Sign in to follow this  
Retired Wrencher

Timming marks

Retired Wrencher

These are the only marks I found on the fly wheel. I suspect this has to be in the middle of the timing hole to be in time?

IMG_0177_LI.jpg

IMG_0178.JPG

pfrederi

There should be two marks.  One S (Spark) and T  (TDC). You want S in the center of the hole.  I swear Kohler picked the 98 lb weakling to punch the marks on the wheel... They can be very very faint

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

gwest_ca

If the engine runs you can stick a length of wooden dowel in the timing hole and let it polish the rust on the side of the flywheel. The timing marks don't get polished leaving them visible.

Garry

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

clueless

:text-yeahthat:

Retired Wrencher
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

If the engine runs you can stick a length of wooden dowel in the timing hole and let it polish the rust on the side of the flywheel. The timing marks don't get polished leaving them visible.

Garry

Garry I bought this with no points in the engine. It was cheap. But I can use a drill and do the same. The marks should be on the inner side of flywheel= next to the engine. Thanks.

Retired Wrencher

I found them I used a small stiff brush with a drill and found the marks. The pick with the marks is the T...

• Like 1

squonk

rub some chalk on the flywheel then wipe it off. The marks and letters will remain white.

• Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
16 hours ago, squonk said:

rub some chalk on the flywheel then wipe it off. The marks and letters will remain white.

Mike do you need battery power? for this? I would have to get a battery for it if so.

LRE

Any time I get the chance for the flywheel being off or the blower cover off, I always paint the marks whether it be for me or the next guy. I line up the marks and take chalk and mark the outside cover for easy viewing while the engine is running and you can see the marks very easily, adjust the point gap and good to go. Far easier than trying to find the marks thought a little hole in the blower cover. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1