etohio

k341 problem

etohio

I  just bought a c-160 and the bottom line is I just did not know what I was doing. The problem is  I noticed the engine had been changed but it looked ok and it was a k341. I got it home and noticed a lot more vibration than I thought it should have. The tag on the tractor says c-161  and I saw a post on the differences between 160 and 161 so I started investigating ( I know I should of done it first) the gas tank is on the tower and the battery is behind the engine but  the engine has what i think is the large oil pan and it is mounted with 2 bolts with the right hand mounting holes with nothing in them since they are outside the frame. Do I need to find a small oil pan?  Does the small oil pan mount directly  to  the frame? there are what look like mounting holes that might line up. Any ideas would be a great help Please don't laugh too hard.......

oldredrider

From your decription, you have a C-160. The motor mounts on the right hand side come up from the frame into the oil pan. Check underneath the frame to see if they are there and tight.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

jay bee
1 hour ago, etohio said:

Please don't laugh too hard.......

Believe me, nobodies laughing...and :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 2

etohio

I will take some pictures so that you  guys can  see what  I am talking about. Maybe  it  can  be  repaired if  not I will part  it out.

Ed

Shynon
7 hours ago, oldredrider said:

The motor mounts on the right hand side come up from the frame into the oil pan. Check underneath the frame to see if they are there and tight.

:text-yeahthat:check underneath the bolts come up from the bottom and thread into the oil pan.

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:             Here is a picture of the oil pan we are talking about.

5a6f4c05108ee_Jaysoilpan005.JPG.41e137bf93a781e409e03f85b97a76e9.JPG

• Like 3

chip61

Don't let yourself be discouraged. There is plenty of help on here, and that machine is well worth repairing once you get your issues resolved you will be very happy with it. I have one, and it's my favorite by far-I even like it better than my 300/400 series tractors.

etohio

Here are some pictures. If I am looking at this correctly the worst is that I  have to replace the oil pan. It  appears that there are no bolts mounting the right side of the engine also I think this  is a C-160 but I could be wrong.

Is the oil pan taped for the mounting  on the right or does it go through  to the block?

I really do appreciate any help. I have always loved Wheel Horses and I just jumped in. The tractor came with a nice deck and it does look OK  I am just a  little frustrated but it  will work out.

Ed

DSC00620.JPG

DSC00621.JPG

DSC00625.JPG

DSC00626.JPG

DSC00627.JPG

DSC00630.JPG

DSC00631.JPG

DSC00634.JPG

DSC00635.JPG

DSC00636.JPG

• Like 1

oldredrider

The engine mounting bolts are missing on the right side. They only thread into the pan, not the block. Check to see if the pan is threaded where the missing bolts should be. 

It is a C-160, however, it has a replacement engine. No biggie.

Appears to be a 1976 model.

Let us know if you find threads in the pan.

• Like 2

Herder

Oh yeah It's a c160.  I have two identical to yours, and i love them.  Its worth the tinkering.  Good luck.

ebinmaine

Just chiming in to say Welcome... I just started workin on my C160 and I'm here watching and helping if I can....

etohio

The front mount  is  threaded but the rear looks like it  has a snapped bolt it  it. I might be  able to use a easy out but my luck with them is not good. Any idea what size and thread the mounting bolt should be and how long?

Ed

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I think the bolts are 3/8 -16x1

or 3/8 -16x 1 1/2. I know there 3/8 but to be sure put a rod up the hole and use 1/4 inch shorter bolt. Use lock washers on the bolts.

• Like 1

etohio

Thank you!

Ed

etohio

The Saga Continues.

I was sure the guy I bought this from was knowledgeable but not too sure now. I was working with the mounting bolts and just checked the oil to  see how it looked.  No oil or very very little oil. I have not run it much just enough to get it on and off the truck and up the drive. I am not too sure of this engine now. The good thing is my friend had a C-160  that was basically just for parts. He wants the trans but gave me the complete engine and some parts that my 160 is missing. I will rebuild  this  engine and find a home  for the one that  the  tractor  came with.

Thanks for all the help guys,  though I probably  gave too much for the tractor  I am having fun with it and that is what counts.

Ed

• Excellent 2

953 nut

:WRS:      When you are finished the pride and joy will make you forget the price.

jay bee
4 hours ago, etohio said:

The good thing is my friend had a C-160  that was basically just for parts. He wants the trans but gave me the complete engine and some parts that my 160 is missing.

WOW!!!  Now that's a friend we all would like to have.  :bow-blue:

• Like 1