speedyleedy

Looking at 312A

speedyleedy

Looking at 1986 312A that's for sale are they good or bad ? Really don't know much about them

Sparky

The 12hp Kohler is a great motor whether it’s the K301 or the Magnum. The tranny on the other hand is the weaker hydro pump offered on the 300 series tractors. If it has hydraulic lift it’s the better pump, it’s it a manual lift machine it’s the weaker one. I suspect it’s the weaker unit. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

The 312A was actually one of the premium models for that year with a louvered hood and chrome exhaust. The Eaton 700 actually is the Wheel Horse manual transaxle with 1" axles that uses 10W30 oil for the final drive that the Eaton transmission, using 20W oil, has been combined with. It does depend on what your intending to do with it. The 312A is a good tractor but has the smaller 6" wheels and a manual lift. I use to own one that the original Kohler bit the dust so had a replacement 12 hp Kohler. But the transmission was the original Eaton 700 that was still strong after 1100+ hours. I bought it with a 48" mower which I assumed it ran and was the original deck. The owner had other attachments for it as well including a log splitter that it ran. It seems that a number of tractors with the Eaton 700 must have been abused which is where they get a poor reputation.

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

I've got one here in my bone pile that threw the connecting rod.I've cannililized many parts off it,but the tranny is still in it.Acording to a very trustworthy previous owner,the tranny is good.So many horses here,that I used this one for parts.Probably should have put a rod in it.It WAS a really clean tractor when I got it.Tranny would be for sale if anyone needs it.

KC9KAS

I bought a 312 A from a friend a couple summers ago and have been using it as my mowing machine. It has the hydro lift and has been very well maintained.

I am probably the 4th owner of this machine, but it is a very dependable working tractor.

speedyleedy

it has no hydro lift but its in very good shape

speedyleedy

It has the chrome muffler cover 

ERBSHORSE62

Tim,

I purchased a one owner used 1986 312-A in 1993 from a local Wheel Horse  dealer  back then in Ohio.  It had 175 Hrs on it .  I have used it since then to originally mow around 1/2 acre. We moved in 2014 and now I mow just under 1 acre. It had a 36 in rear discharge mower which works great in keeping the grass out of the shrubs and around the tree. 

It has as the manual lift, Eaton 700 Trans, Chrome Muffler, Louvered hood etc.   Currently has around 1100 hours .  The original owner never left it outside and neither do I .  I recently did pick up a used complete 1986 -312A  rear end from Tim in Ohio , just to have in case the Trans ever needs replaced.    

The 312A has been an awesome tractor and my Grandkids like to drive it , because it is easy to handle .   I would go for the 312A if you have a chance.  I have many more Wheel Horse tractors and purchased my first in 1977 and this one fits right up their as a favorite.   Hope this helps with your decision.   Herb in Ohio

• Like 1