Aldon

Which Tractor should I keep if I can only keep 1

Which Tractor would be your choice as a long term worker. For ease of use, ease of maintenance and flexibility.  

61 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Tractor choices - I have 2 stage blower, 48 inch deck, 60 inch deck and if I keep tractors with 3 point, then I have a GT14 style Tiller and Sickle bar(Project) ,

• 314 H with gear reduction steering. Has 520 hours on the meter.
    • GT16 (Restomod) GT14 restored with K341.
    • C160 8 speed - Restored by Jeff/Fireman 9 hours on it since restore.
    • GT22-8 Still in R&D alpha/beta state of build. 22HP predator, 8 speed, set up for independent 3 point.
    • 1956 Rj35 with Clinton - Totally restored
    • 1956 RJ35 3/4 restored,

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/2018 at 04:59 AM

WVHillbilly520H

Aldon, I believe the 314 would serve you well where ever you wind up with more support for parts if ever needed, to me it seems the most universal for attachments/implements as well, not saying the C-160-8 wouldn't be a close 2cd as the others and the C are more show rigs in my eyes, Jeff.

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

My Friend ericj in York Pa Would agree on the 314 decision to & i also, That's a do it all set of American steel ! Tho id take the C along for back-up

• Like 4

Sarge

It's a tough decision and a shame you have to down-size - I'd have a very hard time doing that myself despite being quite limited on storage space.

I'd put a few things in consideration - newer, better designed engines with pressure lube versus splash lube. Parts availability (although we have such a network of parts available) and the most versatile model capable of whatever task is needed. With those in mind it's pretty tough with those models, but I'd keep that GT14 the most just due to being so rugged and heavy. A re-power later , if needed is not to hard and diesel options are something to consider despite the cost. Taken care of, it should outlive you easily and is capable of some very heavy work without a sweat. That said, the C-160 is so hard to beat for versatility and rugged simplicity, no wonder they are highly sought in both manual and hyrdo versions.

Good luck, I'd have a tough time parting with any of them.

Sarge

• Like 4

Tankman
19 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Good luck, I'd have a tough time parting with any of them.

Sarge

:text-yeahthat: Agree 100% with Sarge. Think I would shed a few tears parting with any of your wonderfully kept Stallions.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would keep the C-160-8 , if you sell the others to Forum members I am sure they would let you visit the tractors when you come back East for a visit.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

leeave96

IMHO, you should keep two tractors.  The hydro 314 and the C160 8 speed.  This gives you redundancy, commonality between implements and you’ve got both hydro and gear drive flavors covered.  IMHO, the perfect 2 tractor plan for the user and/or collector with limited space.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, leeave96 said:

IMHO, you should keep two tractors.  The hydro 314 and the C160 8 speed.  This gives you redundancy, commonality between implements and you’ve got both hydro and gear drive flavors covered.  IMHO, the perfect 2 tractor plan for the user and/or collector with limited space.

^^^^^

Got a point or two worth thought there.

I'd go with the C160 but I was torn between that and the 314H.

• Like 3

wallfish

Voted C-160 but that G-16 looks tastey too. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

pfrederi
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

^^^^^

Got a point or two worth thought there.

I'd go with the C160 but I was torn between that and the 314H.

Redundancy is nice and you don't have to switch implements as often.  The tiller is a nice tool but how often do you use it (and the tines look a bit worn).  The GT 14 is a beast ...but an older beast and is less flexible in terms of implements....

One last thought.  as you age getting on and off the tractors gets less easy... Which one is easier for you.  One reason I love my Lawn ranger as a chore tractor easy on easy off...

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Aldon, best of luck in deciding. I am evebtually moving only 4 miles. But to a way way smaller property. Frankly, I miss some of the machines I got rid of. They were hard to find and a few unique. I had 8 tractors, now down to 3. Right after the winter the 416-8 sadly will go. And just when I had it done, complete. It just sux sometimes. BUT, what the future holds is known to no one. Best of luck. My 854 with decks and blade is my keeper, AND MAYBE the C-175.   Decisions decisions.

Glenn

• Like 3

Racinbob

If you are determined to scale back to just one I'm with the C-160 all the way. The nearly bullet proof K-series and I feel the mid 70's were the very best years for Wheel Horse. :)

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

Well...........gee...........what does a guy really say???, especially with all the toil and hard work you have been through with most of these tractors.
I'd say it almost equates to having 6 children and having to decide which five to leave behind with family members because you realistically know you can't feed all six where you are going......and on top of that, knowing you may never see them again.
That's a somewhat bogus analogy though because tractors are merely machines that work and do specific chores for us. They aren't our flesh and blood. They don't need to be fed and clothed and loved like we care for a child or children.
Nevertheless, there always is somewhat of an emotional attachment to these mechanical creatures. I think the more of them one acquires, the more deeply rooted that attachment becomes, logical or not.

I'm fortunate in that way in that all I've ever had is one tractor........the first year model 1-7441 GT 14. So, from that perspective, if I were you, I would naturally be partial to retaining your superb GT 16 Restomod..........which I believe was your first major Wheel Horse project. If I were you, I believe it would be hardest for me to part with this tractor. You probably have more mechanical experience with the GT model than any other. Of course, knowing your intellect and observational skills, you could easily become an expert with any of these other models of Wheel Horses as you are with the GT 14 beasts. So, perhaps that argument is negated.
By the same token its hard to argue with the other contributor's choices of either the 314 or the C160............or the the argument for retaining two with interchangeable implements.
I suggest you begin by choosing to sell the models with the least emotional attachment and the least utility based on where you end up moving......i.e where you might go could dictate what your needs will be. Your needs in Idaho, would likely be drastically different than say North Carolina, Indiana, Missouri, or New Mexico/Arizona.
Then finally.... the incomparable, remarkable, and as yet unfinished GT22-8. I'm left speechless when I think of you parting with that brilliant creation.

Life is full of choices, and as we age our goals and needs also change, especially if our working careers involved fairly frequent, not necessarily desired moves.
Start with the least important emotionally to you and evaluate each as to utility based on what you know at this point in time.
I have the impression you don't have to clean house tomorrow and wash your hands of it all by next weekend, so be cautious, take your time, and make a decision based your best evaluation of what your needs will be based on the location to which you will be sent.
Remember..... with the herd your have and the familiarity everyone here has with you, your word, and your tractor work, you shouldn't have a difficult time selling whatever you finally decide to part with.
It should almost be like selling Girl Scout cookies to all the neighbors..........

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

RandyLittrell

That C-160 will still be chugging 50 years from now. It has classic good looks, with a bulletproof motor and trans. The 314H is a close second though. 

Randy

• Like 4

Shynon

C 160 would be my choice

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pollack Pete

I vote for the C160 with the 314 a close second.As others have said...........keep those 2 horses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

roadapples

Personally, I'd like to get down to four. The three 160's and the 520 for the 2-stage....:ychain:

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

For me, as far as ease of use, maintenance, and repair, while still being a great worker, the choice is simple go with the C-160. The 314H is close second though, as I have always preferred the Hydro for mowing. I suppose it all depends on what your needs in a tractor will be at your new location. If its going to be mostly mowing and maybe pushing some snow, then I would probably keep the 314H, but if anticipating any ground engaging work, then I would go with the C-160, that big 16HP Kohler paired with the 8-speed transmission is hard to beat. 

They are all very nice looking tractors, wish you the best of luck in choosing just one, out of that lineup I think I would have a terrible time picking just one to keep. 

• Like 2

jellyghost

Wow.

I voted for the C-160 too.

When are you going to start listing tractors? I don't have the cash in pocket, but that is some motivation to start saving!

Aldon

Poll is running currently 51% for C160, 23% for 314H, and 14% for GT14/16 resto.

I was hoping to make a decision before next weekend and start listing it all Saturday.

I was leaning towards selling as a package but not sure many have that kind of slush fund sitting idle for a hobby. 

Decisions..decisions......

Like a few have mentioned, it would be a lot easier to reduce to 2-3 rather than 1. 

Storage at the other end of my relocation ihas the most impact and is driving the decision. I need to further research options which might delay my decision a few more days. 

I can say with confidence that the RJ35’s will have to find new homes at this point. 

• Like 4

19richie66

I voted gt16 due to the fact that I love that tractor and how much work you have in it. You know the hydro is good as is the engine but afterwards I thought about it. My choice would be the C-160 and the 314. When it comes down to overall usability, those two would be it. Hate to see any of them go but sometimes you just have to do what tou have to do.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Aldon, we all will have to make this decision (or our heirs) sooner or later but hate to see it happen. I would keep the GT-16 because it has your fingerprints on every part. You showed it a lot of love and did a wonderful job on the build. 

• Like 3

whtractors24

314 as many  parts are available and has electronic ignition . Easy steering for the 2 stage for you as well.

• Like 2

ztnoo
8 hours ago, Aldon said:

I was leaning towards selling as a package but not sure many have that kind of slush fund sitting idle for a hobby.

I'd say that's a reasonable assumption and approach.

Someone might lust over one of the RJs for example, and have absolutely zero interest for instance in the GT22-8, or anything else for that matter.

That could be deal breaker for sure.

I think you could maximize your return by selling each of the culls individually.

Of course, it would require more time and communication on your part with prospective buyers, but I believe it would allow you to find the highest bidder and get the biggest dollars for your equipment.

Individual selling of tractors would likely foster more competition for any particular model.....i.e increases your likelihood of a interested potential buyer(s) with cash in hand at a maximized price.

I think the numbers of individuals interested in a one time, buy-it-all-at-once deal would be dramatically lower due to the sheer money involved.

Just my twocents.gif.ae088fe4ddb43f388481ea6c953ac33d.gif

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 3