JC 1965

This Really upsets Me

oliver2-44

Sadden to hear this. I had a lot of respect for Shawn White for his athletic ability. But he's got to have respect for our flag, especially representing our great country in front of the world.

• Like 7

jajiu

After marching in a Memorial Day parade in town one time and after the parade we went to the VFW and on the way I saw 3 Boy Scouts were walking dragging the flags they were carrying and I commented that they should Never drag the flag on the ground and should respect it.  One of the parents yelled back I'll take care of my kids, mind you own business.  I guess they don't teach much to the Scouts and the parents didn't learn much in school.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 4

Jerry77
7 minutes ago, formariz said:

Unfortunately it happens more often than one cares to admit. It comes generally from the way kids are raised in a society where priorities and actual education about life and history are becoming more misguided every day. One can perhaps excuse a small child for doing it , however correct him or her, but a man of that age and education should know better. People here have too much, obtained at the cost of the lives of those who sacrificed and sacrifice so much for that flag and what it represents. Perhaps they should live for a while under some other flag to appreciate what they have. There are a lot of them out there to choose from. I know it from experience and I made my choice.

I know a lot of people would not agree with me, but I think having the draft again would change our young people for the better - I have a grandson who was on the wrong road and I talked him into joining the Marines..he didn't like me for awhile, but he is a 40 year old example of an upstanding Christian husband, father and community leader....wouldn 't have happened without the service...:flags-usa:

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

AMC RULES

Oh, so...

no respect for the flag, or women?

Big deal, he's an athlete...what a man.  :handgestures-thumbdown:  

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Sad 2

Sarge

I agree - watched it live.

One, our kids aren't raised the same way anymore. My daughter understands it and teaches hers what I was taught in the Corps, great but not everyone was raised that way, nor was it kept in the schools. Things have changed, not always for the better but we either have to educate the others or remain quiet - your choice. I'm not quiet, nor even all that polite about it but it's just the way I am. A lot of old values have been lost - it's the fault of prior generations like mine and I'm the first to admit it too, we didn't stand up for what generations prior to us created many years ago and this is the price. Guys like Shaun are common - they really don't know any better and were not taught the respect the way we were - nor were they taught by example of what it was to watch friends get killed in action by the tens of thousands at a time. Sure , there's been modern wars and atrocities, but nothing like the past and now Patriotism is just a talking point of politicians - they don't practice what they preach. That sets a bad example for our youth - this is the result .

Another thing - previous generations fought to protect the rights of the general population - cannot ignore that . Folks forget that part of that right is our free speech and freedom to express. Yes, it's a sign of disrespect to drag that flag - but he does in ways have that right under our Constitution - goes the same with the idiots that burn it - much to my irritation. Like it or not - and I don't , he does have that right . It's our own fault for not teaching the respect side of it - that freedom came at such a great price and we continue to pay that price. If they are not taught otherwise, well - we have to live with what happens as a result. Things are not getting better - regardless of who is in power it's all just talk - don't watch what they say - watch what they do. If half of this nation practiced what it preached it would be a different place and that's as far as I'm going with it.

Not going to start any political fights here, makes no sense nor does it do any good - we're all a friendly community - would like to see it stay that way.

Sarge

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

They just don't know...............They just don't know!

When I was a teenager one of my first jobs was helping out in an auto repair shop. At the time, there was an abundance of WW1 and WW2 vets. Those guys came into the shop, had their cars fixed or just a coffee. They told stories, not a lot but enough, about what had to happen to secure our freedom. Those securities are still going on today. Freedom is not free.

At the time I listened and really didn't understand. I was getting a first class lesson. A history lesson from those who wrote it.

They play the national anthem for those that win, They should actually say the words, it a story of the fight for our freedom.

The playing of the anthem is a time for refection, not protest.

The flag is a symbol of the never ending fight, the most important common item that tells the world what we stand for.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

Everyone is quick to be offended these days. As a patriot and as one who served, disrespect for the Flag bothers me as well.

However for me intent is an overriding filter.

It was not his intent to disrespect it.

As as far as his previous behaviors, I will let the courts and authorities deal with judging him and setting his penance.

I watched the competition with the intent to be entertained and watch the worlds greatest athletes exhibit those skills.

I for one was impressed with his skill.

• Like 2

Aldon

Hahahahahaha 

• Like 2

rjg854

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that saw and felt that way. Both my parents served in WW II. I volunteered in the Army, my son did 9 years in the Navy.  That flag represents a whole lot of patriot lives and ideas that made this Country a great place. It deserves ALL due respect. 

• Like 3

stevebo

I saw it and felt as you did at first then went back and saw the overwhelming emotion he had and he just did not realize what he was doing. He represented the country and won 3 gold metals for us. It is not the same as serving us but I don't think he did it out or disrespect in anyway. 

• Like 1

Sarge

It's a lot about values - not that today's generations don't have them, but they don't take those values as seriously as the older generations that lived through those times. When I was young we were corrected away from disrespectful behavior quickly, not just by parents , but everyone and anyone. Parents did their job better - that's obvious. Now they let social media teach their kids, bad idea and lazy in a way on their part. I don't think he understood what he was doing - although anyone from the older generations never would have done such a thing - it was a value taught deeply to them when they were young and these days things are a lot less stern in how they are taught. I'm glad he won - he's done such an amazing job and has tried to represent his country in his way, the other stuff is noise until the courts decide - who knows. Personally - if those athletes want to display their flag at the end of a competition that's fine - but do it with a small one on a stick , don't wrap a 3x5 around yourself like some cape of a trophy - to me you didn't earn it .

Sarge

• Like 4

Pullstart

I too saw Shawn's victory and was saddened to see the flag and what was happening to it, but understand his overwhelming feelings as well.  I hope that he'll come around to what happened and express his respect or sorrow for letting it happen, but I can't imagine his excitement for what he's accomplished after a recent injury during another competition, let alone Sochi where he didn't gain a podium position.

On another note, the other day I was plowing snow (for a total of 22 hours straight) and clipped a flag pole at a business just on the edge of their sidewalk and watched as the pole came across my hood and landed on the drive.  I can't recall if I even put the truck in park, on my way out to restore the position of the pole.  I felt so bad, I called the business at 2 am and left them a message expressing how sorry I am after 6 years clearing that sidewalk that I managed to clip the pole and down it.  Their office secretary called back later in the morning to tell me how many times that pole has been blown down and repaired and not to worry about the damages, they'll take care of it.  But it was more than a piece of aluminum I was sorry for, I downed our flag.

• Like 2

Sarge

Crazy how it feels so right to do the right thing - while there are so many others that would do otherwise. Kudos to you - lead by example, not by word.

Sarge

• Like 1