BOB ELLISON

LAWN RANGER SEAT

BOB ELLISON

Ok I've finished my 3rd seat and I think this one will go on my lawn ranger. I'm still trying to find the off white 1in heat  pleated but I don't think it's going to happen. I might order the 1.5in heat pleated and do a back to see what it looks like. I just hate to order $30.00 worth of material and not be able to use it. I'm rich not stupid. I am improving with each one I make.  Next week I'm going to make some 1054 seats. The one I made for mine was more guess work so I'll redo my masters to get it fine tuned. And again it's to white I like the off white much better.

20180209_140456.jpg

20180209_140507.jpg

20180209_140543.jpg

20180209_140529.jpg

20180209_140958.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON
double post
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@BOB ELLISON You do some great work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

Real real nice.  That's a great :wh: seat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

I agree - the common white vinyl that is available is far too bright. I have considered using an off-white vinyl dye - the stuff from VHT works excellent and I've even used it to re-color and restore steering wheels, the stuff will NOT come off, ever. One small spot on my hand took half a year to go away, despite industrial hand cleaners , brake cleaner and even gasoline - was tempted to head for that old can of carb dip but it was dried up, lol. The white they have is a satin finish, maybe it would tone down that bright white color - not sure. There are body shop supplies that carry commercial vinyl and cloth dyes - but the stuff is expensive and super toxic - it would have to be done outside in open air or require a full body suit/supplied air system. Those dyes are available in every color you can think of but it's cost is nuts, one gallon of the darker burgundy for Dad's '78 New Yorker and it's velour interior was almost $200, that was back in the early 90's. Stuff nearly killed my dumb butt doing the seats in his garage and you had to use a brush to work it into the nap - won't ever take on that job again, lol. They did look new when dried, which was far better than the faded to orange color from the sun over the years.

Sarge

BOB ELLISON

Ok just an update .

I did order a 1 inch heat pleated vinyl to see if it was close to the old original material. The down side is he only has 6 yards left of the 1 inch. And I also will get some samples of 1.5 inch heat pleated vinyl in different colors of white to see if they looks ok. 

As I mentioned earlier. My left foot has torned tendons and just getting back from my Dr . 6 more weeks of rest and crutches and wife waiting on me. This  may sound good to some with the wife waiting on me hand and foot but I'm not liking it any more. I'm a get up and do something kind of guy. My wife said I better buy a lot of fabric so I can do a lot of sitting and sewing.

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Better listen to the Mrs...

and get started on my seat cover.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat:... :text-+1: !!! 

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

wife said I better buy a lot of fabric so I can do a lot of sitting and sewing.

Think you wife wants you to start a little home based business?         :ychain:

5a8361a546faf_bobsupolstery.jpg.31b1c592cb14c11c30ae109b1348821f.jpg

• Haha 4

BOB ELLISON

@953 nut

Richard I love it. But that just shows that I'm a quick learner.  My wife says I'm very good.

• Excellent 2

BOB ELLISON

@953 nut your going to have to change my sign to 24 days of experience. 

I'm trying some new designs for the seats. This one only took me 8 hours to cut and figure out how to sew it. I don't know if i want to make it again. If I sold it I'd have to ask $25000.00 for it. I like to sew these seats. This is just the seat and I have to add side panels and back yet. Came out very cool.

20180216_180242.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

Bob :  I added this thread I  started several years ago on making the 1054 seat componets before placing a new seat cover on it.     953/1054 owners can use thsi to create a new seat.

BOB ELLISON
5 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Bob :  I added this thread I  started several years ago on making the 1054 seat componets before placing a new seat cover on it.     953/1054 owners can use thsi to create a new seat.

Thank you Lane I've read that post 3 times and I bookmarked it so I can go back to it. I have only made the one 1054 seat so far. I make master template of the material so I can cut each panel for sewing. I didn't do that for the 1054 so now I've got to make new ones for it. I'm going to try to make other seat covers for different ones.

I wish I had the seat for the c160. it's a 2 piece I didn't get that one on either of my C160's. I'm going to try to get the seat pan for it and some pictures to reproduce that one. I also want to thank you for selling me the lifting handle for my lawn ranger. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

I have a '74 C-160 with an armrest - equipped original seat, not sure how the bottom pad comes off but I could ship it to you . Maybe trade for a new cover/foam or something ? Both of my arm rests are pretty bad, but the material is there to make patterns. I just haven't done them as I hate working with piping and really don't have the time right now. I'd have to get a decent day to go out and get it off - it's in the storage unit with a bad rod knock right now. The 16 Auto was a butchered mess when I got it here, the stock seat was already gone on that one and I'm no fan of the one I replaced it with from TSC either.

Considering your skill set - I'd bet you could sell more covers and replacement bottom/rear pads faster than you could make them easily. Getting started is always the tough part, though as well as the expense in buying initial materials.

Sarge

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

Another update on the seats I finely got the 1inch pleated seat fabric still a little to white but that's the best I can get

in the white. but there are other

Here are some pictures of my 5th seat and I think I got the measurement's very good.

So I mounted it on my frame from my Lawn Ranger.I didn't glue the foam to the seat so it pops up

a little. When I push it down it looks good.

What do you guys think . ill try to make a bunch and sell them at the Big Show. And I may sell

some here after I get more fabric.  I like to make the different colors and get away from the drab whites.

So I need some input on what color combination's do you guys like to see on your horse.  

I really like the red seat and black sides but ill try some suggestion's if there not to far out in space.

I can make to order if you like. just be easy on a old guy.

I still haven't figured out a price for all the material and labor .

Bottom pictures are of the samples for more pleated fabric but its not a 1inch pleat.

Some are 1.5inch and the 1 piece is 1 3/8 inch pleat The Artic white I think would be better.

But that's just me.

ill start on the 1054 seats next month . The lawn ranger and the 1054/953 seats are all I can do now

until I get a seat to copy. 

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5644.JPG

IMG_5645.JPG

IMG_5646.JPG

IMG_5649.JPG

20180222_172510.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            You done GOOOOOOOD!        :bow-blue:            I love the black and white with the 1" pleats. That would look good on my 1055, put me down for one.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
58 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:            You done GOOOOOOOD!        :bow-blue:            I love the black and white with the 1" pleats. That would look good on my 1055, put me down for one.

Richard I don't know what a 1055 seat  looks like is it like the lawn ranger ? Bigger or smaller I don't think you have anything to compare it to.if it's  the same as the lawn ranger  you got it. I'll make you one this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

1055 seat  looks like is it like the lawn ranger ?

5a8f7f7ddbb09_bobsupolstery.jpg.9e44903871ab496192815d99e21d1284.jpg

1055 seat looks just like the one on your Ranger. I will check the dimensions tomarow and let you know. Here is my poor old seat cover, this may even inspire me to show it some love with a spray gun too.

5a8f7ef16c934_2hitchweightbox003.JPG.58cc0b6c2f59c44df36f3db26c00b0a8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
15 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

check the dimensions tomarow

I just checked the Manuals for the '67 Lawn Ranger and the 1055 and the seat cushions both had part # 5556 so we are good to go!    :woohoo:

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON
31 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I just checked the Manuals for the '67 Lawn Ranger and the 1055 and the seat cushions both had part # 5556 so we are good to go!    :woohoo:

Your really good making those signs.

Now I know these seats are also for 1055's. I'll pm you

Sarge

From the '67 brochure I have, those center sections were a really dramatic white so I don't think it's far off the original color. With age and no examples that were intentionally preserved we have to use what we can to duplicate parts and I'd say it's more than good enough, great job. Even the pleats, now that it's done look fine and I'd suspect with some butt time the puffy nature of it might disappear somewhat, that would make it even closer to the original pattern. Just go with it and be prepared for a lot of orders, that era of large/mid/short frame tractors is really popular and a lot of them get restored/rescued.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ACman

Those are :wicked: Bob....awesome job :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

dells68

Got a good seat pan, just needing a cover.  PM me and let me know how much you'd need for a black and white cover.  Awesome talent you have there my friend!

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

Ok I've decided to make the Lawn ranger seat and offer them to the ones that want them. but I'm still trying to

get some info for the foam padding which will take me about a week to get.

. What do you think and want in the line of foam . I might offer only 2 different foams

I have 3 options and one is Bonded foam and the other 2 are not as dense but just as nice on the BUTT.

The Bonded is twice as much so it would be more expensive to use  then the other 2 foams below and thus a little more in price.

But it is a option.

These are top of the line foams and not the cheap stuff that you buy at Joann fabrics or wally world .

I will offer 2 options for the seats,

One  with and one without the foam.

if you prefer to supply your own foam or you'll have to reuse the old seat foam.

This will make it a little cheaper price for just the cover.

I don't know if I should post in the vender section or not.

End of Next week I will start taking orders and post the prices then.

I've already purchased a lot of material to start about $400.00 in fabric.

I will also offer custom made covers in different color combinations like the red and black or your ideas

I will try but at a added quote.  

rebond_foam_540x404.jpg

max1_540x404.jpg

Xfoam1_540x404.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

The Bonded is twice as much so it would be more expensive to use  then the other 2 foams below and thus a little more in price.

But it is a option.

:woohoo:   Bob, like you said, any of them will be better than what most of us have available. I think the bonded would be worth the extra cost because it will hold up better from what I have found on the internet,

• Like 3

dells68

Awesome!!!  Great to see you putting your talent to work.  There sure is a market for this type of cover!

• Like 2