ebinmaine

GM Anti-Valve Recession Additive anyone?

ebinmaine

Been at the house and workshop cleanin' again an' I found about 45 cans of this stuff in a couple places.

I read the idea behind it is to keep older no-lead gas engines (usually pre 1971)  from hammerin' in the exhaust valve seat.

What do you folks suppose I oughtta do with it???

20180203_171756.jpg.b814f8b9756ac2078d294a8b0ed0e530.jpg

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Bring to the Big Show , BRF may want a drink. May still be good.

• Haha 5

Digger 66

Next years Christmas presents .

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

Eric, I'm sure a couple ounces with the motor oil wouldn't be a bad idea in those older K's, I've been adding this (pic) to my BU and the Onans just as a "safety net" so to speak since every year or so the EPA dictates lowering the ZDDP in modern motor oils, Jeff.

Screenshot_20180204-155510.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

DougC

Careful with that stuff. It's got lot's of lead in it........... I got rid of some similar additive you would add to the gas. You don't want to breath the exaust  fumes.

ebinmaine

Probably good for a cocktail mixer then....

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, DougC said:

Careful with that stuff. It's got lot's of lead in it........... I got rid of some similar additive you would add to the gas. You don't want to breath the exaust  fumes.

Yep but it good stuff for all those heads that don't have hardened valve seats pre 1970 definitely

DougC
1 minute ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yep but it good stuff for all those heads that don't have hardened valve seats pre 1970 definitely

Indeed. That is a good thing unless you get lead poisoning from the exaust fumes  you inhale. Then................... Well..... Just be careful gentlemen.....

• Thanks 1

Sarge

I'd bet if you take it to a local car show the GM guys would ****** it up for the older engines or as a garage decoration - some of them are like that and it's a genuine part too.

Sarge

• Like 2

ebinmaine

@Sarge.... I have quite a few old cans of various things around my shed and workshop as well.

I was thinking about maybe trying to find it on eBay and see what it's worth or something. I really don't need it and it would be kind of cool if somebody else did.

Or maybe post it in the want ads here and see if somebody would want it for their - other brands -?

18 hours ago, DougC said:

Thank you for reminding me about that.  I kind of thought this stuff was a lead  substitute.

I'll see if I can find an old MSDS sheet on it or something.

• Like 2

953 nut
On 2/4/2018 at 4:16 PM, DougC said:

I'm not too concerned about the long term affects of the lead, the Carbon Monoxide will kill you long before the lead poisoning can cause neurological changes.                        :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

Eric, here's some food for thought...

Screenshot_20180205-200846.png

Screenshot_20180205-200956.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WVHillbilly520H

Basically it said no LEAD and not any significant effects from using it, therefore if you mixed a couple ounces to a couple gallons of fuel it should not be any health concerns for yourself but benefits the engine/valvetrain of pre 70s engines, Jeff.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Basically it said no LEAD and not any significant effects from using it, therefore if you mixed a couple ounces to a couple gallons of fuel it should not be any health concerns for yourself but benefits the engine/valvetrain of pre 70s engines, Jeff.

Good read Jeff. Thanks for posing it. 

I haven't taken the time to verify this one yet but I thought it is a lead Substitute. ..not actual lead.

just so you know......Gunk makes a lead substitute , part number M5012

m5012.jpg

WVHillbilly520H
18 minutes ago, 305 said:

just so you know......Gunk makes a lead substitute , part number M5012

m5012.jpg

I believe Eric wasn't wanting any as he showed he has about 3 cases of the GM stuff but thanks.

Sarge

I know of several die-hard guys around here that refuse to rebuild period correct engines that are in otherwise perfect condition - they would probably ****** that stuff up quickly . I'd try the local GM nuts at the shows - honestly, they would be the best source of an answer if anyone would even want it or on the auction site with a search.

Sarge