Sign in to follow this  
Red144runner

37" deck refurb

Red144runner

Every winter I go through all my spring/summer equipment, I sneak it in with the equideerpment at work. First on my list is the deck off the tractor. It is in very good shape, luckily the previous owner did do minimum maintenance. First things first pull those blades off. Last year they put up a good fight, the nuts were way too tight but they came off with some heat. When I put the nuts on last year I know I didn't crank them down but it was even worse. 

Try 1: 1 1/8" impact gun. Wouldn't budge. Kroil over night

Try 2: impact again, no luck

Try 3: 3/4" socket wrench with 1 1/8" socket and heating up nuts with acetolyne torch and 2 guys holding deck, 1 1/8" wrench underneath. Success.

The threads were good, but dry and rusty. I'm gonna never-seize them this time. Next scrape and wash the deck ready for prime

Ill also add these decks are super tough. Not only are the spindle bolts huge (industry standard usually 15/16" nuts these are 2 sizes up at 1 1/8") the deck never deflected being pulled in separate directions. I've broken lesser machines using much less force

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4598.JPG

IMG_4599.JPG

• Like 1

dcrage

Yes those 37” SD decks are tough. I have hit so many things over the 25+ years I have had this deck. And it still running well!

Edited by dcrage

clueless

Once you've got it cleaned, check around all your bolts that hold the deck to the cradle especially the fronts. These 37" decks can have cracking issues in those area.

Red144runner
11 hours ago, clueless said:

Once you've got it cleaned, check around all your bolts that hold the deck to the cradle especially the fronts. These 37" decks can have cracking issues in those area.

I'll check tomorrow. I haven't noticed any before but I'll know for sure