Red144runner

Picking up another one

Red144runner

Tomorrow. 520, not sure of the year or hours. Told it runs great, has some rust though. Does have the swept front not sure about the reduction steering I know some early ones didn't have it. Comes with a 48" deck and plow and cement weights. Pics tomorrow 

• Like 7

Cee245

@Red144runner

Good luck!

I've been looking for an exceptionally nice 520 for a while.  

953 nut
1 hour ago, Red144runner said:

Pics tomorrow 

:text-yeahthat:                      :woohoo:                       :wwp:

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Red144runner

She's a rustyyy girl. Why people spend thousands on a great tractor and leave it outside I'll never know. Luckily it runs beautiful. All gauges work except tach. 25" of vaccum at idle? I think that's good. No smoke fires, right up cold. Hydro seems good, moves quick no hesitation drove it up trailer ramp at idle. Lift works nice and fast. But the tins are bad. At this point I need a donor tractor. It's not worth the time sanding and filling. And I'm not against the "patina" look but that won't work with the stuff 1979 and on for me. So it will be stored till I round up parts and time to do it right.

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4637.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

BOB ELLISON

Be sure to pull all the tins off and clean engine. If it's been outside it might have mouse nest in and around the engine. Mine did.

I can't figure out why anyone keeps them outside either. Great save.

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
28 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I can't figure out why anyone keeps them outside either. Great save.

Yes I know sticker on mine was $7500 I got it for $6300 with a CC trade-in, hasn't set outside in my presence since that day in March '98, Jeff.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

shallowwatersailor

I'd say a salty environment. 

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, Red144runner said:

spend thousands on a great tractor and leave it outside I'll never know.

Hard to imagine that perfect hubcap was on the rusted tractor.

1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

f it's been outside it might have mouse nest in and around the engine.

:text-yeahthat:       Remove the rear fenders and clean the grass clippings from the transaxle too.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Hard to imagine that perfect hubcap was on the rusted tractor.

:text-yeahthat:       Remove the rear fenders and clean the grass clippings from the transaxle too.

Yeah it could look like this...

IMAG2013.jpg

IMAG2017.jpg

IMAG2020.jpg

• Excellent 1

Red144runner

I'm sure it's loaded with gunk. My workhorse had the eaton 1100 and it was packed on top. I took a Quick look at the heads (not that you can see much) and they didn't look too bad. 

I bought it from the owner's brother. He is a truck mechanic and kept up on all the maintenance. The oil is clean in engine and trans. The great fitting were kept up with as well. The bearings in the deck are whisper quiet. But it's all going to get torn down and inspected. Might not be this winter but next. In the meantime it's got a safe dry home.

3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes I know sticker on mine was $7500 I got it for $6300 with a CC trade-in, hasn't set outside in my presence since that day in March '98, Jeff.

Wow I told my wife they were around 5k new. I was talking about this on the saw forum I'm on. In 1984 a poulan made craftsman saws. They were well made tough saws. A 3.7 with 20" bar was north of $350. Minimum wage was around $3.50. So that saw cost the average guy a lot of money ($700 by today $$). But they were pro saws built to last and work. Same thing with the Wheelhorse. Now a guy walk in a box store buy a tractor with a 22hp engine for $1800 thinking he bought a freight train, and in 2 years the frame is bent from getting off the seat the same way too many times and it won't start cause the push rods are bent and it's out of time. Quality is never cheap. But cheap is.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Sarge

Poor thing looks like it was covered with brine or something - or right up against a salt air spray off the Atlantic, wow. Nice it runs well - so many were neglected and abused and have the mechanical problems to show it. Tach might be an easy fix in the wiring - especially since everything else is currently working. Nice score, glad to see it saved.

It does amaze me how these things get treated for what they cost back in the day - my D series was the same price as the average mid-sized family sedan in 1974...hard to believe these days but then again, look at the cost of a quality Kubota or similar.

Sarge

• Like 2

Red144runner

I was telling Jeff (WVhillbilly) I have to show some restraint with this one. The list of projects is growing quickly and I want to give it the attention it deserves. I am looking forward to digging into it though. And while I am a kohler guy the Onan does sound/run awesome

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
8 minutes ago, Red144runner said:

I was telling Jeff (WVhillbilly) I have to show some restraint with this one. And while I am a kohler guy the Onan does sound/run awesome

When you have a good one and running right there's no comparison even the new v-twin Kohlers can't keep up with that Onan except for passing fuel cans :auto-layrubber:, now the old opposed twins I believe they were all pretty stout, I hear those Predators can be built up a bit, and of course Briggs and Kohler has their "Big Block" V-twins up to 40hp, but apples to apples 20hp Onans to 20hp Commands...I'll quit rambling...but if the parts come together I have a custom build plotting in my hillbilly noggin, Jeff.

• Like 1

BaySide1
15 minutes ago, Red144runner said:

I was telling Jeff (WVhillbilly) I have to show some restraint with this one. The list of projects is growing quickly and I want to give it the attention it deserves. I am looking forward to digging into it though. And while I am a kohler guy the Onan does sound/run awesome

I have a nice clean 1991 520H here in Worcester if you need to take any pics of the wiring etc..

Also have  a 48" deck, plow, two stage blower and snow Cab

(note: this is a 1991 with the older stickers.)

20171121_140948.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Red144runner

That is very clean. I have a couple places that might have what I need locally

• Like 1

WHX??

Just to throw in my .02 Red144 those sheet metal parts may be restorable but we all know what you mean about a project. thumbs and keep us posted:handgestures-thumbupright:!

• Like 1

Searcher60

Financially, I just do not see a way forward with these. I bought 2 (c160 & 312-8) with issues and I am so far underwater with money spent. Best to pay for a nice low hour one. Parts are incredibly expensive. Sandblasting is a pain. 

If somebody wants a nice low hour (317) 1997 520, with 48” deck, $2500 mite just buy mine. 

• Like 1

Red144runner

The sheet metal as seen is bad. Mechanicaly it's good...so far as I've seen but I do feel confident about that. The frame, axles, and hydro system are solid. Yes it will eat up some cash. But I paid $700. Even if I doubled my money in parts which I won't it would still be a good deal. In the northeast wheel horse is like stihl, no matter the model, or condition they are never cheap. Plus I am in no rush. I have a really cool 3/12 upgrade project todo and I have all the parts in. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Red144runner said:

In the northeast wheel horse is like stihl, no matter the model, or condition they are never cheap.

A great way to phrase that! And so true. ..... but you get what you pay for.....

Please keep us updated on your projects! 

• Like 2

onanparts.com

Nice score on the 520-H! Here is the Onan factory production order for it. :)

P220-I-10955Ds1.jpg

• Excellent 3

Red144runner
3 hours ago, onanparts.com said:

Nice score on the 520-H! Here is the Onan factory production order for it. :)

P220-I-10955Ds1.jpg

That's awesome! Thank you that also confirms what I suspected, that is a '94

• Like 1

onanparts.com
7 minutes ago, Red144runner said:

That's awesome! Thank you that also confirms what I suspected, that is a '94

You're welcome! The production orders were reissued over and over. Hey Onan! Wheelhorse calling, We need another 500 of the P220G with spec of 10955D. Thanks, WH.

Your Onan engine was made Dec 1992. First digits in the serial, L92. Letter is the month. A=Jan, B=Feb etc.

• Like 2

Red144runner

Well boys I couldn't help myself and I took it to work today. After we salted the campus I had some time. First I took the 48" deck off. Aside from surface rust the deck is solid. The bearings and tight and super smooth. Next I looked under neath. Real grimy but not obvious leaks. Frame lols good and solid. Finally I did a compression test. I did the rear jug first and removed the battery. Maybr you don't need to for plug access but it made it easier. While it was out I got a good look at the wire harness all looks good. There is one random switch but I suspect it's for the lights, yet to confirm. I jumped the battery to the leads, didn't turn over as fast as I'd like but the result was good, 120psi. The front was easy and I put the battery back, it spun much faster and showed around 125psi. I'd say they both are. So the engine is nice and tight, the 422 hrs now seems likely.

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1