Crazy_Carl

Gas Cap for '79 C-81

Crazy_Carl

The gas cap for the tractor in my avatar is in bad shape.  The top is cracked.  I cut off the rusty metal parts.  A little bit of gas leaks out every time I use it.  I ordered a new Stens one and it wouldn't thread on to my gas tank.  It would however thread on the the gas tank on my C-125, but not all that well.  Any ideas on where to find an alternate replacement or does something happen with the threads on these gas tank?

19richie66

Got any pictures?

GlenPettit

I think it may look like this.  If it's just the clear lens that's cracked, we have replacements ($5).  If the inside metal parts are really rusted or the float is damaged, best to replace the entire cap ($18-20, I don't have these, called 'Kelch caps', even NAPA type stores can order them for you, 8" deep).  There should be a flat rubber washer or o-ring to seal the cap to the tank, but they are often missing, not really essential, any hardware has them.  The gas cap vent is on the side of the top rise, so water/dust won't get in.

(Note: there is a small metal screen sticking up 1" from in the bottom of your tank [just blow this gauge], that should be cleaned annually, can be done with an old toothbrush brushing the sides to remove the gunk, held via pliers).

IMG_0764 copy 2.JPG

Edited by GlenPettit

Crazy_Carl

Yes!  That replacement clears lens may be all that I need.  The lower parts of my fuel cap were rusted really bad so I just cut it off and I don't really miss it.  I took the o ring from the gas cap I purchased that didn't work (a kelch) and put it on my old gas cap.  Will that clear lens fit my original gas cap?  If so how do I purchase one?

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

Edited by Crazy_Carl

dells68

Visit Glen in this post:

Indicator Gas Gauge  LENS CAP

ead9e12f-fef9-4045-aead-f78babb63e6f_zps

Replaces the original 113/16"OD clear indicator Gas Gauge Lens of your Kelch or Bemis 6" gauge that has probably yellowed and cracked over time to the point where you cannot see the dial.  Simply remove your old lens and glue in this new one with 2-3 drops of glue.  The small Vent Hole is located out the side of the small raised center dome, going out horizontal, to almost eliminate the chance of any dust or water from getting in.  If your float is still OK, why spend $15 for an entire new gauge. This offer is for the Epoxy lenses only, not the gauges shown. The lenses are 98+% translucent and will fit any Kelch, Bemis or similar (21/2"OD cap) with any length stem and many other brands of Garden Tractors use this same indicator gas cap lens.

These Lenses are $5 each,    plus $3.50 first class shipping (for up to six lenses).  (Dec. '17)

Prefer personal check or m.o. over PayPal (or just add their 5% service fee):  Orders may be combined. -GlenPettit@WheelHorseForum.com  . . . for PayPal transfers, use: GlenPettit@WheelHorseForum.com

Glen Pettit * 1541 N. Michigan Road * Eaton Rapids, MI 48827-9225

Edited February 2 by GlenPettit
  •  
  • Like 1

doc724

I had the same problem on my 1981 C125 (gas cap would not fit well), yet on my 1978 C141 which I restored a few years earlier, the replacement fit very well.  The earlier replacement was a Toro OEM while the later was a Stens part (I was being cheap).  These caps are pretty widely used and perhaps the difference is in the tank design which causes the Toro cap to fit better

Sarge

You can find all kinds of them in your size (measure the neck diameter inside/outside from http://www.capsandgauges.com/

They also carry the Kelch fuel cap gauges - just measure the depth of the tank and be certain the gauge length is about 1/2"-3/4" less overall. I just put one of their bayonet type cap/gauges on the old D's metal tank - fits well and doesn't leak all over. Nice to have an idea of how much fuel is left for once, instead of having to look inside - will probably get one for the C-160, 16 Auto and 1277 too...,lol.

Sarge

Crazy_Carl
23 hours ago, dells68 said:

Visit Glen in this post:

Indicator Gas Gauge  LENS CAP

ead9e12f-fef9-4045-aead-f78babb63e6f_zps

Replaces the original 113/16"OD clear indicator Gas Gauge Lens of your Kelch or Bemis 6" gauge that has probably yellowed and cracked over time to the point where you cannot see the dial.  Simply remove your old lens and glue in this new one with 2-3 drops of glue.  The small Vent Hole is located out the side of the small raised center dome, going out horizontal, to almost eliminate the chance of any dust or water from getting in.  If your float is still OK, why spend $15 for an entire new gauge. This offer is for the Epoxy lenses only, not the gauges shown. The lenses are 98+% translucent and will fit any Kelch, Bemis or similar (21/2"OD cap) with any length stem and many other brands of Garden Tractors use this same indicator gas cap lens.

These Lenses are $5 each,    plus $3.50 first class shipping (for up to six lenses).  (Dec. '17)

Prefer personal check or m.o. over PayPal (or just add their 5% service fee):  Orders may be combined. -GlenPettit@WheelHorseForum.com  . . . for PayPal transfers, use: GlenPettit@WheelHorseForum.com

Glen Pettit * 1541 N. Michigan Road * Eaton Rapids, MI 48827-9225

Edited February 2 by GlenPettit
  •  

I'm sending you a check.