PeacemakerJack

Competitive Garden Tractor Plowing

PeacemakerJack

Following @Stormin‘s  thread on his wheel weights, I noticed @R. L. Addison‘s comments on competitive plowing overseas.  I’ve done LOTS of plowing but none for competition. Mine has been for the thrill of turning earth.

I’m starting a thread here to learn from my :wh: brothers on the other side of the pond or up north in Canada or maybe here in the states that have plowed in a GT plowing competition.  I’d love to see pics of your rigs, competitions, and details of what you’ve learned pros and cons to setting up a single bottom Brinly for winning competitions. What consistutes a winning plow land?  I’m not interested in hearing about full size tractors and plows in this thread (maybe a different thread could be started elsewhere on the forum for that), only GT’s and their setups please...

I sure hope you guys weigh in cause I’d like to learn more about this...:popcorn:

Rp.wh

Also would love to here of this, i have seen the big tractor ones i will sit back and take a seat to see what people have to say , good topic!!

• Like 1

Stormin

I'm just a pure beginner myself. In the region I live here in Cumbria there is little, if any I know of, GT ploughing competitions. The club I'm a member of, Hethersgill Vintage Club, hold a ploughing match every year. Two years ago I got them to run a horticultural class and we would have had another last year but the land we use was too wet. Hoping this March will be better.

Some lads came down from Scotland, where they have regular horticultural matches and were really helpful with advice. I plough with an Auto Culto plough off a walk behind, so can't comment on a Brinly. As for setting up a plough, the best I can advise is visit RS's sister forum My Old Machine. The Fife Plooman has given some really good advice on there. Look up my topics. I can't tell you which off hand. Also on there, George and other Scots have posted about matches they have entered.

Below I've posted some photo's of my C-121 ploughing tractor. The Black Horse. It has had some mods done. Ie. Rear and front wheels. Electric hitch lift.

DSCF0008.JPG.fbd2b9274b3faa3c51d98b3f6740c247.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG.520063e20645bd1c00e055abe91749cd.JPGDSCF0012.JPG.48c2adebccca5e1b21017f04b123ce30.JPG5a7def9c6c144_DSCF0008(3).JPG.c511f0cda6a3d001ab50755b6d029003.JPG

I'll try and provide more info for you when I've done some searching. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

:popcorn:Here for the show.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-offtopic:    When I saw @Stormin's picture it made me think of this old :wh: advertisement.   :ychain:

DSCF0012.JPG.48c2adebccca5e1b21017f04b123ce30.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

• Haha 7

Stormin

Right! To give you lads some ideas and save me a lot of work. I'm not a computer wiz kid. Log on My Old Machine and look up my topics below. If I knew how to post links I would.

Plough. July 21 2015. 

Front Wheel Weight. Sept 6 2015

Plough Mod Jan 2018

• Like 2

ebinmaine
17 hours ago, Achto said:

:popcorn:Here for the show.

:text-yeahthat:

R. L. Addison

Do not know anything about competitive garden tractor plowing, I went to a state contest when my wife's brother-in-law hosted it in the late '70's in Odell Il. but did not pay a great deal of attention except to look at some of the rigs that had come in from other areas. A lot of demonstrations, equipment, skills, horses, corn picking by hand, to name just what I remember. (Months of preparations, crops, equipment, etc).

The world matches were much the same, but much bigger.

Judging was based on ":opening split", how level the plot was at finish, depth consistency, how fast the plow went to depth, how even the ends were, & closing furrow that I remember. An education in it's self. SOUP's ON!   Ron