upstate yank

1973 no name wheel horse

upstate yank

well guys i have been off here for a few days as i am still trying to get the old 73 to run; i have changed coils and they both do work even the plug wire i have changed  but i still am not able to get a spark off the plug ;the condenser has been replaced to a new one attached 'what bothers me is the way the previous owner wired the positive side as most can see in the picture that the wires off the positive side of the coil are connected to the wires off the seat switch which is not right as the switch does not work ; ;so now looking at the other picture where it does show a wire coming off that one post of the solenoid it looks as a ground ;it seems i will have to start from the key switch and trace each wire but even the switch for the electric clutch has been tapped off ;i am sure it will need both safety switches for the pedal and even the pto but on this tractor either are there to even trace ;this is what some would call a plumbers nightmare  but i sure would like to hear it run than move on to the other parts it needs 'so come on guys rack your heads together and try to tell me where to go 'sure his boys drove it around but really how did they get it to start .but we all know people will tell you anything to pass something off ;sorry i have to look myself in the mirror each day and have a good night's sleep 'but still for the 100 in time it will work out 

IMG_1784.JPG

imageproxy.jpg

IMG_1783.JPG

moe1965

I'm not that good trying to figure out electrical issues but I would check the gap in the points

Edited by moe1965

953 nut

For the purpose of testing you can remove the wire to the coil"+" and replace it with a jumper to the battery "+", that should get you a spark if the points are working.

• Like 4

ol550

:text-yeahthat:  or just see if you have battery voltage to the coil + terminal when cranking.

If you have a test light you can check the point operation by the - terminal.  Light on points open light off points closed.

I like to check for a steady blinking light when cranking.  Random blink dirty or corroded contacts.

Edited by ol550
  • Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I don't know if you have a wiring diagram or not. But this diagram is of my C160 . The wires may be a different color then yours but trace a wire and it should be routed just like this.

volt meter relay.jpg

• Like 5

upstate yank

thanks everyone for the feedback and yep once it gets a little warmer outside i will run a jumper from the plus side of the coil to the battery 'the points are clean and open as they should plus the gap is correct 'and thanks for the wiring diagram that sure will help '

• Like 3