B.Roid99

Found a new obsession, need help with a decent price on two WH tractors

B.Roid99

I was goofing around on the internet the other day and started looking at mowers. We just moved and now I have 7 acres to mow. My father-in-law wants to sell me his hustler for $3000, but I think these vintage tractors are just cool looking. So I found a guy about 40 mins from me selling a bronco 14 with a broken rod and a charger 12 without a deck. The bronco seems to be original but the charger had been repainted. He is asking $650 for both. What is a good price? Thanks in advance. I look forward to learning a lot from this forum. 

Screenshot_20180207-233658.png

Screenshot_20180207-233705.png

• Like 3

B.Roid99

I made two identical posts. Can a mod delete one, please? Thank you. 

• Like 1

mrc

hello sir, welcome to red square. wheelhorse tractors are addictive....... don't ask how i know.  seems a little high on the price since one has a non running engine. without a running engine you cannot test the hydro rearend on the bronco.  our beloved little tractors are real powerhouse's   you can do many chores around your new property. seat time is always good. however they are not super quick mowers compared to modern day zero turns. best of luck  mike in mass. 

• Thanks 1

B.Roid99

I thought it was a little steep. I'm thinking about offering $400 for both. If he doesn't take it, I have a few more that I am looking at. I'm not really concerned with speed, these old tractors just have a "not everyone has one" factor that I am really liking. Hopefully I can pick one up soon so I can have it ready for the spring. 

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

Not to take you out of being a Wheel Horse-aholic, but with 7 acres to mow look for a Hydrostatic version with at least a 48" or bigger deck and honestly an xi series with a 60" deck if it's mostly flat and no obstacles the ZTR might be ticket, now for gardening and driveway maintaince those 2 :wh: would come in handy and $650 for 2 don't sound too bad it all really depends on what you're willing to pay plus condition and price of repower/repairs good luck and :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:, Jeff.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

For a non-running tractor I think price is too steep...

:twocents-02cents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  Keep looking. 

:WRS:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:      

If the Charger runs you could always do an engine swap to get things going while the 14 HP is being rebuilt.  :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

B.Roid99 :WRS: In my opinion you do not need big horse power to mow grass. More power more gas. You can always look for a promowgold5gang_500.jpgtow behind mower like  this  has a 97"  cutting width. I think as long you do not have many big rocks or large hills to mower around this could work. Or a gas power 60 inches. This gang mower is under $2000. find your self a nice 10hp or an 8hp and you will all set. I mean you do have 7 acres to mow. That is a lot of grass to cut. Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

Tankman

Offer less $$$. Two nice Horses. Good luck. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Years ago I used a gang reel. Nice. Mowed more (seat time), made the lawns look like a golf course.

T-Mo
5 hours ago, B.Roid99 said:

I made two identical posts. Can a mod delete one, please? Thank you. 

I merged your two threads and deleted your duplicate post.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Not to take you out of being a Wheel Horse-aholic, but with 7 acres to mow look for a Hydrostatic version with at least a 48" or bigger deck and honestly an xi series with a 60" deck if it's mostly flat and no obstacles the ZTR might be ticket

Pass and keep looking. With 7 acres to mow i would follow the above advice and look for something bigger. If you don't want a zero turn, I think a 520-H would work nicely, it would just take a while to mow 7 acres. Plus a 520 would plow a driveway and maintain a garden with the right attachments.

Mike 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

clueless

When cutting 7 acres the hustler is a no brainer. If the hustler has been maintained you will not be disappointed. Deck size being equal, the hustler will easily cut the same amount of grass, 3.5 times faster. Now as far as seat time enjoyment the WH is hands down the winner. Get the hustler, then you have plenty of time to find a nice WH at the right price, you do live in the land of plenty.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

TDF5G

With 7 acres to mow, you'd probably want something a little bigger for more practical purposes as others have mentioned.  But those tractors would make good projects if you're looking for something to work on, although I would not pay that much.  

• Like 1

B.Roid99

I may still buy the hustler, but I definitely want to get a WH as well. A few more finds around me:

-D200, No information, asking $910 (seems pretty high to me), 48" deck. 

-GT 14, seems like it has been rusting for a while, assume 48" deck, asking $350.

-520h and c125, asking $650 for both, 520 has a 60" deck, needs a fuel pump, and no information on the c125. 

Screenshot_20180208-150802.png

Screenshot_20180208-150859.png

Screenshot_20180208-150722.png

• Like 2

WHX??

Much as it pains me to say this but a z turn will out cut most horses and 7 to :chores-mowlawn: is nothing to sneeze at. Chris in FL makes a good point.  520 fuel pump is cheap enough but just from the pic doesn't look well loved but paired with a nice C-125 might be worth the time to go kick the tires on if local.  GT-14 can be a love/hate relationship as well and sometimes formidable to work on. D200 is a bucket list tractor of many of us here but again formidable to work on but is a beast. No doubt fun seat time on that. Well worth 900 if taken care of and has a decent deck. Most Ds arounfd here go for twice that.

BTW :WRS:

• Like 1

roadapples

I know not everyone thinks like me, and my better half says that's a good thing, but I can't imagine needing 7 ac's of lawn. I'd be mowing 1 or 2 and the rest would be wildlife sanctuary.. Just my :twocents-02cents:    Or maybe parking space for more :wh:' s

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H

Again buy yourself a :wh: for the pure joy of it but if really have to mow the entire 7 acres unless it's hilly ZTRs are hard to beat especially with trees/shrubs/obstacles, if it looks like my lil slice of heaven then a sub-compact tractor may better suit your needs, and it's still red, lol, last shot size comparison of it to an xi series :wh:  and an xi to a classic, just trying to help you out here, good luck, Jeff.

IMAG3175.jpg

IMAG3177.jpg

IMAG2971.jpg

IMAG2970.jpg

IMAG2990.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Still say you need a round :lol:hood or three to tool around those hills on Billy!

• Like 2

B.Roid99

What about an 854 for $150?  Not for mowing, more for pushing snow 

Screenshot_20180208-200415.png

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: I say...RUN!  :auto-layrubber:

Don't walk to pick it up.

B.Roid99

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the 854. It needs more work than the others but I love the way it looks. That rear fender isn't the original, right?

• Excellent 2

rjg854

no it's not original, should look more like my avatar

Mike'sHorseBarn
7 hours ago, B.Roid99 said:

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the 854. It needs more work than the others but I love the way it looks. That rear fender isn't the original, right?

Not original, but you will be able to find the originals from someone on here.

WHX??
8 hours ago, B.Roid99 said:

love the way it looks

All that matter! :handgestures-thumbupright:

@Lane Ranger has got a real nice 854 maybe he can share some pics?

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1