Sign in to follow this  
whchris

warning advanced auto brakes

whchris

this is just a warning for all you guys just under a year ago i put "performance" brakes from advanced auto parts in my Chevy blazer. well they worked fine till yesterday they made a grinding noise i took them off to find they are worn clean down to the steel :thumbs::whistle::whistle: do not buy brakes from advanced and if you already have i highly recommend keeping a close eye on them or changing them. these brakes were the top of the line they had i would hate to see the bottom of the line brakes :dunno:

canam1991

Did you buy the cheap ones :thumbs: i think they have a warranty :whistle:

noncritical

about how many miles did you get out of them city or highway

whchris

no i did not buy the "cheep" ones they had, but i did not get them from napa. i bought my car with 153,000 miles and it is at 174,000 now i do not know the exact mileage of when i put the brakes on but i think it was somewhere around 160,000 i drive city, highway, back roads, off road, make my own roads, my lawn road, the road on the beach, and i pull a trailer often i usually have a ton of tools in the back sometimes 4 people or 3 dogs and once four people and three dogs (not fun!) those pad should have lasted a lot longer they are no good! (ive found this about a lot of advanced parts too)

canam1991

well i all depends on how hard you ride them i know a lady that delivers papers and she needs pads every month but the lifetime warrenty i would say your pads wore correctly. unless a caliper bushing was stuck making the pad always incontact with the rotor.... :thumbs:

illinilefttackle

:thumbs: The life of your front pads-are directly relative to how good your back brakes are-if they are adjusted up so they do a lot of the braking-if not your pads will glaze over and wear prematurely-AL+

Sarge

What year Blazer? My brother-in-law's has chewed up both rear rotors, pads and front pads like they are going out of style . Turns out the rear calipers are not working correctly and causing a lot of issues by overloading the fronts since they don't work effectively.

BTW-his is a '98 4wd..

Sarge

perry

mini blazers are known for chewing up brakes. when i worked in a shop in the 90's i seen alot of the same repeat customers bringing their blazers back in for brakes.

did you turn the rotors or get new ones ?????. put a different brand pad on and i bet you have the same promblem.

bad rotors, sticking caliper, rear brake issues, poor driving conditions = will chew up brake pads.

Guest fireman

Perry is right on the money. Automotive brakes were my specialty when automechanics was my game. The S10 Blazers were notorious for wearing out brakes. Also, to properly replace brakes, it crucial to either replace or resurface the rotors/drums, and assure that both calipers/wheel cylinders function properly. calipers should be wire brushed/sanded were they slide along with their mating surface and properly lubricated. If they use pins, then they too should be inspected, cleaned, and re-lubricated. If replacing rear shoes, spend the extra $6-$12 and replace the hardware also.

I once watched a guy actually do his brakes right in the parking lot of an autoparts store. He jacked it up, pulled off the tire, unbolted the caliper, used a pair of channel locks to compress the piston (big mistake, can score the cylinder walls if the piston doesn't go back in straight), then put the new pads on and put it back together. I JUST SHOOK MY HEAD AND LAUGHED :thumbs:

whchris

its a 2000 chevy blazer the first time i did the brakes i put it up on the lift checked them all 3 days after i bought it one rear caliper was stuck and the other was rough so it got new calipers new dust shields new rotors and while i was there new bearings and of course the pads, and all new ebrake parts (one side would stick if you used it) so on to the front same deal plus all new ball joints that were greased with heavy grease. anyways enough on my maintenance. i did the same brake job on my sisters 02 blazer same deal but she bought the parts at napa because advanced never reordered after i bought mine i did hers about a month after mine checked them yesterday the pads arnt even half worn she put about 20,000 more miles than me on it too (drives it to work and for work) and her car takes the same abuse that mine does if not worse (women drivers you know :thumbs: )

anyways enough on my maintenance.

all four pads were worn down past the "squeakers" but they were all broken clean off were they bend. this time i said screw the rotors the pads have a lifetime warranty but only if you have the slip for them and since my tires come off every oil change whats an extra 15 min? anyone wanna buy a chevy blazer? :whistle: