WHX??

A Big Red Snapper!

WHX??

The engines were mounted with the pto end toward the front for a forward and mid pto  another shaft  off the flywheel for the drive and rear pto. . Here's a screen shot of that unique power distribution arrangement.

Capture.JPG

Hydro is a Sundstrand on Massey branded units and switched to Eatons for the Snappers. Transmission is a Peerless with a two speed axle. .Six belts in that power transmission tho!

This tractor is quite the beast, comparable to our D series. A real beefy cat 0 three point system was offered with a rear finish mower. Sadly this tractor does not have the 3 pt. :(

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 9

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Cool tractor...

though, kinda threw me off with that title.

• Like 1

WHX??
23 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

threw me off with that title.

Did that just for you Craig!

So after checking this girl out some more it may not go on the auction block. I was thinking I got 500 I did good and would go towards the 520 that replacement (which is a smoker BTW).  At first thought the engine will run great with TLC and might be a good repo for a 520. or just fix the little things wrong (quite a few) and return it to sno duty. The Original Company cab frame has been welded on more times than should have been and is pretty much shot, canvases long gone but that's  neither here nor there. I need another project like another hole in the head tho! :lol: Parts availability might be an issue as well.

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1

ACman
6 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Cool tractor...

though, kinda threw me off with that title.

Garden tractor was my first thought..... D5AA3085-1987-44BC-916A-21756997334B.gif.46b3b6ef8937a685e21b8d2e165b6d3e.gif

I always liked the look of those Snapper/Massey’.

Edited by ACman

Achto
10 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

I need another project like another hole in the head tho! :lol:

Every one should have at least one off brand in their collection Jim. That would be a nice beast to get back into shape as a user.

The decks for the 1650's had an expensive cogged drive belt between the blades. I believe this was to keep the blades in time so that they would not hit each other. I'm not sure if the 1855's had this set up on the deck or not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

expensive cogged drive belt between the blades. I believe this was to keep the blades in time

Correct you are Dan. and it was a 3 bladed shaft driven 54 inch affair. Two sizes were offered in mid and rear mount.  In my research on that other tractor site that was confirmed if you can even find one. Ford had a similar timed deck once and you knew about it right away if they came out of time!

Some more interesting info.

MF_1855_Product_Memo.pdf

13 minutes ago, Achto said:

back into shape as a user

Supposedly top end  is 11 mph....does that mean we can ski behind it?!?! :banana-skier:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Every one should have at least one off brand in their collection Jim. That would be a nice beast to get back into shape as a user.

:text-yeahthat: that one is quite unique as well!  With your great skill set Jim, and given some time to clear the shop of :wh: projects, I’m confident that you could get all the “cobbles” out of that thing and make it sharp and fully functional once again...:handgestures-thumbupright:  

Then maybe I could get a little seat time or a little ski time!:banana-skier:

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell

A Big Red Snapper.......I thought we were having a fish fry.  See the source image

Not sure what Craig was thinking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

WVHillbilly520H

Jim, my opinion is keep it for the uniqueness, then whether or not the Onan would transplant to the 520, the Big Red Snapper could be a candidate for a Predator repower I'm sure Kyle @fast88pu could help you out on some performance upgrades there, and of course fix the little things and return it to fish...oh darn I mean snow duty...Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

I know it is not a :wh: , but it is a very interesting tractor . The drive train is unique .

• Like 4

KC9KAS

I thought the Big Snappers (like yours) and the MF tractors were good machines?!?!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

Here Jimmy let this picture get your fish juices flowing on the Snapper...

Screenshot_20180131-170649.png

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Yah thats choice Billy ..that two bottom is a bad @$$ rig....My fellow furrow dogs would like that! . you really got to see how stout that hitch is to believe it and this would be a excellent tractor or a fel project. Lots of options with all the PTOs for pump mounting and got real beefy front end built like Stormy Daniels with trailer style hubs. I'm sure a Quik Way or Ark could be mounted up. That tractor has the three spool valve on it. Mine only has the two hence the blanked off lever.

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

They are from what I learned so far @KC9KAS.. GTT has been a big help in giving me insight to this rig. Not to mention thieving ther manuals! :ph34r: Speaking of which I see you are on alot ther you are not being turncoat on us are you!?!? :ychain: No worry I see a few of the guys from here  over ther. Actually quite a  informative site and the fellas there seem to be really helpful. Not quite the community we have here tho!:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WHX14 Any idea of the weigh of that Snapper , it must be a monster

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Next thing you know—old Jim is gonna be looking for a Cat 0 12” Brinly to drag around behind that Snapper!  That is one BIG tractor for sure!!!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I took this pic at last years Portage show...

53C8B831-4506-4CFE-93C6-805250186828.jpeg.b89f347b657b2fe5b7c2ba967c5cb1f2.jpeg

they are very stout tractors and look cool when restored for sure...

• Like 2

WHX??
12 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

weigh of that Snapper , it must be a monster

You would think so Jimbo but not real bad but now add the wheel weights and I think the tires may be loaded not sure. The blower weights a good 250 -300 and I bet the mounting bracket for the blower goes 150 so it does add up.

That is a nice one Josh will have to look for it this year, would be a real job and $$ you make mine look like that!

The good news is Cindy gave me blessing to keep it! :greetings-clappingyellow:.

Capture.JPG

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Big_Red_Fred

If you guys look at harrisburg, Pa Clist on Tractors theres a whole bunch of them Snappers some one is selling the Lot, ill try to grab a pic

5a7399849e22c_00h0h_eYVwuQ0JfJz_600x450snapper.jpg.6943ccb5856080dba738f0b7df6a0611.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

KC9KAS
22 hours ago, WHX14 said:

They are from what I learned so far @KC9KAS.. GTT has been a big help in giving me insight to this rig. Not to mention thieving ther manuals! :ph34r: Speaking of which I see you are on alot ther you are not being turncoat on us are you!?!? :ychain: No worry I see a few of the guys from here  over ther. Actually quite a  informative site and the fellas there seem to be really helpful. Not quite the community we have here tho!:)

I admit to being an active member at GTT also. And yes, there are quite a few folks that are on here as well as GTT,

I have on many occasions sent PM's to GTT folks to tell them about Red Square being a Wheel Horse "exclusive" forum, and I have seen some of them "stop in here" for a visit.

• Like 3

Achto
23 hours ago, WHX14 said:

The good news is Cindy gave me blessing to keep it! :greetings-clappingyellow:.

Whoo Hooo!! That's great news. Being that it has been in the family so long, I think that's the right decision.

Would that make it ( WHX14+ ) now? :D

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:Dan—I think you meant:

WHX14:text-+1:

:ychain:

In all seriousness, that is one beast of a machine with a very intriguing PTO drive system.  It would be a fun work beast to have around, and dare I say on the :wh: forum, a fun tractor to show—mainly because of its uniqueness and rarity. If not for hobbyists like us taking in some of these “rare step children” most of them will eventually end up in the scrap heap once their current owners pass off the scene.  I like it too and look forward to seeing what Jim does with it!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Jim does with it!

Probably just fix up the little things, new fluids and fix that dang hydraulic leak. The way it leaks I could fill it and run up and down the drive way to give the black top a seal coating! It's stout enough to hook the boat up and go after @Ed Kennell's fish frys! :lol:

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, Achto said:

Every one should have at least one off brand in their collection

Yup Yup be my red headed stepchild!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX14, and @Big_Red_Fred, look see what I saw today, see if you tell me a few extra things you see in the pics, Jeff.

IMAG4086.jpg

IMAG4087.jpg

IMAG4088.jpg

• Like 7