tristan watson

Engine knocking

tristan watson

I went out today to give my engine a little tune up and now it seems to be running worse than it was before, i set the engint to tdc and took the valve cover off and set the intake to .090 and the exhaust to .019 then i went and set the breaker point to .019 now before i did all this it would start and run but it was extremely loud and there only about .010 clearance in the exhaust valve the intake was pretty good and the points had zero gap  now after starting and letting it run it has started to get a small knock and i really understand why anyone have any ideas? Also the throttle seems to over rev the engine at only about a quarter inch lift on the throttle lever 

Edited by tristan watson
Posted it on accident without finishing topic

953 nut

You need to revisit the points setting. If they had been set at zero previously it wouldn't have run. The points also set the ignition timing. Static timing is the best method.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

lynnmor

Maybe you could tell us exactly what engine.  Revisit that .090" valve clearance, did you mean .009?

• Like 1

tristan watson
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

You need to revisit the points setting. If they had been set at zero previously it wouldn't have run. The points also set the ignition timing. Static timing is the best method.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

I'm telling you man I rolled the engine over slowly by hand and there was zero movement between the points 

2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Maybe you could tell us exactly what engine.  Revisit that .090" valve clearance, did you mean .009?

Yes that is what I meant .009 and the engine is the k 241 model

953 nut
7 hours ago, tristan watson said:

I rolled the engine over slowly by hand and there was zero movement between the points

A points ignition system will not run if the points never open! The points must open for the electrical field in the coil to collapse generating a spark from the secondary. 

The cold valve lash for a K241 engine that has had a fresh valve job is .010 intake and .019 exhaust. For a used engine it is .008 and .017 respectively.

tristan watson
16 hours ago, 953 nut said:

A points ignition system will not run if the points never open! The points must open for the electrical field in the coil to collapse generating a spark from the secondary. 

The cold valve lash for a K241 engine that has had a fresh valve job is .010 intake and .019 exhaust. For a used engine it is .008 and .017 respectively.

Well I went out and adjusted the valves the these settings but unfortunately it didn't change anything, the crazy thing here is that the engine ran fine with the .010 and .019 settings ran a lot quieter than before then after I adjusted the points to the .020 the engine started the knocking 

953 nut
On 2/14/2018 at 10:49 PM, tristan watson said:

I

7 hours ago, tristan watson said:

after I adjusted the points to the .020 the engine started the knocking 

The points set your ignition timing. The knock is likely to be spark knock. Mike, @squonk can tell you about his experience with spark knock.