Kupka

1961 suburban 551

Kupka

Could someone please e mail me a pic of were the decals go on the 5.5 Tecumseh motor and the serial number tag also the clutch decal my e mail is mjkupka@ yahoo.com thank you butch .

WHX??

Hello  Butch and :WRS: if I already haven't done so. I can't  answer your questions but sure other will be along who can. 

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1

jellyghost

I met a collector in iowa desperate for that motor!  If you want me to dig through emails and texts, I can try to put you in contact.

Kupka
10 hours ago, jellyghost said:

I met a collector in iowa desperate for that motor!  If you want me to dig through emails and texts, I can try to put you in contact.

I’m not selling I just need to know the decal layout for the motor 

13 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Hello  Butch and :WRS: if I already haven't done so. I'm answer your questions but sure other will be along who can. 

10 hours ago, jellyghost said:

Hello  Butch and :WRS: if I already haven't done so. I'm answer your questions but sure other will be along who can. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Try a search here on 551 You might find some pictures that answer your questions. there are a few members here that have a 551 but can't remember who they are!

Kupka
1 hour ago, WHX14 said:

Try a search here on 551 You might find some pictures that answer your questions. there are a few members here that have a 551 but can't remember who they are!

Thanks Jim , will try that , I’m having trouble navigating this site I’m somewhat enept on the computer.

• Like 1

WHX??
12 minutes ago, Kupka said:

enept on the computer

Join the crowd! :lol:

Upper right hand corner is the search box.  try search in the different categories for Tecumseh and 551.

• Haha 1

wallfish

@formariz probably has one for you. Just tagged him so maybe he'll see it. Sold my last H55 to him but don't think it had the decals

oldredrider

Wish I could help but my H55 doesn't have decals either. Did they even come with them? Only ID is the model plate on mine.

Edited by oldredrider

Kupka

C1391D5B-4D65-4CAD-BF74-3CB94228A283.jpeg

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Those would look nice stuck anywhere on the tractor!  Those nice a decals I'm thinking we may have to see the rest of the tractor! I'm drawing a blank as to ever have seen them on a Tecky.The one Craig showed yes ... Something special to the 5.5 HP??? I was perusing manuals hoping to maybe get a clue ...We'll keep looking

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: I've got something similar to those on the H60 in my '63 model 653.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

formariz

To my knowledge the only decals that belong on the 551 besides the hood ones, and the shifting pattern are the ones pictured below.  The Lauson decal on the shroud as shown, the clutch decal on the starter and the serial # I believe on the left side of frame towards the center.

IMG_1052.JPG.e0c4add48a8024c80964222c86a5d2ee.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG.d8633910294d5447f64563267f131f5f.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG.d4f13cd9f60bb0719bdd3c24eb2c2c94.JPG

• Like 1

Kupka

Thanks , I got them from redo your horse.com   he seems to know his decals 

3 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Those would look nice stuck anywhere on the tractor!  Those nice a decals I'm thinking we may have to see the rest of the tractor! I'm drawing a blank as to ever have seen them on a Tecky.The one Craig showed yes ... Something special to the 5.5 HP??? I was perusing manuals hoping to maybe get a clue ...We'll keep looking

Thanks Jim ,I put some pics up when I get done ,I’m down to painting the deck . I’ve owned my own autobody shop for over 30 years just retired , been collecting lawn tractors for all those years to .

• Thanks 1

Shynon

@Terry M Does the H55 you got from me have the decal on the shroud?

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Now Richard he's a newbie ....let's not confuse him more than he already is!:ychain:

Butch... he does know his decals he is our go to here. BUT he might not know what decal goes on any specific tractor ... nobody knows that unless you were working in the Ireland Rd plant at the time and even then??  I like Cas's post and you won't go wrong. 

Edited by WHX14
  • Haha 1

wallfish
16 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

I like Cas's post and you won't go wrong.

:text-yeahthat:

He might have more H55s on and off of Wheel Horse tractors than anyone on here and a ton of knowledge about them.

• Like 1

Terry M
48 minutes ago, Shynon said:

@Terry M Does the H55 you got from me have the decal on the shroud?

Not sure :unsure:...I'll have to look... 

• Like 1

formariz

Unless an entirely original 551 comes around with paint and decals intact, it is very hard to know what is correct for it. I base my opinion, assuming that engines were bought from manufacturer already painted and prepared for Wheelhorse. Based on the engine breakdown sheet from Lauson, such engine only shows two identification badges on it . It is the metal engine ID tag part #650240 and decal with Name & Horsepower part # 28887. Decal is clearly visible on parts list and it is clear upon magnification. That makes the Decal on the first photo correct. The one in second photo would then be incorrect for that engine. As for the other separate labels on photo, I am not sure the 5-1/2HP one is correct since it would be redundant unless it was used with label on second photo. The other Tecumseh label  I find no evidence that it actually existed in 1961. As for the EZstart label I believe that that magneto only became available on the first or second generation H60 series which really replaced the h55.

C1391D5B-4D65-4CAD-BF74-3CB94228A283.jpeg.426901817c9e2c682228c6c972460ab4.jpeg.d682556ce9d50dee9aa33856491e6cd2.jpeg

IMG_1052.JPG.02cf63e2a4a27f99a1944d756fe92139.JPG

formariz

With the new photo bucket fix discovery here is an older post with additional information.

wallfish

Edited by wallfish

Kupka

Thank you for the info, appreciate your help butch.