dells68

What to do, what to do...

dells68

Well, I've got my 857 running, cleaned up, and clearcoated.  Got a few flow indicators on the seat pan because the air temp was in the mid 60's, but I wanted it to look old anyway.  About half of it has had one old repaint and the rest was original paint.  I wire wheeled down the wheels and scuffed them with 220.  Now I don't know if I want to clear coat them or paint them white.  Looking for ideas.  One rear rim looked great, sadly the weather has worked in the others.  Let me know what you think.

IMG_7116.JPG

IMG_7117.JPG

IMG_7118.JPG

IMG_7157.JPG

• Like 6

stevebo

I have no problem painting the wheels on a patina tractor. Whatever you decide it will look fine. 

• Like 7

dells68

Thanks Steve.  It seems most patina tractors have their wheels painted.  I just wonder if since the rest of the tractor is imperfect paint, should the wheels reflect age and a certain amount of imperfections.  But, you've got to admit fresh wheels look really sharp!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Aldon

I vote for fresh paint on the rims. 

• Like 4

Joshn569

+1 fresh paint. 

• Like 3

dells68

That was originally my plan.  I think I'll go ahead and freshen them up.  I just didn't want to be too hasty and then realize I should have left them alone.

• Like 3

rjg854

I'm of the opinion also that a patina'd tractor looks nicer with painted wheels.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:angry-nono:  That's not patina on those wheels...

they're well past due for some color correction. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, dells68 said:

That was originally my plan.

:text-coolphotos:               Go with plan "A".                 :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

hondagod64

I WOULD PAINT THEM WHITE

• Like 2

19richie66

One thing that will change the look of anything is a nice set of wheels/tires. With rusty wheels you just have a tractor. With fresh painted wheels/ nice tires on the same tractor you have a cool custom. Don’t know why but thats the way it seems to be.

• Like 5

Achto
12 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

One thing that will change the look of anything is a nice set of wheels/tires. With rusty wheels you just have a tractor. With fresh painted wheels/ nice tires on the same tractor you have a cool custom. Don’t know why but thats the way it seems to be.

Totally agree. Even on old rusty car or truck looks cool with a good set of wheels & tires. I'd paint the rims.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Chris G

I'd say go ahead and paint them. 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Ditto...the antique white.

large.IMG_8045.JPG.9ccb4be8ada6163a502142ebdfaaedfc.thumb.jpg.7ba22e9340a2c9a5037bef98db16c245.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

c-series don

Craig is right antique white is the correct color. 

• Like 3

WHX??

:no: We don't ever say Craig is right around here Don........ he has a tendency to get a big head ! :ychain:

• Haha 5

dells68

Been taping off the wheels tonight.  Gonna give them a coat of white tomorrow before I go to a buddy's funeral, errrr wedding:ROTF:.  I prefer Rustoleum almond over the antique white, just my preference. I'll post up some pics  when I get them on.  I did get a NOS kohler muffler for it.  Looks sharp!!

• Like 3