ericj

DAD

ericj
26 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

My stubborn Dad is 86 and to see him withering away from a wise strapping big man to a withering old fool and it's not a  fun  thing to be a part of.

we watched mom go from 150 lbs down to about 75 lbs from dementia over about 4 or 5 year period. Dad did his best to take care of her for as long as he could. Eventually we or should I say are spouses had to help before it got to much for us too and we put her in a nursing home for several months. luckily from the time it got to bad for dad till her death was less then a year. Us boys felt dad tried to hang on too her too long and did not want to let her go, witch is understandable considering how long they were married. We vowed not to let this happen to him and he said he didn't want to end up in a nursing home. He had softened up some in the last year telling us which nursing home he wanted to go in if he had to. He spent his time after mom passed going to visit friends and family and as strange as it seems he visited the graves of family and some friends. His mother-in-law and her brothers and sisters. Me and my wife would try to have him over for supper at least every other week or so and we as a family always made sure he got to all family get to gatherings. He was still very independent right up till the accident. My SIL was helping him with groceries and laundry but he still made or bought his meals himself. There is so much more I could say about the man good and probably some bad, but he really tried to make a positive difference in us boys and many other people. god bless you dad and may you and mom bask in the sunshine in the good place.

eric j

• Like 2

WHX??

Exactly Eric I know wher you have been and where you are coming from. Going thru the same thing now myself. Prayers again and God Bless.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Eric, I want to give you and your family condolences on dad. Sorry I was late in doing so. Will offer prayer up for him and mom, hoping there enjoying sunny florida. A touching story.

Glenn

• Like 1

JimD

I'm sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

A bit late, but I'm certainly sorry to hear not only of your loss but the circumstances...