Buzz

Ultrasonic rodent repellers

Buzz

Has anyone ever used these and if you did, did they work. Have signs of rats in one of the out bldgs. and don't want to use poison. Hate the smell when they curl up and die and don't want to take a chance on our dachshund getting ahold of the carcass.

Edited by Buzz

ebinmaine

Mice and chipmunks are the problem here. ..

Super fickle creatures. 

What works on one has no effect on the next one and so on. 

We don't use poisons because of the high number of predators in our area. 

Best luck I've had is with old fashion style snap traps and peanut butter as bait. 

I've not tried the ultrasonic but my parents have and weren't exactly impressed. 

• Like 1

rjg854

I've had good luck with snap traps and raisins as bait. 

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:... Say ya pwayers wabbit...

But be careful...You'll shoot your eye out...

Make sure you wear your OSHA approved NOS WH eye protection :ugeek: while hunting varmits...

:ROTF:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Haha 2

19richie66

Little pricey but very effective 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Jerry77
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

old fashion style snap traps and peanut butter as bait. 

:text-yeahthat:

I like the plastic traps - don't have to touch anything where the mouse has been....

• Like 1

19richie66

Tried the peanut butter but found if you take bacon and microwave it so it gets like jerky then tie it to the trap lever with sewing thread before you set it. We got a rat out of my mom’s house in less than10 minutes with bacon after trying peanut butter for almost a week.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Tried the peanut butter but found if you take bacon and microwave it so it gets like jerky then tie it to the trap lever with sewing thread before you set it. We got a rat out of my mom’s house in less than10 minutes with bacon after trying peanut butter for almost a week.

Because... bacon is amazing !!!

• Like 1

Jerry77
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

take bacon and microwave it so it gets like jerky

Your'e making my mouth water.........:laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sarge

I've hunted plenty of rodents over the years - but those blank cartridge shock wave traps and plunger types are cool, set and forget. Price sort of sucks, but the damage they can do is far worse.

I need to get the Sheridan Blue Streak out and clean it - unfortunately, it's a pump model and requires occasional use to keep it from drying out or sticking it's piston pump, but after all these years it's still very effective on raccoons up to 100yds. 1971 model, no safety on it - was missing when I got it . Biggest problem is the noise - very close to a .22 short round so I have to be careful in town with local ordinances.  I love the .20cal/5mm size, perfect for vermin of all types. Have considered one of the newer silenced rifles with CO2, but not sure how the laws affect them here...?

Sarge

• Like 1

formariz

Years ago I tried some of those devices. Had one type to try and keep  chipmunks away and another for deer. Its hard to imagine that chip monks are a problem but we had such a population explosion of those little guys that a few times they would go into my open van and get stuck in there eventually dying in it buried in  box of rags or worst places. Those devices were not cheap but did nothing. What solved the problem was that some hawks decided to nest in the tall poplars in the property(I wonder why). Up to today chipmunks, and rabbits basically disappeared and squirrels probably half of what used to be. As for the deer repellents same thing no effect whatsoever.

I think  a few cats with good management ( keeping them from reproducing) is your best bet. I used to also have a lot of field mice and some rats in the sheds but since a stray cat made residence and had one litter of kittens no evidence of rodents. Of course they also come with certain issues, occasionally they will poop and pee where you don't want them to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, formariz said:

I think  a few cats with good management. ........ Of course they also come with certain issues. ......

That's a great idea. ....but then they need care and food too. ....

We still may go that route at some point. 

Cvans

Our neighbors have wild cat that come over here. So far this winter I think all I've caught in the traps is 2 mice and 1 shrew. Love those wild cats! :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Sarge

Yeah - cats are out , plenty in town already and they seem to prefer to hunt the song bird population instead, which I highly dislike. My GSD is pretty territorial and is allowed to run the property loose when I go outside, cats get run out of bounds in a hurry but he doesn't have any intention of hurting them, just wants them gone out of his yard. One black one and one yellow cat have been pretty stubborn - the black one likes to crap right in the middle of the back yard, sort of a snarky cat move thing, lol - he got rolled last time the GSD caught up with him at the border but no injury to the cat or the dog. Hasn't been back lately but I still see him prowling the neighbor's pine trees along the property for song birds in the evenings, he's either going to get his owners talked to or the pellet gun but it will stop. Don't get me wrong - I love cats but I prefer them to be indoor pets, not allowed to roam outside and cause problems, especially with our song birds in the area. There are quite a few species that are basically extinct from them in Northern Illinois, all a result of cats being allowed outside - they are highly effective hunters.

The ground squirrels have gotten to be a problem with all the tunnels they are digging now , we have several pairs of hawks and a whole variety of owls around at night here - they get pretty loud at times. The best ones are the Great Horned and Screech owls, have many pairs of them that hunt this property and especially the cemetery to the south across the street from us. The Great Horned pair likes to sit in the trees around the building at night - they have more than once startled my wife when they call during the summer, lol. The big male seems to like to sit right outside our living room window by the squirrel feeder - he will sit there and watch us at times or the tv, sort of odd behavior but he seems really tame. I hand fed one many years ago, not sure but it could be the same own, who knows...

I have had luck with the mole trap that uses the spikes - 3 times now it's worked on the first try. Toughest part is picking the right tunnel they are digging in - those things move around underground very fast and don't seem to use existing tunnels much when they are hunting grubs which makes sense. Tempted to start going after the ground squirrels soon - we'll see how well the owls do this spring on them. I did try to use the acetylene trick once with a slight blend of O2 in it - mole never dug again but it took some blade work to fix some of the flying dirt - guess that was a bit too much gas but it worked. I hate tried a hose and the old Cruiser's exhaust which runs a fairly high NOX, didn't even phase the dumb thing - he just kept digging. Best killer I've ever seen is a Jack Russel terrier - but I'd never own one as they are about the most insane dog ever bred - like a fearless, drunken Irishman...

A Cruiser buddy from our forum uses a whole pack of them in Africa - to hunt lions, not kidding.

Sarge

• Like 2

Jerry77
1 hour ago, formariz said:

few cats with good management ( keeping them from reproducing) is your best bet

It is, but after our last cat died, the chipmunk population exploded.....

1 hour ago, formariz said:

we had such a population explosion of those little guys

Woods behind out house got logged, and here they came, so, I bought a small live trap, baited with peanut butter and caught 17 in 3 weeks...after that I only set it when I see some..

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I have had luck with the mole trap that uses the spikes

Started using Tom Cat Mole Killer two years ago...best stuff I have ever used...google it -....easy to use and can't be beat - no guessing..works best if you use it in the mounds where they push up the dirt- that makes it really easy to know where to place it..just use half a worm each time..that's all it takes...more bang for your buck..:twocents-02cents:

Sarge

I have tried it at Dad's old place - his back yard was getting horrible and the neighbor's didn't exactly like the ex-fire chief neighbor sitting out there in the day time with his old fire ax waiting for one to make a move - but he did get quite a few with that thing...lol. Here, I won't use any poisons or anywhere there are natural predators , especially raptors. Some hawks will actually dig the mounds a little looking for a meal - I don't want to take any chances of killing one and some are protected as they should be. I do love the birds, if you haven't figured that out - my grandmother belonged to the local Audubon chapter, go figure. She always chased off the neighborhood cats but still loved them and had her own at times - but hunting song birds to her was forbidden. We used to have Orioles here, lots of yellow finches and others that have disappeared over the years, mostly from poison and pet cats. I still remember to this day the open shootings allowed to cull the over population of English Starlings when I was a kid - they would invade my hometown like a cloud and crap everywhere - the noise from them was almost deafening. We spent several days with Dad in the yard with buckets and his old .22 short rifle killing hundreds, no way that would fly today but around here again it's getting to the point we need it . Those things are veracious and will drive out other species, not to mention they are not native to North America. I have joined Cornell University's tracking system of odd species with a phone app - have had several verified odd species show up at the feeders here , last year was one wood pecker that is still unidentified and they suspect is some sort of hybrid as well as some sort of odd hawk pair that is still around - but they are shy and my photos don't have enough detail yet to identify them enough.

The racoons are the real problem - they are getting smart and nesting in the commercial gutter trim on this old structure and destroying it . They have been using the fire escape at night to come and go and I have live trapped a few but I'm hardly putting a dent in them so far - they just keep coming with plenty of old houses that are just sitting empty in town. Tempted to start shooting them as they are pretty good at a regular schedule of leaving the nest between 10:30 and 11:00 pm daily but if I get caught by the local sheriff I could lose the gun as well as my permit , don't need that. Twice they have destroyed the trap and I've repaired it - need a far heavier one . We had tried several different baits and leg traps - they seem too smart for those and avoid them. Coons are very intelligent and don't give up easily on a good nest site - but I'll win one way or another. I've been tempted to put the Miller tig welder upstairs and set up a ground path to the iron fire escape and a plate to electrocute them but if any dumb person climbed up there I'd be in for a lot of liability, lol...it would be effective, though.

Sarge

• Haha 2

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

3 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

19richie66
5 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

I told you it works......... less than an hour after I posted this I got ya! :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I told you it works......... less than an hour after I posted this I got ya! :laughing-rolling:

Are you somehow indicating Jerry is a rat? 

:teasing-poke:

19richie66

No just sayin’ 🥓 bacon 🥓 is the best :laughing-rolling:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Haha 1

953 nut
14 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Little pricey but very effective 

Cool video. As fast as mice reproduce by time you got that thing assembled and loaded you would have twice as many.     :ychain: