MAD MARK

314-H help starting

MAD MARK

Got a 314 that's been laying in a field for looks to be 2-4 years. Got it to turn over in 10°F weather so I bought it. Came with tiller and deck cheap.

Changed the fuses to new ones. A 15 and a 25.

Drained old gas put in new.

New relays. (2)

New starter solenoid. 

New spark plug.

Pulling up on "cold start" level to disengage hydro.

All "test" lights work with oil blinking like my 312. 

Has seat switch bypassed and pto is disengaged. 

Turns over very nicely but won't start. 

Has spark. 

Getting gas to carb, carb float not stuck. 

What am I missing? I know the 312 I have, has points on ignition. Can't find anything in owners manual for this 314 though. Looks like most replacement parts are hard to find as well. 

Edited by MAD MARK

pfrederi

Try spraying carb cleaner in as you crank does it pop at all??  Hold your hand over the carb throat while cranking do you feel suction...if not maybe a stuck valve....

Early 314 had K series later magnums which do you have?

• Like 6

lynnmor

If it has compression, spark and fuel it should fire.  My guess is that the gas isn't getting thru the carb.  Try pouring about a teaspoon full of gas directly in the carb and quickly try starting.  If it fires, remove the carb and clean it.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Paul and Lynn are right on target.    If it has spark and any compression at all it will run if you get fuel to it.

Remove the jets and spray carb cleaner in the holes, then gently screw them in till they touch bottom, then back out 1.5 turns

.   Then with the air cleaner mounting plate off, like Paul said, seal the carb intake with your palm and crank it.

• Like 1

MAD MARK

Has a magnum. Haven't tried holding hand over for suction. I'll try that. And I was going to try starting fluid directly into.

And I know gas is getting in cause I took carb off and cleaned when got it. Looked good put carb back on, gas flying everywhere. Took off and found out I forgot the pin for float that shuts gas off. 

And as far the turn numbers, I put them back to where they were before disassembly of the jets to make sure they were open. 

Edited by MAD MARK

Forest Road

Did you change the fuel lines? Did you thoroughly clean out the carb? Was there any residue in fuel tank? 

If the the answer is no start over. Fuel lines and spark plug are the first things I replace. Also install an inline fuel filter. It only takes one piece of debris to clog a jet. 

WH nut

If its been sitting outside forever and you don't have spark, you may need to clean rust off the flywheel so the mag can pick up the magnets.

MAD MARK

So, just an update. It has spark. I didn't do anything with gas since was inside garage but did shoot some starting fluid and carb cleaner into carb. Turned over and both times loud backfire. 

This engine sounds totally different from my 312-8. Not sure if just used to the 312 or just strange cause of the cold start lever being pulled.

MAD MARK

Another update. It's running, sorta.

Took carb back off and totally cleaned out again with cleaner. Tried that nothing.

With the backfiring using starter fluid directly into the spark plug hole, I was thinking maybe not getting gas. So took off the outlet side fuel line after fuel pump and cranked engine with line into bottle. Was near orange.  BAD GAS. Having emptied the tank and draining the lines I thought I got it all out but guess i didnt. So, I did it again and had clear gas coming out of outlet side after awhile. Hooked everything back up and shot some starter fluid into spark plug hole and it turned over like it was just running a day ago. 

Only issue now is, need new air filter, new carb gasket to run like it should. 

Was also happy to see it go forward and backwards,  also hydro lift working like it should. 

• Like 2