SteveK440

Need Opinion(s) on tire size for a 416-8

SteveK440

I have this longing desire to partly mod my 416-8 which includes adding bigger, wider tires. I have spent two frustrated weeks googling images which some were directed to Red Square with deleted photo bucket images, sorry no flame intended. Anyway, has anyone installed larger tires on a 416-8 or a 520 with no issues and what size did you use?

I understand some issues are tire clearance of mower deck depending on size but which size? Another issue I can picture is the tire scuff on the back portion of the floorboards. One other question I have is will a 416-8 trans rear handle larger wider tires without damage? Pictures with side and rear view of your rig would be greatly appreciated.

roadapples

I think 24, 12-12's will fit without any changes. But you'll need wider wheels with no more than 1 1/2" backset or spacers. Rear should handle them fine.... Someone will be along with pictures...

953 nut
6 hours ago, SteveK440 said:

tire scuff on the back portion of the floorboards. One other question I have is will a 416-8 trans rear handle larger wider tires without damage?

:WRS:          Lots of people who build "Pullers" use larger tires and don't have problems with the rear ends. Yhe fender pan could be spaced up a little higher and the running boards could be moved forward if needed.

Take a look at this section for some inspiration.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/48-pullers/

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Tankman

I have, and still do, use 23x10.5x12's. Never had any problem.

You did say, "wider".

http://www.millertire.com/categories/lawn-garden-tires/23x10-50-12/

Another change, for me always, lug nuts. Shown below on my '90 520-8. Also on my 416-8.

Lug_Nuts_Install.thumb.JPG.874f6eb6b0f1543577ec20a90e0b8b6b.JPGHorse_416.thumb.jpg.22998bffd1abbbb72ece2e9b053bfbdb.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

littleredrider

I put Firestone 23x10.5s on my 520, and IMO aren't wide. Rims are 8.5" wide, and when looking down the side, the tread is the same width as the rim. I dunno how/why people run these on 10" rims. I put a set of ATV tires on the 518, 8.5" rims, tires are 25x12x12 Super swamper vampires. They fit under the seat pan and foot board, but is close. I had to move the hubs out cause the side lugs stick waaaaaaaayyyyyyy out, and hit the brake band. I've been trying to snap a pic, but time and weather won't let me. I want to try the 24x12x12s...

• Like 2

fast88pu

Space fenders up 1.5" and run 26x12x12. And a photo of the spacers

IMG_20170930_142550.jpg

IMG_20170818_173438.jpg

IMG_20170818_170024.jpg

IMG_20170415_154451.jpg

IMG_20170415_152907.jpg

IMG_20170415_112727.jpg

IMG_20170114_142234.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

I would think you also need to account / adjust for the change in angle of the deck for mowing, unless front tires are equally (relative) larger too...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Being in North Carolina i doubt it is a concern for you,but keep in mind if you want to use chains you will be limited on width. probably 10.50s

• Like 2

fast88pu

Use spindles from a 310 with 6" front wheels. But put the 8" combo on

IMG_20170423_110303.jpg

• Like 3

SteveK440
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:          The fender pan could be spaced up a little higher and the running boards could be moved forward if needed.

Good Idea on the floorboards! Have an issue in my mind and went to Parts tree website to confirm the two issues which are re-drilling floor support brackets and notching the drive belt cover and the cover on the other side. The seat pan would seem to be needed to move forward as well as raised but this is not an issue for my mods.

So let me pick your brain on another Idea. What is the possibility of moving the Mower deck forward  with some make shift brackets and smaller belt if my back tires are too close?

fast88pu

As long as no ice chains are not needed with loaded tires. 

IMG_20171224_092036.jpg

2 minutes ago, SteveK440 said:

Good Idea on the floorboards! Have an issue in my mind and went to Parts tree website to confirm the two issues which are re-drilling floor support brackets and notching the drive belt cover and the cover on the other side. The seat pan would seem to be needed to move forward as well as raised but this is not an issue for my mods.

So let me pick your brain on another Idea. What is the possibility of moving the Mower deck forward  with some make shift brackets and smaller belt if my back tires are too close?

26x12x12 on 7" rims clear the 48"sd deck. But not a 42" sd or rd

WVHillbilly520H

Here's 23x10.50-12 of various manufacturers on 520's (8.50" wheels)...brand , style (turf AG all trail), variations galore it's hard to say that 23x10.50 or 24x12  is all same size just by what's on the sidewall, turf tires seem to be the truest to size while AG are all over the size map just my personal experiences, Jeff.

IMAG3922.jpg

IMAG3952.jpg

IMAG3930.jpg

IMAG3932.jpg

IMAG3113.jpg

IMAG2995.jpg

IMAG3094.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.6e9559e973513071f3a95355ea3b6d51.jpeg

IMAG4023.jpg

IMAG4015.jpg

IMAG4016.jpg

IMAG4014.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

I wish brands ran more true to size - especially in the ag patterns. I hate how my D sits butt-low now due to the tires being quite a lot shorter than the advertised height versus the Carlisle front ags - it's no a gasser from the 60's..lol. I prefer it level, or just slightly higher in the rear but not totally to the "jackrabbit" look. Do your research when you pick a size and the actual listed height as installed - some brands it's hard to find the specs on them but just be aware of it and their return policies. Mine were American Farmer, bought locally but once mounted you own them, period. Keep in mind too , running a wider tire can put more stress on the rear axle depending upon how you use it , so keep that in mind and don't abuse your new-found traction. Hubs, keyways and bearings all come into play. Front tire height can be the biggest problem in clearing implements and steering parts, so watch out for that if you want to keep it level. Most will handle a slightly taller front tire but rarely much wider than stock without causing other issues as well as accelerated steering parts wear - it all adds up.

I do prefer a more "fat" look, but sometimes the old tried and true skinny and tall works wonders. It's by far the best option for my old Land Cruiser - it's a tank that doesn't stop.

Sarge

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WVHillbilly520H Looks like a used tire store. :ROTF:

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@WVHillbilly520H Looks like a used tire store. :ROTF:

Yep, can't seem to let 'em go, might need a spare :think:...

• Haha 1

SteveK440
8 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Here's 23x10.50-12 of various manufacturers on 520's (8.50" wheels)...brand , style (turf AG all trail), variations galore it's hard to say that 23x10.50 or 24x12  is all same size just by what's on the sidewall, turf tires seem to be the truest to size while AG are all over the size map just my personal experiences, Jeff.

IMAG3922.jpg

IMAG3952.jpg

IMAG3930.jpg

IMAG3932.jpg

IMAG3113.jpg

IMAG2995.jpg

IMAG3094.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.6e9559e973513071f3a95355ea3b6d51.jpeg

IMAG4023.jpg

IMAG4015.jpg

IMAG4016.jpg

IMAG4014.jpg

Jeff I like the eighth photo down with the rear shot of the tires and mower deck. What is the setup of name brand tire, plus the size and size of rim and what size mower deck?

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, SteveK440 said:

Jeff I like the eighth photo down with the rear shot of the tires and mower deck. What is the setup of name brand tire, plus the size and size of rim and what size mower deck?

520H 48" deck with Carlisle Tru-power 23x10.50-12 on the 8.5" wheel, not my tractor was another RS member on here a few years back, the 3rd pic down is mine with OTR Lawn Trac R1 same size tire/wheel on my 520H, check out my "new shoes" thread as they also come in 24x12-12, Jeff.

Red144runner

Here's my 3/12 on 23x10.50 ags on 8.50 wheels. They are more round than the Carlisle ags. Great traction in the dirt and snow. Haven't needed chains yet. But it's loaded pretty heavy

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

• Like 2

SteveK440

Not to come off sarcastic but thank you for photo bombing my topic and helpful advice on selecting tires. You guys have gave me a rough draft Idea on one page of what clearances I need to pay attention. My only question I can't picture is fast88pu. Does his tractor have 12" wide tires on a 8" wide wheel?

littleredrider

Dunno what pic ur talking about, but if its the last one, it looks like 8.5" wheels. I haven't seen a tire yet that measures what the sidewall says. Tractor, ATV, car or truck. I will get pics of the tires on the g/f's 518, they are a big tire, and tho sidewall says 12" wide, they aren't. 

fast88pu
1 hour ago, SteveK440 said:

Not to come off sarcastic but thank you for photo bombing my topic and helpful advice on selecting tires. You guys have gave me a rough draft Idea on one page of what clearances I need to pay attention. My only question I can't picture is fast88pu. Does his tractor have 12" wide tires on a 8" wide wheel?

The one with the deck has 12x7 rims to clear deck wheels. The other has 12x10.5 on the puller. And the duals are 12x8 520 rims

• Like 1

littleredrider

F2C8B217-DAE0-4088-9C07-E75CDBADB365.jpeg

7379C0A2-E0E5-4ADC-B71C-2FA9CB2FC4A3.jpeg

4DEF4116-3018-4724-ADC4-C279F94B0AE3.jpeg

The tires on the 518 dig like crazy!! The lugs are 1 1/2” I think, and will dig till get hi centered. Drove thru yard with 6-7” or more of heavy wet snow, pushed it quite easily, but doesn’t wanna steer hardly at all. But they fit under the seat pan, and just had to move hubs out to clear brake band. Only cost $30 a piece. 

• Like 2

SteveK440
1 hour ago, littleredrider said:

F2C8B217-DAE0-4088-9C07-E75CDBADB365.jpeg

7379C0A2-E0E5-4ADC-B71C-2FA9CB2FC4A3.jpeg

4DEF4116-3018-4724-ADC4-C279F94B0AE3.jpeg

The tires on the 518 dig like crazy!! The lugs are 1 1/2” I think, and will dig till get hi centered. Drove thru yard with 6-7” or more of heavy wet snow, pushed it quite easily, but doesn’t wanna steer hardly at all. But they fit under the seat pan, and just had to move hubs out to clear brake band. Only cost $30 a piece. 

$30 a tire!? What brand and are they and are they a soft compound?They do look like swampland tires. You claim though they make hard to steer, would adding weight to the front help? I like the seat on your gfs tractor, thinking of adding one similar but retro my pan seat and moving the seat mount back two inches

littleredrider

They are Super Swamper Vampires. Same super swamper that makes truck tires. They are a soft compound, so need to keep road riding to a minimum lol. It has the turfs on the front, and weight would prolly help tremendously. Not sure what tires gonna put on it, maybe tri ribs, since this doesn't have steering assist. I'd like to put a loader on it, so the ribs would help.....seat is off a fork lift...