Jump to content
608KEB

Multimeter question

Recommended Posts

Is this the correct setting to test the battery or voltage output? I tested four different batteries. The reading is saying about 17.0-17.5 on all 4 batteries.IMG_20180210_173117488.jpg.5fa5381a79173ee43602d32984d77d73.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks correct to me and starting with the dial at 200 volts is good. If the results are less than 20 volts turn to 20 and the results may be more accurate.

 

Garry

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

200 is probably ok but I would use the 20 myself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll get a better reading on the 20vdc scale - don't ask me why it works like that - shouldn't matter but on mine it's way off when set to the 200vdc notch. I finally gave up on it and the funky readings and got a Phoenix instead.

 

Sarge

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the 9v battery that powers your muti-meter. Some meters will throw high readings when the meters battery is low on power.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I'll check the battery. I replaced the multimeter battery. I tested the old 9 volt battery. It showed 11.5 volts. Do you think my tester has possibly gone bad?

Edited by 608KEB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the meter been in a cold shop? It will effect the electronics even on a good Fluke meter. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Achto said:

Check the 9v battery that powers your muti-meter. Some meters will throw high readings when the meters battery is low on power.

I have a craftsmen brand that definitely does that

 

 

44 minutes ago, squonk said:

Has the meter been in a cold shop? It will effect the electronics even on a good Fluke meter. 

Good info there... thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not s electrician but I think the red wire that is plugged into the meter is in the wrong spot. Move it up so its in the dc spot.  It looks like its in the spot to read ohms.  And turn knob to 20 if your checking for 12 volts dc.  The higher numbers is for checking higher voltage.  I always start with a  high number and move down  from there.  Also is your knob 180 degrees out.  In the picture it looks like it's one click off from checking continuity . Click it one turn clockwise and touch the two leads together if it beeps your meter is not pointing to 20 volts dc hope this helps 

 

 

 

Edited by moe1965
More info
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moe1965 said:

I'm not s electrician but I think the red wire that is plugged into the meter is in the wrong spot. Move it up so its in the dc spot.  It looks like its in the spot to read ohms.  And turn knob to 20 if your checking for 12 volts dc.  The higher numbers is for checking higher voltage.  I always start with a  high number and move down  from there.  Also is your knob 180 degrees out.  In the picture it looks like it's one click off from checking continuity . Click it one turn clockwise and touch the two leads together if it beeps your meter is not pointing to 20 volts dc hope this helps 

 

 

 

 

 

I think he has it correct.  The upper red outlet is for 10 amp current reads

The one he is plugged into show V Volts Omega for ohms and  then micro amps

 

 

 

meter.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 5:43 AM, squonk said:

Has the meter been in a cold shop? It will effect the electronics even on a good Fluke meter. 

No the garage is heated. I just snowplowed with a 520H. The volt meter on tractor  is working correctly. 

I've  been to read the volts correctly  in the past with the + and - plugged in where they current are in picture.

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 608KEB said:

Has the meter been in a cold shop? It will effect the electronics even on a good Fluke meter. 

This is very true. Having worked on and in industrial refrigeration systems for years it didn't take long to figure out that digital and cold don't get along at all. I still prefer a quality analog meter. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

×