Dakota

Wheelhorse 607 vs 656

Dakota

I have the opertunity to buy either a model 607 or a 656. Each of them are $300. First of all is this a good price for either of them? The 656 comes with a deck and the 607 is just the tractor its self. Both are in good shape and both run good (so I’ve been told, don’t know for a fact) Second which one is better for farm use/plowing snow? Farm work would just consist of pulling around a yard cart with horse manure. I haven’t seen much about these models so that’s why I’m asking.

B153A3C2-954D-4442-A6C2-561D0CCF0098.png

E3143B92-91DD-4A4F-802B-306C84DDB321.png

D23D17ED-3349-4FD5-9DC3-B9A936CE5CFF.png

8A79C8F4-F084-47B7-AB64-6639CF12CE49.png

• Like 1

jellyghost

Welcome!  

Members smarter than me will be along to comment.

I wonder why the 607 has the bumper on the front?

If I were you, I would wait for a post 1973 Wheel Horse with a single piston cast iron Kohler motor. The Kohler motor has a stellar reputation, and attachments became standard in 1973.  This would allow you to build a collection of additional attachments over time, and sourcing parts would be easier.  Having said that... $300 isn't a bad price for a working tractor with a mower deck.

Welcome!  

Members smarter than me will be along to comment.

I wonder why the 607 has the bumper on the front?

If I were you, I would wait for a post 1973 Wheel Horse with a single piston cast iron Kohler motor. The Kohler motor has a stellar reputation, and attachments became standard in 1973.  This would allow you to build a collection of additional attachments over time, and sourcing parts would be easier.  Having said that... $300 isn't a bad price for a working tractor with a mower deck.

I just noticed that you live in CA.  It seems like the vintage garden tractors are harder to find in  CA.  Both of these tractor look fine to me!

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Achto

:WRS:  I'm not a Tecumseh, fan but both of those tractors look nice in the pictures. $300 does not seem out of line to me.

Edited by Achto

Mike'sHorseBarn

:WRS: I second the above comment about not being a tecumseh fan. I've sold every tractor I had that had a tecumseh except for one. For $300 I would hold out for something with a kohler. I'm not sure exactly what state you are in, but keep an eye on craigslist and public sales and you'll find a good horse with a kohler for $300 somewhere along the line. I don't know your mechanical skill level, but I've gotten a couple horses that looked rough for a cheap price, but with a little work, turned out to be my best machines. One of them is in my profile picture. It's hard to kill a kohler! Just my 2 cents.

Mike

WHX??

:WRS: As mentioned above I would have a tendency to hold out for something with a Kohler, not as finicky and much easier to find parts for. Price is a tad high for both those tractors but as Mike said

3 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

a little work, turned out to be my best machines

Ditto Mike

Now on the other hand if the price was right a guy had a Kohler to drop in one of those! :) Good luck with your search.

953 nut

:WRS:         A six horsepower :wh: is very capable of pushing snow and pulling a cart full of horse manure.

The photos look like they have been well maintained. A little test drive to see if any issues exist is in order, but if they are in good condition I think $ 300 is reasonable. 

Pullstart

Yeah, my answer is: 

Easy pick!  Get both of 'em!

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

:WRS: I have had many of these. One thing I have learned is run the engine more. They like to be run. The other thing is the carbs if you have original and it is in good shape save it. If not get them off E-Bay. Buy 2 it better than one there cheap.  Let us know how this works out.