OLDASDIRT

SUNDSTRAND REBUILD KIT

KC9KAS

@OLDASDIRT Thank you for the information. Maybe this info should be pinned?!?!

Oh, and :WRS:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-thankyoublue:   Great tip there.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

http://www.novahydraulics.com/

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

BOB ELLISON

What's in the kit ??

• Like 2

ztnoo

Its right here in Hoosierland...........Wheel Horse country!!!

Nova Hydraulics

6212 Parliament Dr.

Indianapolis, IN 46220

Phone: 317-322-0242

Fax: 317-322-0247

http://www.novahydraulics.com/contact.html

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs: Thanks for that useful link!

• Like 1

Sarge

Glad to hear that - right now we only know of LJ Fluid Power in Michigan - they stellar service and know these older Sundstrand units very well , I've bought a lot of parts from them recently, great bunch up there. From what I was told, a lot of the parts for the older units are still being made - that pump setup was used for a long time in other equipment besides WH so parts stock is still around, which is good to hear for us.

I'd be really interested to see what is in the "kit" specifically - is this just a re-gasket/re-seal kit or something more advanced like the bearings, thrust plates, ect...?

Sarge

• Like 2

953 nut
20 hours ago, OLDASDIRT said:

I'm rebuilding a Sundstrand #90-1136 that came out of my 1974 WH B-100. I Found this company www.novahydraulics.com that has the entire rebuild kit PN / 99890. It shipped quick too. Gordy is the man you want to talk to regarding Sundstrand units. Good hunting all. 

:WRS:            Inquiring minds want to know;  what comes in the kit?

• Like 2

OLDASDIRT

Here's what comes in the kit. There is a pump gasket { between the pump and the transaxle} that is missing from the photo otherwise this is it.

DSC00062.JPG

DSC00063.JPG

• Like 5

JimmyJam

Well @OLDASDIRT, I used your advice and consulted with Gordy of Nova Hydraulics to rebuild or have parts for my 1968 Sundstrand #90-2046 and they recommended I contact  LJ  Fluid Power in Michigan. Thanks again @Sarge for your referral! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

Just be sure to have the drawing and parts list in hand when you talk to them. They do not have the same parts listings or the WH drawings from the Sundstrand manual. They can easily cross reference the part numbers you have directly over to the Sundstrand numbers they use, so it's not an issue.

Be ready to go quickly and ask any questions about parts groups as you go along. This is a very busy shop and the number of questions they will answer is pretty limited. They also don't seem to be willing to do any diagnostic guesswork, if there is some problem beyond the known issues in the pump/motor you're better off sending it in for rebuild work. That's why I brought up swapping the unit out for the later C series model piston to piston pump and motor. The latter version can be repaired and rebuilt, the early hydrogear is very limited in what parts can be fixed.

@pfrederi

Has posted photos of the internal differences between the early hydrogear units and the later piston to piston pump, those pictures really tell the tale of what little can be done with the early Sundstrand.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

JimmyJam

Thanks  again @Sarge! My plan is to swap out my Sundstrand for the same 1968 Electro 12 "suppose-to-be-working" from Joe's Outdoor that I purchased. My last resort will be to use the 1973 No Name Auto piston-to-piston Sundstrand. I may want to someday want to restore the No Name, or maybe not, it has a Kohler breakerless ignition and the module went bad. :( Oh well, I think at this time I want to make the Electro 12 drive/work first. Purchased hoses/gasket from @wheelhorseman along with seals for the valve rods. Lowell recommended it. I don't even know what/where the valve rods are?? Newbie to the hydro world.

Sarge

Valve seals are in the lift valve,  good idea and there are threads on here to do that process.

The breakerless system can be converted back to points, not really hard. I don't have a computer right now,  so I won't be around much.

Sarge

Lane Ranger

Very good information!

bc.gold

Soon I'll be rebuilding a sundstrand in-line series hydro, FYI the motor and pump cartridges from the Cub ( C series ) sundstrand will for the in-line hydro.

Here's the wear and torque specs for the Sundstrand in-line. To get my valve plated back into shape I hand lapped them with abrasives on a thick glass plate.

Just be sure to use a new glass plate for grit changes.

Torque Specs.jpg

Wear Specs.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

gt14rider

Hay bcgold can you post torque spec and wear spec info again  can't  open them in last post. Thanks 

itsmeraymond
On 1/25/2018 at 5:08 AM, OLDASDIRT said:

I'm rebuilding a Sundstrand #90-1136 that came out of my 1974 WH B-100. I Found this company www.novahydraulics.com that has the entire rebuild kit PN / 99890. It shipped quick too. Gordy is the man you want to talk to regarding Sundstrand units. Good hunting all. 

Nice. I'll definitely gonna take a look at that source!

Herder

So I've read this thread all the way through and I find my self being a little confused. :blink: The kit that is pictured and discussed here in the thread is just a seal kit (?) which I should have on hand prior to swopping out a Sundstrand hydro pump.  But should I be looking into some of the other items mentioned here and does someone offer a complete rebuild kit with seals, vales, seats ect, do Nova hydraulics or LJ Fluid Power offer a complete kit with all the necessary items?  I prefer not to piecemeal kits from different venders if possible. Thanks.   

pfrederi

LJ will have most any part you need but there is no "Kit" Unless something is broken seals/Orings and gaskets are all you would need.  All the seals and O rings are widely available under commercial  standard #s   See pinned post about Sundstrand hydro O rings.

Edited by pfrederi

Herder
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

LJ will have most any part you need but there is no "Kit" Unless something is broken seals/Orings and gaskets are all you would need.  All the seals and O rings are widely available under commercial  standard #s   See pinned post about Sundstrand hydro O rings.

Thank you.

RetroMower

Glad i took a gander at this thread. I too am in the middle of a thorough cleaning/sprucing up of my 74 B100. Besides the electrical harness needing replacement, the previous owner said the trans worked fine but it leaked out the axles shafts. He was kind enough to give me the axle needle bearings and seals that he never got around to installing.  Today was my first real look at it and the axles do have play horizontally and vertically as well as the transaxle being able to drift side to side between the hubs a good quarter inch. Im wondering where is that sunstrand 90-1136# located so i can know if im in the right church wrong pew? I never split a hydro tranny before so there is likely other questions in the future. 

20191023_130048.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
25 minutes ago, RetroMower said:

I never split a hydro tranny before so there is likely other questions in the future.

If your power transfer and pump are working well and bearings and seals on the axles are all you need to replace it couldn't be easier (once the hubs and hitch pin are removed). Remove the pump/piston to piston assembly as an assembled unit. Remove and split the case, pull the seals and bearings then press in the new pieces. Lowell can hook you up with the needed gaskets. You can repair the parking brake while you are in there too.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

RetroMower
40 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If your power transfer and pump are working well and bearings and seals on the axles are all you need to replace it couldn't be easier (once the hubs and hitch pin are removed). Remove the pump/piston to piston assembly as an assembled unit. Remove and split the case, pull the seals and bearings then press in the new pieces. Lowell can hook you up with the needed gaskets. You can repair the parking brake while you are in there too.

Pardon my language but how the heck can you tell from the photo that my parking brake is messed up? :think: Which it is btw. Lever doesn't look factory and is jammed. Perhaps this makeshift lever is what you meant. 

One other thing. When the tranny is back together and the hubs go back on, are they the only thing keeping the axle from walking side to side? 

Edited by RetroMower

pfrederi

Because virtually every Sunstrand hydro parking brake is messed up.  People engage it while moving, it grinds down the brake finger and releases ground metal that damages the hydro unit.  This one is worn should be straight across at blue arrow

There is a  heavy snap ring on the inside end of the axle to hold it in.  if you have excessive end play much over 1/8 inch on either side) then you should probably open up the differential and take a look to see if the groove the snap ring rides in is badly wallowed out.. 

InkedIMG_3306_LI.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2