Skipper

16Auto hydraulic leak

Skipper

Hi good folks

I have a leaking problem on my 16 Auto. Hope to get info on how to fix it without just ordering new.

It is leaking in 2 places. 

1. at the valve stem. The shaft seal where you operate the valve.

- Was hoping it was possible to replace the seal. 

2. at the swivel joint fittings at the cylinder.

- Was hoping for an easy fix, or as an alternative, could I perhaps just replace the swivel fitting in that end instead of the whole hose.

• Like 1

953 nut

In both cases I thing Lowell @wheelhorseman will be your best bet for repair parts.

• Like 4

pfrederi

Your hose end swivels that are leaking are crimped on and you would have to cut them off.  After that the hose would be too short.  Also they are probably SAE #5 O ring Boss  (ORB) fittings.  Finding hose end 90 degree swivels is near impossible ( I have been looking for 3-4 years now) SAE#5 fell out of favor many years ago..  You have to use adapters like SAE #5 ORB to JIC 37 Flare male. Then a JIC 37 female hose end. As pointed out by Richard above, Lowell has figured that out and would be the best way to continue.

• Like 4

Sarge

Correct - Lowell does have the swivel #5 ORB ends, or did the last time we communicated via messenger. New hoses and a valve rebuild kit will stop those issues. I replaced the hoses on my 16 Auto years ago - now the valve itself is leaking pretty good and I have to get a kit to rebuild it from Lowell myself - keep forgetting to order one. When I did the hoses I used (4) #5 ORB to JIC straight adapters and ran straight end hoses off the valve side. The ones that supply the valve off the transmission can be tricky since they are the 90* swivel type and there isn't much room to the fender on the 16 Auto - they really need to be 90* directly off the hose with no adapter. Can't recall now what is on the cylinder lines at the cylinder end right , think one was straight and the other 45* or something...I can look later on today.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

I guess it is clear what to do then ;-)

Thanks good folks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thisguyisnew

Wheelhorseman sells a very good product. No problems when using on my c-160

• Like 1