OLDASDIRT

SUNDSTRAND REBUILD KIT

RetroMower
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Because virtually every Sunstrand hydro parking brake is messed up.  People engage it while moving, it grinds down the brake finger and releases ground metal that damages the hydro unit.

There is a  heavy snap ring on the inside end of the axle to hold it in.  if you have excessive end play much over 1/8 inch on either side) then you should probably open up the differential and take a look to see if the groove the snap ring rides in is badly wallowed out.. 

I have at least 1\4" side to side movement. The housing hitting the hubs is what is stopping further movement. How tragic is it if that snap ring groove is washed out?  Im taking a stab and saying a machine shop is going to have to build up a weld, lathe it back down an recut the snap ring groove 

pfrederi
17 hours ago, RetroMower said:

I have at least 1\4" side to side movement. The housing hitting the hubs is what is stopping further movement. How tragic is it if that snap ring groove is washed out?  Im taking a stab and saying a machine shop is going to have to build up a weld, lathe it back down an recut the snap ring groove 

How far out can you pull the axle???

The end of the axle is splined to weld it and cut it and respline it would be very very expensive.  Used ones are not that hard to come by.  also it may be possible to drill it and put in a roll pin WH did that on some earlier models.

RetroMower
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

How far out can you pull the axle???

The end of the axle is splined to weld it and cut it and respline it would be very very expensive.  Used ones are not that hard to come by.  also it may be possible to drill it and put in a roll pin WH did that on some earlier models.

Each axle has about 1/4" movement. Im about to split this puppy so stay tuned. I can also see why this was leaking so bad and had so much play. A lack of bearing and seal is the likely culprit 

20191024_135840.jpg

20191024_135849.jpg

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
On 10/23/2019 at 2:33 PM, 953 nut said:You can repair the parking brake while you are in there too.

Could you elaborate on that, please?  I heard the pawl is an unobtanium type replacement part NOS.

EB-80/8inPA
3 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Could you elaborate on that, please?  I heard the pawl is an unobtanium type replacement part NOS.

Edit: This refers to the brake repair part of your quote that got lost.

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Edit: This refers to the brake repair part of your quote that got lost.

The parking pawl is a Wheel Horse Part not Sunstrand so I doubt LJ fluid power would have it.  You can weld yours up to fix it or see if A To Z tractor has a usce one.  This thread is very old.

EB-80/8inPA

I just noticed that!  2019!  

oliver2-44

@EB-80/8inPA You may want to start a new thread on you sunstrand rebuild. I also have one to rebuilt sometime in the future.

• Like 1