hunterguy92

Can you identify this Wheel Horse?

hunterguy92

Hey everyone, first post here.

I haven't had a Wheel Horse tractor since I was young, but I'm searching for my next one currently. My grandpa was always buying and selling them with lots of tinkering in-between. Knowing my love for all tractors, he gave me and my dad this tractor to cruise around the yard with. I spent days on this thing!

Sadly, somewhere along the line it was sold off to someone in northern Michigan, and I probably have no way of ever finding it again. My question is; can anyone tell me what model this is? I'd really like to find something similar for yard work now! And if by chance you know where the old girl ended up, I'd be ecstatic.

Thank you!

IMG_1051.jpg.78b124bc532a48fbb47d32afa0f893a2.jpg

• Like 6

rjg854

Maybe a Charger or a Raider :confusion-confused:

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS: Being a Hydro with a square hood, no electric PTO clutch and running boards - I'm gonna say that it is a Charger 12.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

953 nut

The seat is from a '65, but it isn't a '65. :text-yeahthat: Probably a Charger or Bronco. The PTO is the later type, perhaps a '72.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Always good to see another Michigander!

jay bee

:text-yeahthat:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:@hunterguy92 

Whereabouts in Michigan are you located?

roadapples
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

The seat is from a '65, but it isn't a '65. :text-yeahthat: Probably a Charger or Bronco. The PTO is the later type, perhaps a '72.

I believe the hood is older than '72...

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor
38 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I believe the hood is older than '72...

You are correct, I believe that hood style was last used in '69. My Commando V8 was a '70 model and had the newer style hood on it. 

• Like 2

Racinbob

Guys, isn't that hood raised up at the hinge point? If I remember correctly that was done on a model in order to clear the engine. :think:

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

Guys, isn't that hood raised up at the hinge point? If I remember correctly that was done on a model in order to clear the engine. :think:

My 10hp and 12hp square hoods have the raised hinge in front. My 867 does not.

JPWH

:WRS:

My 69 Raider 12 had a hood like that.

pfrederi

From the picture it is an hydro (motion control lever) so depending on Year a Charger or just Auto 10/12/14.  That style of PTO was not shown on 1972 parts lists for Chargers , (they still used the side mount long lever style).   In 73 it became a plain Auto and HP name and those parts list do show the more modern hoop PTO.  If it is a 12 then would be 1-0460 hydro gear or 1-0465 piston to  piston....   cna't tell from teh pic what HP engine it is. 

Also he mentioned his Dad did a lot of work on WHs so who knows what was swapped out

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

evanloock

Unless the frame and hood have swapped out, that is a pre-1970 tractor.  It is a long frame tractor meaning it was made with that frame/hood combination, and with full length running boards from 1968-1969.  The bulk of this tractor is either a 1968 or 1969 Charger or Electro 12. Can't quite make out the decal on the fuel tank housing.

Edited by evanloock
  • Like 3

953 nut
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

he mentioned his Dad did a lot of work on WHs so who knows what was swapped out

Image result for johnny cash cadillac

• Like 4

hunterguy92

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate all the input. Now I need to find another and make it my own!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1