Steelspinner76

First wheelhorse project

Digger 66

Welcome 

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to Redsqure. 

That tractor is from 1966 and like all things that work it gets old and wares out. But there's hope for it with a lot of work. It can shine as new.

Here's a early post to read about another 606 story.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

rjg854

:WRS:

953 nut

:WRS:            That is a fine looking first :wh:, the patina on it looks excellent!             :text-coolphotos:

This manual should come in handy.

• Like 1

moe1965

If this is your first it will not be your last.  Bought my first one 2 years ago and I'm on to restoration number three.  Restorations are fun projects take lots of pictures. Welcome.  

• Like 1

Shynon

That's a nice looking original, get her running and oil her up, only original once.  :text-welcomeconfetti:

Steelspinner76

thanks for the welcomes and information everyone.  I have been wrenching on old iron a long time but this is the first wheel horse. small engines is my day job so maybe i can help some other folks on here with technical questions. Tore the carb down last night and ultrasonic cleaned it and put a kit in it. Wasn't too bad inside bit of varnish and green but no white crusty stuff.  might try to get out today and reinstall the carb.

• Like 3

wallfish

:WRS:

That's a nice find. Not too many of those around as most people must've opted for the electric start 656 when they were buying them new. It's always good to have more small engine guys onboard here! Poke around through the threads and offer any advice or opinions you have.

• Like 2

Steelspinner76

Update Got the carb back on checked the oil changed the plug and the old girl started on a couple pulls. got a good engine now on to more

tires are shot have 2 deerstones coming for the front tires. Friend might have some good rear tires that will fit. trans seems ok but back tires are so cracked I'm afraid to put weight on em

Edited by Steelspinner76
  • Like 2

Joshn569

Put a few pounds of air in them and see if they will hold it long enough to take a spin down the driveway and check all the gears.

Cool tractor!

Steelspinner76

having a big internal debate on weather to do a full restore with paint and all or try to keep the old original look. There are some spots that will need attention eithier way.  And childhood memories of shiny red

wheelhorse tractors in the local store are what make me want to put it back that way.  once i can clean it off with the pressure washer i will make a decision i guess. if i do i am going to see if my main source for

powdercoat colors has a good match for the original wheel horse wheel color.

Edited by Steelspinner76

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS: you have scored a very nice first Wheel Horse, the original patina on that tractor is amazing. Like others have said, its only original once, however there is also something about a nice shiny restored tractor that always catches my eye as well. Good luck with your project, no matter what route you decide to go with it. Whatever you decide to do, be sure and take plenty of :text-coolphotos:, as we all love pictures around here. I too am currently working on my first restoration of a C-141, they can test your patience at times, but are ultimately a very enjoyable and rewarding experience.

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, Steelspinner76 said:

internal debate on weather to do a full restore with paint and all or try to keep the old original look.

Pick up a big can of WD-40 and a bag of OOOO Steel Wool and shine up the existing paint, see what emerges. It will only cost a couple bucks and should reveal a fantastic patina look.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Just chiming in to say :text-welcomeconfetti:

And I'll be following along on this project. :popcorn:

AMC RULES

I vote for just cleaning it up, & repainting the wheels. 

It's only an original  :wh: once in it's life.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Steelspinner76

well i very carefully took it up and down the drive seems to have all 3 gears and reverse no crazy noises from the trans but it needs a new dust boot that i have on the way. I think i will clean it and see how it looks. freed up the choke and throttle. cold as it is here she fired on the second pull after sitting.  can't ask for better than that. now where can i find a wheelhorse keychain for the ignition key.

Edited by Steelspinner76
  • Like 1

953 nut
18 minutes ago, Steelspinner76 said:

where can i find a wheelhorse keychain for the ignition key.

:woohoo:           Pick your color!                           Glad to hear things are coning along well.  

IMG_0175_zpswdrgqcni.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Steelspinner76 said:

cold as it is here she fired on the second pull after sitting.  can't ask for better than that......

My father had never been around Wheelhorse until he had to bring my "new-ish" C up to me a month ago.

He was nearly speechless  (almost impossible) about a tractor that starts at O degrees with almost NO choke.

Keep up the good work!