Aldon

Which Tractor should I keep if I can only keep 1

Which Tractor would be your choice as a long term worker. For ease of use, ease of maintenance and flexibility.  

61 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Tractor choices - I have 2 stage blower, 48 inch deck, 60 inch deck and if I keep tractors with 3 point, then I have a GT14 style Tiller and Sickle bar(Project) ,

• 314 H with gear reduction steering. Has 520 hours on the meter.
    • GT16 (Restomod) GT14 restored with K341.
    • C160 8 speed - Restored by Jeff/Fireman 9 hours on it since restore.
    • GT22-8 Still in R&D alpha/beta state of build. 22HP predator, 8 speed, set up for independent 3 point.
    • 1956 Rj35 with Clinton - Totally restored
    • 1956 RJ35 3/4 restored,

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/2018 at 04:59 AM

My choice would be the 3/4 restored RJ. That way you have a project that can be completed while you re-organize your requirements for the new location. 

I am currently doing the same thing although my move is now only about two to three months away. Mrs. Sailor and I have been working with the seller of our future home for over a month (they are in a nasty divorce) and we are being very patient about it. A final agreement was reached over the weekend so now moving ahead with further downsizing my collection. The new property is different than my current one so requirements have changed. Going from two acres to a bit less than half an acre with no trees means saws, chipper, and splitter are definitely getting sold.  Not doing five neighbors drives and my own means little snow removal.  A 40" gate presents a problem with mower decks so that will need to be addressed with probably with a new beehind purchase, although gear driven - with an accent .  :)

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

For options at the other end in terms of storage - look into the newer generation of "shed in a box" offerings. They have gotten a lot better, especially the outer materials and off a lot of options in both size and cost. For what they run now, if you have a very limited amount of room I'd consider doing that and keep at least 2 . The biggest reason I'd almost lean to the GT14/16 model is weight and brute strength - plus, it's not hard to convert it over to use the later quick attach implements although some mods as it is not just a bolt-on affair. Frame strength and all of that comes into play and that model is a beast, probably in many ways better than the bigger D too with no drive coupling on the pump system. The C series is so attractive due to it's rugged layout and overall simplicity - they are a pleasure to work on compared to the newer offerings and would be equal in choice to the bigger GT14/16. Having two with that engine, perfect combination...as well as trans choice as a bonus.

Sarge

• Like 6

Aldon, as you spent TOP dollar on all these gems I think in the end you may have to decide what is the minimum dollar $ amt you would accept for each steed and then those go that make the cut list. While all our fellow constituents are perfect gentleman we all are also known for our tightness of those 6 inch green presidential notes.  Love ya man we will all miss you. 

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Will your new location only require mowing duty? Are there other uses not identified here?

Don't want to get off topic...but.. How does that 14 auto handle the 2 stage, and would you be better off with a tall shoot single. And if you've got room for that closed in trailer at the new place, plenty of room for two :wh:'s. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas Todd said:

Will your new location only require mowing duty? Are there other uses not identified here?

Well it’s a bit hard to say with absolute certainty as I am not only looking at a relocation which will put me somewhere I will likely have some longevity but also a potential role change or promotion which would put me in an unspecified location. And then to top it off, there is always a chance that the management does not make any of it worth the trouble and I stay put.

id say 65% Boise ID, 15% Salt Lake City or Austin tX or Portland OR and maybe 15% I stay in current location. 5% of something completely unknown. Boise & Salt Lake would be very light mowing and hauling and Austin would be similar but slightly more mowing. Boise gets very little Snow. SLC gets some but not enough to keep the 2 Stage. Portland would be heavy mowing and little snow.

As it stands, only high probability is that we are going to relocate. The Promotion could come after the relo requiring another move. As such we will need to rent until things stabilize. So storage is very likely going to have to be additional rental storage not on the rental house property. Home lots are small and rental homes that have enough space for large trailer and tractors are on the expensive side. 

A lot of variables that make it very fluid. So I have decided to take the conservative approach. I can always start the journey of rebuilding a herd once things stabilize if it makes sense or should I retire somewhere Horse friendly.

26 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Don't want to get off topic...but.. How does that 14 auto handle the 2 stage, and would you be better off with a tall shoot single. And if you've got room for that closed in trailer at the new place, plenty of room for two :wh:'s. :handgestures-thumbupright:

It does well enough but one has to be sensitive to how fast you try and make it cut through snow. Can’t just hit the forward speed at max.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you wind up in Austin, let me know. I am down that way regularly. Horses are fairly scarce down here, but not extinct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I voted for keeping the RJ-35.  I'm just a Roundhood kind of guy.  :occasion-xmas:  Beside, you can always find a "C" or a "D".  :handgestures-thumbupright:  It is actually too bad you have to let any of them go...they all look like new.  :bow-blue:

• Like 7

It's a tough call. Really depends on your needs down the road. For work, for show, or both? Only you know the answer.

Love the Predator swap. Personally that's the first one I'd unload. Ya know it won't last as long as a kohler 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forest Road said:

It's a tough call. Really depends on your needs down the road. For work, for show, or both? Only you know the answer.

Love the Predator swap. Personally that's the first one I'd unload. Ya know it won't last as long as a kohler 

But more power and easily replaceable for the cost of a Kohler Rebuild. Perhaps less.

• Like 1

I'm an hour from Austin and go there almost weekly for work. If you end moving this direction let me know if I can help you with anything. I could store a few horses in a barn at the farm if it would help

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

If you end moving this direction let me know if I can help you with anything. I could store a few horses in a barn at the farm if it would help

A TX solution?

• Like 1

I have both the C160 hydro and a 314-8 and both are very nice condition.  But I use the C160 over the 314-8. I just like it better then all my tractors. It's easier to repair and drive . But I'm glade I don't have to make your choice of just 1 because I would have to keep 2.

• Like 5

I'm not touching this question!  

But I considered myself a regular and I didn't know about your relocation!  Further north? <grin>  We could ride together to shows! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I'm an hour from Austin and go there almost weekly for work. If you end moving this direction let me know if I can help you with anything. I could store a few horses in a barn at the farm if it would help

That's what I was thinking wherever you go there are a lot of members all over the US who would be willing to store some horses until you find out exactly what you're doing and where you're going to end up. Might be a good idea to store some near your home now if you can find anyone close enough until you find a more permanent place and if you do decide to sell any you would have more time.

10 hours ago, Aldon said:

15% I stay in current location.

If you do end up staying at home you can always bring them back if you store them nearby :D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

9 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I voted for keeping the RJ-35.  I'm just a Roundhood kind of guy.  :occasion-xmas:  Beside, you can always find a "C" or a "D".  :handgestures-thumbupright:  It is actually too bad you have to let any of them go...they all look like new.  :bow-blue:

I'm with Steve on this one.  My way of looking at it is I love the early round hoods - on my wish list - and the RJ-35 has the rarety factor.

• Like 2

Several suggested let the market place choose.

As such, I will be posting the classified ad in next few days.

• Sad 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, cafoose said:

Might be a good idea to store some near your home now if you can find anyone close enough until you find a more permanent place

I think we are close enough you could store that GT-22 at my house. Seriously I will need to remove myself from this topic as the keys are getting wet looking at that GT 22:angry-chillpill::angry-chillpill::angry-chillpill::angry-chillpill:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

I agree with the statement to store and see where you end up then sell, if wheel horses are rare where you end up might be able to get a better price

eric j

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Amen to store, store, store........even prior to moving. Can always discard later with forum member's cooperation.

:text-yeahthat:

Let go what isn't relevant, really important, or to which you have no long term emotional attachment.

Liquidate what you must, then squirrel the rest away at your comrade's abodes.

Then take with you what will suffice...........wherever you go, when you move.

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 3

I agree - you have a fluid situation and those models are too tough to source again in decent condition. Yes, they would all bring very good money but consider how their value will probably climb as they age further - storing them is a great idea if you can pull it off and looks like others that care about them are willing - that's most of the battle. Honestly, you'd have to pry those out of my dead, cold fingers...

Sarge

• Like 3

Well we shall see how things go. No solid choices but that should not be surprising since my situation is so fluid.

I have posted in the Classifieds and similarly on CL in my local area of Corinth/Saratoga/Glens Falls NY.

• Sad 3

Aldon,

It appears, on the surface to me, you are letting the marketplace determine what, if anything, you are left with.

i.e., you aren't necessarily resolved to absolutely take anything with you, no matter where you wind up.

Am I "ciphering" correctly, Dr. Trimble???

As long as the market is not too cheap:-)

• Like 1