BOB ELLISON

LAWN RANGER ORDERING PARTS

BOB ELLISON

I'm getting ready to start ordering parts for my 67 lawn ranger  and this is the best place to find out what parts will work. 

L157.  Serial #  280582

ENGINE-- H60.  75117F Serial # 5217

When i try to pull start it slips inside the cover I believe there called starter dogs.

I see why there called DOGS because it dog gone hurts when I pull it.

I did some research and found these parts but I don't know if there the correct parts.

Tecumseh 590148 starter dogs

37966 (replaces 32125) starter cup.

I already picked up a cheapo carburetor  and I'll replace the old one with it.

The PO tried to repaint it and did a bad job so I'll have to get all the old paint off and see if I can save the old paint.

I did see where gas got on the front axle from the carb needle not seating and gas leaked out. I have to shut off gas valve every time or it leaks. And the  paint just bubbled up. If  gas will work maybe something a little less flammable will remove the old paint. 

New tires all around will be next .

And of course a brand new seat that I've already made.

I already changed oil and rear end grease. 

New plug and rewire the whole tractor. 

The deck is in great shape but color is faded badly so strip and repaint and blades and belt. I'll go through it all.

I'll have to wait for the weather to get warmer for this to happen.

Then I'll start on the 1054 that I have in pieces. I'll probably have the frame  sand blasted on the 1054 but that's for another post.

20180209_140456.jpg

L157-8.jpg

20160926_195324.jpg

L157-11.jpg

L157-10.jpg

• Like 6

roadapples

Great work on the seat...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

The Gman

What a great looking tractor. Doesn't it have electric start?

The seat.........:bow-blue: the seat..... :bow-blue: my kingdom for the seat.

I pick my 64 up on Sunday.

• Like 3

BOB ELLISON
16 minutes ago, The Gman said:

What a great looking tractor. Doesn't it have electric start?

The seat.........:bow-blue: the seat..... :bow-blue: my kingdom for the seat.

I pick my 64 up on Sunday.

Yes it has electric start and it works fine but I want everyone thing to work as it should. 

• Like 4

953 nut
39 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

If  gas will work maybe something a little less flammable will remove the old paint. 

Any lye based oven cleaner will remove the fresh paint and is a lot safer to use than gas. You will want to do this outside and put down some old throw-away carpet in your work area to save your lawn/driveway. Spray it on a square foot area and when it starts to bubble the paint just wipe it off and wash with water.

• Excellent 2

BOB ELLISON

I know the steering wheel is not original but it's a nice little wheel. And someone cut the hood so you wouldn't have to remove the steering wheel to remove the hood. They did a nice job on the cut but I wouldn't never cut a horse. I'm guessing that they destroyed the original  trying to get it off and cut the hood .

pfrederi

From my L-107 parts listing

Starter Dog 590148 is correct.  The tin cup it fits in is called a Retainer and is part # 590453

Carb leak ...Tecumseh used a rubber (soft plastic???) seat that fits in the carb body.  That is what the steel float valve seats in.  Like other old stiff they do not like ethanol.  When you install it the grooved side goes in first the needle valve seats against the smooth  side.  Part # 631021 gets needle , seat, and retainer spring.

One other thing I noticed you seem to be missing the belt stop.  Part #4930.  It screws into the engine block and keeps the belts in the engine pulley grooves.  Mine is not on the tractor right now i have it some where and will photo it for you ... Would be easy to fabricate.

Tecumseh Manual 5.bmp

Tecumseh Manual 6.bmp

Edited by pfrederi

BOB ELLISON

Thank you @pfrederi those part numbers was what I was looking for.

I didn't know about the missing belt stop. So I'll start looking for that too.

Achto
2 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

If  gas will work maybe something a little less flammable will remove the old paint.

Sounds like the top coat of paint is not adhering to the original paint. Thus gas is able to peal the paint up. If this is the case try spraying Easy Off oven cleaner on a spot & see if it will remove the top layer of paint for you. When I worked in a body shop we used Easy Off to remove painted on lettering from work trucks that dealers would take in on trade. Spray it on, let it sit for 15 to 30 min and wash the lettering off with soap & water. With out doing damage to the original paint on the vehicle.

• Like 1

pfrederi
8 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Thank you @pfrederi those part numbers was what I was looking for.

I didn't know about the missing belt stop. So I'll start looking for that too.

I found both he recoil parts and the carb kit online Recoil at RCPW and carb all over ebay

Found the belt stop an i have a spare..a bit rusty but it is yours if you want it

IMG_0164.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

KC9KAS
4 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

And of course a brand new seat that I've already made.

And very nicely too!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Couple more things.  Those front tires are original and you cannot directly match them anymore.  My originals are in storage.

Also curious about you belt guard.  Yours has a recess around the Lawn Ranger Decal mine does not.  Hence the decal was destroyed over the years by the mower deck Idler pulley.  My Father bought mine new in 67 so I am sure she is original...wonder if they changed belt guards ..I think 1968 models had the recesses.

• Like 1

Molinegold

I am trying to contact Bob Ellison about his tractor seat covers he makes.  

953 nut

:WRS:

@BOB ELLISON makes some great seat covers. If you click on the little envelope in the upper right corner of the home page you can send him a PM (Personal Message) and let him know what you need.

• Like 1