ebinmaine

'74 C160-8 Restomodification in Process

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Fuses should be rated by wire size. Google is your friend. 

1 minute ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@ebinmaine @oldredrider is right.

wire size does determine fuse size. So if you wired your tractor with 14 gage use the 15amp fuse.

16 gage 7.5amp

14 gage wire needs 15amp 

12 gage needs 20amp

Thank you gentlemen! 

I saved this little chart to my email so as to put it in the tractor info file.

• Like 2

jebbear

Wow, talk about being late for the party, I just noticed your thread & will be hitching along for the ride! I guess I sometimes get too bogged down with my own rebuild & kind of forget to look around at what others are doing. My bad. Anyway, looking good and you're making great progress!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

:popcorn::techie-typing::coffee:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, jebbear said:

Wow, talk about being late for the party, I just noticed your thread & will be hitching along for the ride! I guess I sometimes get too bogged down with my own rebuild & kind of forget to look around at what others are doing. My bad. Anyway, looking good and you're making great progress!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Great to have you! 

I've been watching your impressive build for info. 

:notworthy: Jeb! 

6 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:popcorn::techie-typing::coffee:

I could use some of that coffee! 

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
On 3/13/2018 at 3:51 PM, BOB ELLISON said:

@ebinmaine your not going to use a fuse ???? You need a fuse for the lights and the voltage gage. That's why I use the A  terminal on the switch that's for accessories. A fuse or 2 never  hurts and it will help stop cooked wires.

My honey showed me how to add stuff to "paint" files.

How's this?

5aaef3862beef_Wiringschematic1974C160-8.jpg.e756ea0106a013c4d453dbdc42704b0c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine a few questions : Does you Honey do shed work for other people ? I have a C 120 that could use her expert sanding ability.

How did you rate that nice sofa in your shed. All I have is a 5 gallon bucket to sit on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine a few questions : Does you Honey do shed work for other people ? I have a C 120 that could use her expert sanding ability.

How did you rate that nice sofa in your shed. All I have is a 5 gallon bucket to sit on.

Jim, she does not generally hire out to the public. I could attempt negotiations and advise of outcome later.

As to the nice couch being in the workshop. Actually, I used to have two workshops. Note, used to have. I now have my one Workshop .... the shed. The one that I "used to have" is downstairs in the cellar. It's part den, part workshop. 

That has been commandeered by my honey. I am okay with that for the most part. Especially when she does most of the work on my tractor.:ROTF:

She still "let's" me use the downstairs workshop occasionally. .. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

classiccat

Nice progress!  

Maybe she'll let you mow with it in a few weeks!  :lol:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, classiccat said:

Nice progress!  

Maybe she'll let you mow with it in a few weeks!  :lol:

HAHAHAHAHA  !!!!

Well, let me answer that in two halves.

1. We don't use either one of these tractors to mow so I'm off the hook for this one.

(We have next-to-nothing for a lawn)

2. We still have about 3 1/2 to 4 feet of snow here. Might possibly maybe be more than a few weeks...

Last Tuesday :

IMG952018031495070434024.jpg.44f16a79086d22fc5191affc5801c945.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine where the heck are you in Maine , next to Canada ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine where the heck are you in Maine , next to Canada ?

I wish... 

Southwest Maine. In the mountains.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Excellent work Mr. Eric and the lovely Ms. Honey!!!!:greetings-clappingyellow: that sheet metal is looking great.  I’m impressed. I hope our local expert Dan @Achto weighs in here...

Nothing like getting an unexpected shock or welding arc while moving your hands around on an engine!!!!:scared-shocked:Good to see that you have that mess cleaned up and organized...

That rear end “stuff” looks like coffee with way to much creamer in it!!!! Gross! No wonder those gears are worn a bit. Keep hitting everything with rust penetrant and hopefully it will free easier kinda like JackRabbit’s steering wheel!  

• Like 2

AMC RULES

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Thanks Craig!

• Like 1

cpete1

"Shaping Foam for seat"

Electric carving knife works good too, (Notice picture of custom truck I built long time ago) (Especially the knife your family would use for Thanksgiving carving) I went 3 years without telling anybody. I'd just sit and think about it when we were having turkey... until I finally dropped the knife once into gear oil by mistake, then I had to come clean...still have the knife... Your honey is AWESOME..... Thanks for the electric schematic also. Progress is looking great, That much snow looks scary...

Keep posting Eric!!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, cpete1 said:

"Shaping Foam for seat"

Electric carving knife works good too, (Notice picture of custom truck I built long time ago) (Especially the knife your family would use for Thanksgiving carving) I went 3 years without telling anybody. I'd just sit and think about it when we were having turkey... until I finally dropped the knife once into gear oil by mistake, then I had to come clean...still have the knife... Your honey is AWESOME..... Thanks for the electric schematic also. Progress is looking great, That much snow looks scary...

Keep posting Eric!!

Chris

Electric carving knife is exactly what she used! I'll show her the video later and maybe she'll try out the method shown.

I don't think I'd get too worried about the gear oil in the turkey. All natural petroleum distillate products are probably better than some of the interesting stuff that is in much of our food anyways.

Just tell them it is your method of "distribution and division and incision tool" maintenance.

Thanks! 

• Haha 2

cpete1

When I dropped the knife, the "motor" end of the knife fell partially into a container of 90 wt gear oil, the oil went into the motor of the knife via the ventilation grille on the back. I cleaned it the best I could but the knife never had the speed that it originally had, plus you could smell the residual gear oil burning off the armature when it ran, really bad. There was no way I could not accept blame for the faulty knife so Mom told me to keep the knife, bless her departed soul. I do appreciate your suggestion as to avoiding the situation though very much, too bad I didn't know of you way back then. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Well, We did a bit of work on the C the last few days.

A few coats of primer on the de-rusted sheet metal.

I ordered a metal gas tank from @A-Z Tractor. Thanks Lincoln!!!!

That came in and we sanded and began priming it.

My honey glued the seat foam on to the frame.

20180324_183956.jpg.6cb458b3be3677b65ed57bb38dc25fd1.jpg

She'll finish trimming that up at some point and begin covering it.

Me?

Oh, I had all KINDS o' fun with hubs !!!

Lemme just start by stating that I'm perfectly fine with the multi-piece unit in the next pic... then I'll explain.

20180326_153539.jpg.f96a369181192ea2e7ba2d1c1f56c3c8.jpg

OK so if you look at the outer edge of the inner portion, right next to the key slot, you'll see where some person in the past (not me, I'd admit it) beat the living stuffing out of the hub trying to make it fly off. Or to the moon ... or whatever.

I do not believe they were successful because the other side did not leak much oil and this side has NO visible seal even left in there and this is a different style hub than the other side. (See my post earlier today in Wheelhorse main section)

There are similar marks on the outside of the hub as well.

So... I was not super happy leaving this hub on when done knowing it may already be cracked and I wanted to do an experiment to see how much it takes to snap one of these infamous brittle hubs.

1/4" impact driver set on high broke it with my large 3 jaw puller.

Then I smacked off the rest of it and heat/cool/oil/repeat/etc for awhile and off it came... very reluctantly !!!

The axle shaft has some roughness from this one being so rusted on there.

The other side looks great and slid off with minimal resistance.

Also on the plus side - the keyways look great !

• Like 5

PeacemakerJack

I’m pretty sure Eric that you could make a :wh: Picasso piece of garage art out of the pieces of that hub if you arranged them and glued them randomly on a metal back plate in a contrasting color!:text-lol:

I’m glad you were able to finally get that thing off of there—even if it was in pieces...

The project is looking good:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

cpete1

Wow Eric, That thing fought you that bad??? How much rust was on the shaft to hold it like that? Just asking for my own info so I know what to anticipate...

Chris

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, cpete1 said:

Wow Eric, That thing fought you that bad??? How much rust was on the shaft to hold it like that? Just asking for my own info so I know what to anticipate...

Chris

On the record. I I really did treat this as kind of an experiment for my own future knowledge. Like I posted earlier, this Hub already had significant denting damage on both sides so I had very low confidence that I was going to be willing to use it at all, much less actually get it off in one piece without immense patience.

I'll try to clean up the axle shaft and show the rust if I can.

If I really did want to save this hub, I'm sure I could have. I say that because the penetrating oil was definitely doing its job by coming out the bottom when it was being sprayed into the top.

Only two of those chips came off with the 3 jaw puller. The rest I used the hammer simply to get them out of the way so I could get to the small heavy duty Center Circle which I knew the puller would be able to manage.

If I was going to take the time to remove this Hub I would have parked the tractor in such a position as to put the set screw at the top and began several weeks ago by spraying penetrating oil into the set screw hole.

There are multiple different methods that could have been used that are in posts on this forum.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Changed the trans fluid for the 4th? time today. Looks acceptable for the season.

Need to get some wheel seals in from  Lowell S. for that.

Hubs arrived from @A-Z Tractor. They'll be painted soon and installed. 

20180331_193906.jpg.9bd78a34c3a5b60cbd8db1fd7c7e2ff0.jpg

My honey trimmed the foam for the seat and layed out the vinyl.

20180331_193738.jpg.12709226abed2a0810864409ea37aa86.jpg

Anndd.......

I did a bit of painting !!!!

I'm going to warn the color purists.

It isn't red.

But it's a color no other manufacturers use that I know of.

20180331_193813.jpg.36519f13ad17eba3f674b58975a0464d.jpg

I chose a satin to be more forgiving of the rough surface.

20180331_194011.jpg.b313a9a7e108194c37ae015111061753.jpg

20180331_193757.jpg.634ef7f8b8ce54fbda6daf33f4e31529.jpg

Tank and wheels will be Navajo white.

• Like 5

Joshn569

Looking great! I look foward to seeing that seat all finished up 👍

• Like 1

classiccat

Lookin' good.... That's a killer white!

Whether you like it or not... If i tilt my laptop just the right way.... that hood & pan are still red.  :ychain:

• Haha 3