a HANDY ANDY tool kit is?

Can't help you with the valve, but I bought my younger cousin a Handy Andy Tool Kit for his birthday while I was in the Navy.   :hide:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

roadapples

Yes, I got a Handy Andy tool set for Christmas about sixty years a go....sorry I can't help with the valve either..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

paxz71usa

Bout when I got mine.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Would this one from Home Depot do the trick?

Thanks for posting this.

I need something for the C160.

I like how this is a bolt through remote mount and only a quarter turn.

paxz71usa

Thanks, pretty sure that would work, but I would like to keep it original if possible. Think I'll just drain the gas and take the old one out and see what make it tick. Maybe there is something replaceable in there. I may install there home depot one temporarily till I figure out what's what.

Gary 

• Like 1

Thegearhead0324

I'm wondering if there's an O ring in it like the gas tank mounted ones. Just keep turning out the valve knob until it comes out and replace it.

Edited by Thegearhead0324
  • Like 1

squonk
1 minute ago, Thegearhead0324 said:

Nor really sure if it's the same as mine, but on my 1257 I took the shut off valve apart and there's an O ring on the little shaft that made mine leak. You just keep turning it out until it comes apart then take the O ring out. 

Yes that 's the way to do it. It's bolted to the hood stand if I remember right. Kind of a PITA to work on unless you remove a few things but just changing the o ring is easy as long as you drain all the gas out first. :)

• Haha 1

paxz71usa

Thanks Squonk, I'm a little slow on the up take. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out PITA :ROTF:. Kind of looked like that would be the case, but the O-ring was what I was hoping to find in there. Hope that's all it is.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk

8 hours ago, roadapples said:

Yes, I got a Handy Andy tool set for Christmas about sixty years a go....sorry I can't help with the valve either..

Might want to bring it along this year Jay! :teasing-poke:

IMG_1985.JPG.61578d070abbce17a6c21f9c7fd219ce.jpg.7653d8df5232de3586c646cb5a18e431.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Haha 2

KC9KAS
11 hours ago, paxz71usa said:

I must caution though, when I go into my shop, my tool supply consists of my child hood HANDY ANDY tool kit. Anyone willing to show their age and admit they know what a HANDY ANDY tool kit is?

That was soooo funny...My wife also knows what you are referring to!

The rubber grommet is easily enough found online & probably still at Toro dealers, as well as the metal valve itself. Personally, I would replace both at the same time.

Oops, sorry I didn't see the valve mounted to the hood stand...thought it was in the bottom of the tank.

3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Thanks....this looks live a very nice shut-off valve. Have you used this before?

Edited by KC9KAS
correction
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

Part #8023 is still available from Toro, but pricey. About $47.00.

Handy Andy Tool Set brings back memories. Here's mine.

IMG_20180218_093705608.jpg.f4f5d429006292072cf074135b43dc43.jpg

IMG_20180218_093731763.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

squonk

I found one of those Handy Andy tool boxes in a pile of junk at an auction. All rusted up with a couple of nails rolling around in it but nothing else but dirt. I wandered around for days looking for Andy. :)

• Haha 2

Sarge

Got one here, albeit a bit beaten that was my Dad's when he was a kid - the old red ones specifically and I think the original pliers are still in it . If I remember right, just an o-ring for the shaft seal on that valve.

Sarge

R. L. Addison

Seems to me there is an o-ring, but I stopped the leak by wrapping Teflon around the stem & replacing the nut.

Unscrew the packing nut, back out the valve knob, unscrew stem out of valve, change o-ring, slide nut to thumb knob, wrap Teflon around stem, & reinstall. If you tighten packing not too tight, you will not be able to turn knob to open or close valve.

Edited by R. L. Addison
  • Like 1

squonk
Just now, R. L. Addison said:

Seems to me there is an o-ring, but I stopped the leak by wrapping Teflon around the stem & replacing the nut. Unscrew the packing nut, back the valve out, change o-ring, slide nut to thumb knob, wrap Teflon around stem, & reinstall. If you tighten packing not too tight, you will not be able to turn knob to open or close valve.

That works in a pinch! 

ericj

I've repaired them by buying one of the other style valves and swapping the guts over, gets you the new o ring and packing on the valve. good luck

eric j

• Like 2

Sarge

There are also some Viton stem seals in small diameters at the hardware stores, even cone types that I used to repair these old fuel valves.

Sarge

paxz71usa

Took the valve apart this afternoon and found the o-ring.  Headed to the AMISH hardware store tomorrow to get a new o-ring. Hopefully that will take care of it. Fuel lines are next. Can't believe how badly cracked they are. If you've never been in an AMISH hardware store it's worth a trip sometime.

Gary

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Take your camera. 

:wwp:

Image result for amish hardware store quarryville pa

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

paxz71usa

New o-ring and all seems fine. 53 cents at the AMISH hydraulic shop. Ten minutes with Handy Andy pliers and I seem ready to go. Is there any reason to turn the gas off and on with every use? I had the tractor a year before I even knew there was a shut off valve. I didn't have any problems with leaving it open then. Any thoughts are welcome and thanks for suggestions and ideas on the shut off repair!

Gary

PS. Sorry AMC, Amish aren't real keen on the picture thing. 

Maybe next time.

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, paxz71usa said:

Is there any reason to turn the gas off and on with every use? I had the tractor a year before I even knew there was a shut off valve. I didn't have any problems with leaving it open 

I shut all my small engines off by turning off the gas and waiting a few minutes for the system to (mostly) empty for 2 reasons. ...

1. Until recently I was using ethanol gas and wanted as little as possible left in the system. 

I switched over to "real gas" but....

2. I  still like the idea of saving myself from potential spills due to a leak I  didn't know about.

It's only happened a few times in 3 decades or whatever  but it's just an old habit I'll likely not change.

• Like 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I was using ethanol gas

:kbutt:

Doesn't @rmaynard have/sell replacement valves & rubber bungs?

Edited by WHX14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1