dmhill

Dont know what I have...?

dmhill

Can any one tell me what this is, other than just a Wheel Horse? The identification badging is missing, unless I am missing where it may be. The engine is a 14 horse Kohler, it is a hydro (both drive and deck lift), but other than that I am not sure about year/ model/ type of hydro drive/ if the hydro drive is one I can tap into for other hydraulic attachments such as lifts (3 point), etc...

Thank you in advance to all you WH guru's,

Darren

P.S.-Is there a good way to get the steering wheel off without breaking it as I have another good one on the machine next to it.

Unknown_black_hood_1.png

Unknown_black_hood_2.png

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Bert

I’d say it’s likely an 80 through 84 C-145.

As far as the hydro, I believe the early black hoods used the sunstrand and the later models used the Eaton. A pic of where the transmission oil filter is mounted can clear up what one you have. 

Edited by Bert
  • Like 2

Sparky

It’s a C-145 Auto. I think the I’d tag  is under the dash. Give us those numbers and we can narrow down the year. 

• Like 3

dmhill

Thank you for all the info so far. Here are pics of the oil filter location and the best I seem to able to do on the ID tag...it it soooo faint. Also I was told it used to have a plastic fender, however, someone had ordered a new one for it (years ago) and they sent a metal one, which is on it now.

Unknown_black_hood_4.png

Unknown_black_hood_3.png

• Like 1

Bert

That’s an Eaton hydro :handgestures-thumbupright: 

As far as the plastic fenders not many left for obvious reasons, most people use the 300 400 or 500 serious fender pan. 

Yours looks to have the C-81 or c-161 type which isn’t a bad thing. 

• Like 1

dmhill

Ok, great! Thank you so much for the info.

Do you have any ideas about how to get that steering wheel off without damaging it (the good on on the machine next to this one). ?

ClassicTractorProfessor

Yep...C145 auto...I have both its little sibling (C125) and its older cousin (C141), though both of mine are 8 speed models. This is a picture of my C125 with the original plastic fenders still on it that shows the reason a lot of them have been changed out over the years. Mine now has the same fender pan yours has, borrowed off my C141, but plan on finding a set off of a 3-4-500 series to go back on it. The later fenders seem to look better in my opinion. Looks like you scored a nice solid tractor there, I never really cared for the black hood models until I bought one, now they are one of my favorites. 

22366784_474735419593454_4394838531651653059_n.jpg

• Like 1

wallfish
34 minutes ago, dmhill said:

Do you have any ideas about how to get that steering wheel off without damaging it

Many members battle with those things, oil, wait, try to get it off, oil wait, try to get it off and repeat. I just do it the quick way and cut the shaft below the tower. Then either weld or use a 3/4 shaft coupler to put it back.

• Like 4

dmhill

I really appreciate everyone who has replied and given me information/advice! Even though this one runs and mows I plan on beginning a "restoration" on this C145 with new seals, paint, etc...

Will be my first Horse resto-project so I hope you folks will help guide me through the process. I already have good running and operating: B80, B100, and a C120.

Thank you again,

Darren

WHX??

You bet Mr Hill, will help any way we can but it's gonna cost you :ychain:.... hate to be greedy but any chance we can have a peek see at your other horses? 

• Like 2

jellyghost

Are the side stickers on this Wheel Horse original?  

gwest_ca

Looks like it is model number 01-14KE04 making it a 1983 model.

Garry

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
7 hours ago, jellyghost said:

Are the side stickers on this Wheel Horse original?  

First thing I spotted were those hood decals.Off an older Horse,for sure.They're fine,but not  original on a C-145.I also like the looks and practicality of the steel fender pan.That damn plastic pan cracks when you just look at it.

• Like 2

dmhill

I haven't a clue about the hood decals, or the hood for that matter :). What ya see is the way she came to me (as is). I do have the "original" plastic which is it really bad shape, of course. Here are a few pics of my other horse stuff which somehow keeps showing up in my garage, shop, backyard, etc....

B_80.png

B_100_pic_2.png

C_120.png

C_145_parts.png

Misc_stuff.png

B_100.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Here's another method for wheel removal - the puller/bearing separator can be rented from almost any auto parts stores. Make sure the puller isn't already damaged or junk - it has to pull straight with the shaft. Works on most of them, but not all as some are so rusted it requires a hydraulic press that is much larger and more powerful. I've maxed out my 30 ton pushing wheel centers out, just fyi. Some machine shops will do the job if you pull the dash along with the steering shaft/wheel - it can get tricky but it does work. Some just prefer to cut them and I can't argue with that - but I like a challenge, lol. I have yet to meet one that wouldn't give up one way or another. Kroil is your friend, may have to put a hard load on it first , soak and repeat and keep tightening the puller - they eventually give up the fight, this one took a couple hours but finally a bang and it fell off by itself.

5a6df927aab24_20170701_2126431.jpg.0962f19faa84f2e4a4e96cc88da6abe2.jpg

5a6df943edfb1_20170701_2126341.jpg.e359b3710b29ab11da399bac07a5542e.jpg

5a6df96318419_20170701_2125491.jpg.3761bb65e5ca8a5d7d8ea318a55e81f5.jpg

This was on the bigger D series and they used a Ross steering box . It's either cut the shaft, which is part of the steering box and splice it back together or figure out a way to pull the wheel. They mounted these things in a pretty tight area by the hydraulic pump and center lift system, pulling the box/dash/wheel is not really much of an option to use a hydraulic press like some other models that use the simpler fan gear system.

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dmhill

Ok, great. Thanks for the information. I was going to take a saw to the bad one I want to remove and deconstruct it to learn more about how they attached it before I started in on trying to remove the good one from the parts tractor.

Darren

Sarge

Or, use the broken wheel as a test of using a bearing splitter - you can't really hurt that current wheel any further, lol...

Sarge

dmhill

I certainly will give er a try first. Thaks for the advice.

Darren