Ed Kennell

More Bad News

Ed Kennell

It has been a sad week for RS members with loss of Erics Dad and Casses Mom.

Last Wed., I also received some bad news.  My son Mike called and informed us  his best friend Dave Henry  had just suffered a fatal heart attack while on vacation in Jamaica.

This young man (48 years old) graduated with  Mike and spent many weekends at our home.  Mike had built a half pipe skateboard ramp and had a regulation volleyball court in our back yard.

The yard was always  filled with 10-12 kids.  After high school, Mike, Dave, Hardy Hill and Caroline formed a band called Nectar and had some success playing the East coast and opening for another local band that gained international fame.  That band is  the York band LIVE.     A few years later, Mike married Daves sister and started working for Daves Family plumbing business..Wilbur Henry Plumbing.

Needless to say, it has been a terrible week.  It took a week to get the body back to the US.  So now the final arrangements can be made. 

I am not looking for sympathy by telling this story,     But what you all can do for me is....get  regular health  check ups and hug your loved ones every day.

Dave Henry (1969-2018)                                                   Caroline                                       Hardy Hill                                 Mike Kennell

5a73863a5ce2a_IMG_0042(5).JPG.a5cfe484cf4124aeccad080cebe4328c.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 5
  • Sad 15

elcamino/wheelhorse

I know your family is very upset. I sorry for your family's loss of a member of your extended family.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Our prayers will be with all the familys . Nice write up Ed and thank you for reminding all of us about the importance of not taking our health, family and friends for granted.

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I am not looking for sympathy by telling this story,     But what you all can do for me is....get  regular health  check ups and hug your loved ones every day.

Dave                                                     Caroline                                       Hardy                                            Mike

5a73863a5ce2a_IMG_0042(5).JPG.a5cfe484cf4124aeccad080cebe4328c.JPG

This hits home as I'm only months away from 47, but my company has incentives for annual exams and i/we do take them as well as dental and eye exams as my father and his and my mother's parents are/were all diabetic, an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure, my condolences, Jeff.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Super good advice Ed. I knoe only to well the consequences of not following it. Thanks for posting it and of course prayers being said. 

Members, pay attention. 

Glenn

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Godspeed.

• Like 1

Jerry77
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

hug your loved ones every day

Sorry for your loss Ed....tough time....my Dad was killed at 45...Dave  ---  :(    so young.--- prayers for you and yours...

roadapples

Sorry to hear this Ed, and thanks for good advice...

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

We know hes in a better place Ed, thanks for your advice

KC9KAS

Sorry for the loss of a very close family friend.

tunahead72
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

...  But what you all can do for me is....get  regular health  check ups and hug your loved ones every day.

So sorry to hear this Ed, but I do appreciate your reminder, I think we all need to hear this every once in a while.

rmaynard

Always tough to hear news like that. My mother and father used to say that as they got older, their social circles met regularly at the funeral home. I laughed then, but now I see what they meant.

Condolences to your family and your extended family.

• Like 1

JC 1965

Sorry to hear, prayers just sent.

Sarge

Yes, it is a wake up call - sad to hear the loss and especially another example of an otherwise very young guy. We've lost a lot of similar sub-55 aged folks around here lately, some to this ugly flu problem and most are victim of lack of checkups or preventative care. It makes you think for sure.

I check the list daily at the Post Office - if I'm not on there, then I go about my day as it isn't my turn yet. I get teased a lot about probably being the one guy that wouldn't know he was dead - mostly from our doctor. We just lost our neighbor guy at 58 last month - he'd just finally retired after so many years and made it one full month, that's a slap in the face and one of the nicest guys I know. In my industry it's very common that most of us will retire and last less than a year - just seems a common theme with Laborers , 60% never make it past their first year , crazy.

I have been trying to listen to the doc more and get the checkups he wants. There are tests that I'm just not ready to stand in line for - no thanks.

Sarge

Ed Kennell

Not looking forward to the 10AM - 4PM service tomorrow,  Between Daves classmates, the band followers, and customers and suppliers of the plumbing business, we are expecting hundreds of visitors.     This is just devastating to Daves family and the 3 generation business.     Crystal is left with three school age children.

L-R   Tom, Daves Dad          Jeff          Crystal, Daves Wife         Dave(1979-2018) President of Wilbur Henry Inc,  

Wilbur, Daves Grandfather,92 and still active in the business he started            Mike,my son and Daves BIL       Chad

heating-york-pa-group-1.jpg

Gotta go, heading to Penn State to bring Grandson  Reed home for his uncles service.   About a 6 hour round trip.  Will take him back Monday morning in time for his 8AM class.

Sarge

Our neighbor was like that - knew everyone around the area and didn't have an enemy anywhere, very well-liked guy. I couldn't make his funeral as both of us had the flu - but from what I've heard it took 5hrs to get everyone through the line and folks had to stand outside with the doors open at 25*F to hear the service at the funeral home. Huge place, but this guy had a bigger heart than it could handle. He was a life long biker and member of ABATE and several other clubs - a bunch of those nuts rode their Harleys in the procession despite the cold temps in full leathers, guess it was quite a sight.

A service like that makes me believe that if you are a truly good person - this is your payback at the end of life. Anyone capable of bringing that many people together surely had it figured out.

Sarge

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

It has been a long 10 days of painful grief for the family.    But today Dave was given a loving farewell by many and now the family can begin the healing process.    

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.      

Zeek

Sorry to hear that Ed.

Ed Kennell

It has been a stressful month.   Dave's father collapsed during the funeral and was hospitalized.

Last week I found my wife slumped in a chair still conscious but with severe chest, neck, and jaw pain. 

I immediately called 911 for EMT assistance and checked for a pulse which I could not find.

The EMTs were here in 10 minutes and thankfully,  she never lost consciousness so no CPR was necessary. 

She had a very high erratic heart rate over 200, but after EKGs and a stress test, there was no permanent damage to her heart.   So, next week she will be fitted with a heart and breathing monitor  that she will wear 24/7 for a month to try to determine the cause of the attack.  I feel we are all suffering from stress and broken hearts.

My son and daughter in law in addition to suffering the death of their brother,( Dave was like a brother to Mike) they also have the additional stress of trying to keep the business functioning and now a looming court case to recover Dave's two children from his ex wife..   She had no contact with them for the past four years.   Dave had full custody, but the custody ended with his death.

So, again, I want to thank my RS family for their prayers and support.    Family support  makes all the difference.    Hopefully I will soon again feel like I can contribute to the forum.

• Sad 4

formariz

Really sorry to hear of all of the tribulations you and the family are going through. Life is not always kind. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your dear ones. And you always contribute to the forum anyway. Allowing us to be aware of your pain  and praying for the best for you is also a contribution. It does not have to be all about tractors. After all of these years even though many of us have not met, we are not exactly strangers.

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Ed , I am so sorry for the month that you have had. I hope that they can find out what is wrong with your wife and than things improve in the near future.

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Prayers for you and your family...

• Thanks 1

ericj

sorry to hear of your trials and tribulation and real sorry for not commenting sooner. Prayers for you and your family

eric j 

• Thanks 1

Sarge

We've had months like that in our family - one was 3 deaths within 2wks. I pray the dark cloud over you folks gets moving on somewhere else - you folks have sure had more than your share. Glad to hear the wife is ok, that was a close call and good thing you caught it and knew the signs - too many don't and that's sad.

As long as families stick together they can weather some tremendous times - you always have your family here and we're sure glad to have you Ed, you're a big part of our community and I'm glad you shared your family's issues as of late - we're here for you , always.

Hang in there, it will get better and prayers for you folks.

Sarge

• Thanks 1

Jerry77

So sorry to hear the latest Ed.....prayers for you and your wife and family...

• Thanks 1