nj1052

K181S starter bendix problem

nj1052

Hi all

I have just had the starter off my K181S on my Commando 800 for a clean up and service and I am missing a tooth on the bendix! I have looked around but I can not find a part number. Does anyone know it please?

Many thanks from the UK

stevasaurus

go to page 51 in this manual and see if this is what you have.

:)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Read the 1st few pages in this manual, it tells you how to find the right part.  You need your spec number for the K 181 S engine.  find that in the pages from around 5 through 9 on the left column...follow across to Group 11...remember the number that is there.  Go to Group 11 (page 48) and scroll down until you see the number you wrote down by the number by the picture of the parts you are looking for.  Hope that makes sense.  Let us know what you find.  We have other options.  :)

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Right Richard, but he needs to verify the numbers before he can pursue that.

I'm guessing that he has Kohler K 181 S spec # 30461D...if that is true, looks like 2 starters might work.  The number should be on the starter.:occasion-xmas: 

It is kind of fun to go through this manual and try to figure out what you really have.  :banana-linedance:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JimmyJam
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If another starter is needed you may want to contact http://a-ztractor.com/ 

@stevasaurus is correct Richard. He needs to identify the exact starter for that Kohler.  A lot of Commando 800's in Europe were built in Belgium as well.

BTW: @nj1052 :text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

GlenPettit

Note:   When you clean a starter shaft (that goes out to engage the gear-flywheel, then retracts),  WD-40 is great for cleaning it to dissolve the oil, grease & crud, BUT, WD-40 is not a lubricate, it will not stay on the shaft and does not protect it, actually leaving it unprotected. 

Always use a heavy grease (I like to use white lithium grease, but there are probably are even better lubricates).  

That starter shaft is exposed and in a very dirty environment and must be cleaned at least annually, then lubricated, otherwise it will continue to stick and wear more and more often.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

@stevasaurus is correct Richard. He needs to identify the exact starter for that Kohler.  A lot of Commando 800's in Europe were built in Belgium as well.

BTW: @nj1052 :text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:hide:           I overlooked the location being in Europe.

nj1052

Many thanks to you all for the help and information. The specification of my motor is as suggested above so now I know what I need. I have just had a delivery of parts from A-Z Tractors so I guess there may need to be another as parts over here are in very short supply. The killer is the shipping costs which are very high but we have to keep these great machines running! I have been mowing with mine for 29 years so I guess a little investment is fair enough.

All the best from the UK

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

JimmyJam

So, so true! Even in the US shipping is a killer expense. We all do what we do to keep these lil' RED machines running well as they are meant to do!!!! Best of luck! A-Z tractor is an outstandingly, honest  WH vendor; as I have used him numerous times for parts & has shipped FAST.

• Like 1